U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 09:38 PM

856 posts, read 234,250 times

Advertisements

I read this article earlier this morning and couldn't believe what I was reading: The Business of Buying, Selling & Using Human Corpses For "Medical Research"

Forgive me if I have placed this thread in the wrong forum, I didn't know where else to put it.

I always admired people who voluntarily donated their bodies before they died to medical science with the purpose of aiding in the research of ways to find cures for diseases and to prolong life for others. It's such a noble cause and I always thought it was helpful for other humans of the future. After reading this article, I think I was wrong in that assumption.

The bodies of the dead that are "donated" to supposed 'medical research' are NOT treated with dignity and respect. They are treated like garbage from a dumpster. These bodies are like a commodity. It's so sad, disrespectful....and sickening.

It's mostly poor people that these cadaver-hunting businesses thrive off of. A lot of income-limited people cannot afford funeral expenses and everything that goes along with that - so, the cadaver-hunting businesses make them a 'sweet' deal: We will cremate your loved one AFTER we use their body for medical research purposes.

So...without much choice, the grieving family of their dearly departed loved one caves in and agrees to the 'deal'. IF they ONLY KNEW *how* their loved one's body is mistreated after these cadaver-hunting businesses take possession of them. It broke my heart reading through this article, as I have lost a loved one years ago and am SO grateful that our family was able to afford a proper funeral and burial for her.

What has this world come to?!

Human bodies sold whole or in parts in a supposed 'booming' business? How can a mass group of people be so INHUMANE with regard to the dead? Is money really THAT important to SO many people that they lose ALL perspective, respect and HUMANITY for the bodies of people who have passed on, and whose family members TRUST in these cadaver-hunting businesses to carefully treat their loved ones body with care, dignity and respect?!

If you ever found yourself severely limited with the financial resources to properly bury your loved one, would you EVER agree to relinquish their body to these cadaver-hunting businesses if they contractually agree to cremate them and absolve you of all cost with regard to those fees, knowing what REALLY goes on with the treatment of your loved one's physical body?

Do you think this is morally, ethically or spiritually acceptable, or do you think this is extremely inappropriate and an abominable way to treat the bodies of those who have passed on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 09:11 AM

11,548 posts, read 13,127,010 times
very unfortunate....shows you not to go through a broker.
I would have my body donated to the hospital directly...no middle man.
Even if really broke I'd pass on the cadaver hunting businesses.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:16 PM

4,305 posts, read 1,831,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post

.... knowing what REALLY goes on with the treatment of your loved one's physical body?

Do you think this is morally, ethically or spiritually acceptable, or do you think this is extremely inappropriate and an abominable way to treat the bodies of those who have passed on?
Just to give you some perspective, you know about my son. He died of obvious carbon monoxide poisoning. He car was still running some twelve hours after he had died, when he was found. So I assumed a few blood tests and tissue samples would be taken for the autopsy.

At the funeral home he was laid out in his casket looking pretty good really. Pretty much like he looked the last time I saw him, three weeks earlier.

A few months later the Autopsy Report was sent to me. They had taken his body apart!

All his organs were removed, weighed, cut up and examined, including his brain. They had cut his head open too. That was just the autopsy.

This is the first time I have been able to write something like this about him without breaking down.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:24 PM

15,561 posts, read 47,057,783 times
That is standard procedure for an autopsy that may be related to a crime or the death has elements that are not explained. An autopsy cannot determine cause of death if it assumes and goes by superficial evidence or hearsay. Example, the CO poisoning could have been subsequent to a heart attack, internal hemorrhaging, seizure, or earlier poisoning by alcohol, drugs, or even food poisoning.

I recognize the seeming insensitivity, and the mechanics of what happens after death are NEVER pretty. The descriptions of how bodies decay, even with embalming, are not for the faint of heart. Consider that there are operations on the living that open the head, and remove and exchange organs, and every lab that does pathology work trying to determine if there is cancer has to cut up and examine organs and tissue. While many autopsies return only expected findings, others bring justice and save other lives.

In no way does that diminish your loss, and the loss of offspring is horrendous. I am sorry for your loss. I hope you find peace.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:01 PM

5,818 posts, read 4,866,657 times
They're dead.. I doubt they care. As long as the surviving family members don't see what goes on, no harm done. It's human nature to joke about everything... ever wonder what hospital staff talk about when you are under the operating table? Humans are humans. They like to crack fun at another's expense, gossip, and say anything to generate a laugh and boost their egos. I'd say lighten up and don't worry about it.

Sorry to hear about the things that went on, but not everyone has the same level of emotional empathy for others, especially people outside their immediate social circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology