U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 01:00 AM

356 posts, read 633,343 times

Advertisements

My employer appears to be gearing up for yet another asbestos management action in the building I work in.

I noted that a disgruntled fellow employee working in a different building put up a negative review on a company review site claiming employee asbestos exposure and also alleged the organisation tried to cover this up.

With a previous water leak in the ceiling in my building a few months ago, some sealing off work was done during that fix process, the organisation put out monitoring equipment and the outcome was not released to the employees.

I do not feel 100% confident they are managing this safely. Does anyone know if there is discreet technology available that could be used by employees to privately monitor asbestos exposure ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 01:51 AM

30,114 posts, read 46,242,522 times
That's what OSHA says, and should be done.
Not very discreet, but if you have concerns, you could wear this mask: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...SAAEgKukfD_BwE

Or buy this:

https://www.thermofisher.com/order/c.../MICROPHAZIRAS
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-08-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That's what OSHA says, and should be done.
Not very discreet, but if you have concerns, you could wear this mask: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...SAAEgKukfD_BwE

Or buy this:

https://www.thermofisher.com/order/c.../MICROPHAZIRAS
I love the thermofisher - thanks Elnina

Old 11-08-2017, 12:53 PM

30,114 posts, read 46,242,522 times
Looks like an expensive gadget, though...
Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-09-2017, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Looks like an expensive gadget, though...
Yes agree $700 ish.
Pretty pricey - perhaps I can rent it out when I am done with it

Old 11-12-2017, 07:08 PM

1,278 posts, read 878,459 times
Would not be descreet but you could certainly collect your own air samples and take them to a lab to have them analyzed. What material is it that you think contains asbestos?

Old Today, 09:28 PM

15,705 posts, read 25,340,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
My employer appears to be gearing up for yet another asbestos management action in the building I work in.

I noted that a disgruntled fellow employee working in a different building put up a negative review on a company review site claiming employee asbestos exposure and also alleged the organisation tried to cover this up.

With a previous water leak in the ceiling in my building a few months ago, some sealing off work was done during that fix process, the organisation put out monitoring equipment and the outcome was not released to the employees.

I do not feel 100% confident they are managing this safely. Does anyone know if there is discreet technology available that could be used by employees to privately monitor asbestos exposure ?
In the US the air samples are analyzed at an independent lab, and the results are given to both the building owner or manager (or company), which in turn is supposed to provide the data to all employees and other people involved. You can also ask for the sample result, and the employer can't deny it. If the results are higher than normal fivers in the air than what is allowed, the EPA and OSHA get involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology