Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 03:18 AM

1 posts, read 765 times

Advertisements

I love science I want to go to college for it but heres the thing all science interest me I don't know what to pick so I need help on what to write a thesis on. I'll admit o don't know everything and I only know a little in every category but I am willing to learn everything. Only thing is I'm not a genius so I figured out that I can probably one master one subject so my problem is finding the one subject that helps humanity the most. So I need help if any9ne can help please chime in, I welcome it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 01:06 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Learn math and chemistry first. A solid background those areas will get you ready for many of the branches of science.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:17 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Learn math and chemistry first...
You should also be able to write well, as there will be LOTS of writing.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wolf View Post
I love science I want to go to college for it but heres the thing all science interest me I don't know what to pick so I need help on what to write a thesis on. I'll admit o don't know everything and I only know a little in every category but I am willing to learn everything. Only thing is I'm not a genius so I figured out that I can probably one master one subject so my problem is finding the one subject that helps humanity the most. So I need help if any9ne can help please chime in, I welcome it.
So you're still in high school?

Don't worry about benefiting humanity right this instant. Just pick a topic of the day, and write about that. Look at the last science test you took. Was there a question on that test that you not only knew cold, but you could have written more if they'd asked or if you'd had time? That's a clue. Write about that.

Another clue might be a news article reporting on something that made you think "wow, is that cool or what?" Write about that.

If you keep on following that "wow" factor, you'll grow into where you are meant to be. And that in itself will benefit humanity.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:34 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Judging by the original post it's an area where the OP has a lot of room for improvement.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:23 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
This is a very important point to consider. A lot of people who pursued scientific careers when I studied went in the the assumption that it would be the complete opposite of literature and that all they would be doing is studying theory/conducting experiments.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:23 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Wolf View Post
I love science I want to go to college for it but heres the thing all science interest me I don't know what to pick.
Let's get our terms straight - - -

SCIENCE n. - The systematic study of the nature and behavior of the material and physical universe, based on observation, experiment, and measurement, and the formulation of laws to describe these facts in general terms.

In other words, a scientist is one who is curious about the physical universe, and intensely observes, experiments, and carefully measures "stuff."

If you're already involved with "scientific" hobbies like studying weather, biology, physics, or chemistry, you will enjoy a career as a scientist. A good scientist is thorough, painstaking, and obsessively concerned with accumulating facts that support or refute the hypothesis he is testing.

If you have no scientific hobbies, you had better start a few before you commit to an expensive and time consuming education in a discipline you may not like.

In the past, kids relied on Edmund Scientific for supplies. They've changed over the years, but may still be a good source for special items.
Scientifics online from the Edmund Scientific catalog

You should study as much mathematics as you can - and if you can get tutoring, do so. There is no better foundation for a scientific career than mathematics.
You will also need to become adept at writing, especially if you choose a field in which you have to write grant proposals and professional reports. And if you can study a second (or third) language, do so. Most if not all advanced degree programs require proficiency in two or more languages. Of course, your choice in languages is dependent upon your chosen major and the most predominant language of research papers. For example, if you've chosen chemistry, German is a popular choice - since there are many German pioneers in chemistry.

Though Latin is not popular in high school, proficiency in Latin translates well to many scientific endeavors. Many scientific terms are derived from Latin. For example, the abbreviations on the Periodic Table of the Elements refer to their Latin forms. Ex: Sodium (Na) is natrium. Lead (Pb) is plumbum (and the root of the word "plumbing"). Gold (Au) is aurum.
Ditto, for Greek. Geography (from Greek γεωγραφία, geographia, literally "earth description".)

The earlier you start, the more proficient you will be when it is time to choose your career.

Addendum:
Start a notebook to record your endeavors.
What to write?
Anything, everything. Questions. Answers. Ideas. References.
How much to write?
Imagine you are writing for the benefit of a complete stranger. In other words, do not assume the reader will know what you were thinking. Put it all down on paper. When you come back to those notes, in 30 or 40 years, you will be glad you were so thorough.

Last edited by jetgraphics; 11-07-2017 at 02:54 AM..

Old 11-07-2017, 10:58 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
OP: you have to think about 1) what interests you and 2) what you're good at.

You might like physics, but if you can't see yourself doing differential equations for 9 years (you'll need a PhD to have any chance of being a practicing scientist), then it's not for you.

Bad at memorizing massive amounts of facts? Organic chemistry or biology may not be for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
This is a very important point to consider. A lot of people who pursued scientific careers when I studied went in the the assumption that it would be the complete opposite of literature and that all they would be doing is studying theory/conducting experiments.
I *adored* covering those students' reports in red ink when I was teaching. So many people would get so upset that they got the right result but still got a C because of their awful writing and inability to explain what they did.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:29 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Academic writing is already hard enough to read. I can't imagine it without punctuation.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:08 PM

206 posts, read 154,368 times
If you're still in high school, concentrate on math, physics, chemistry, biology, and English and writing classes. Also if they offer electives in computer science and electronics, and related topics, take those.

Attend any science extra curricular activities and clubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology