U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 06:55 PM

2,923 posts, read 1,622,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ +1, but what in ios for ifone-x is different than ifone-8 ? haven't held one yet.
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/11/6...-the-iphone-x/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 07:10 PM

3,691 posts, read 2,109,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Mac bashing goes all the way back to around 1985 (can you say "tiresome and pointless"?). I guess you have new generations engaging in it these days - everyone needs a hobby. They don't seem to get the simple point: if you don't like them and think they're a ripoff, don't buy them and don't use them, and leave the rest of us alone.

Moderators, please put this thread out of its misery.
Having different opinions based on user experiences would be nice to. For example, people keep saying you should always get a Mac over Windows since the former will save you money over the long run in maintenance costs. I've heard from a couple of OSX users (on the Mac OS prior to the OSX days for decades) counter that that's not necessarily true. Don't buy a Mac workstation based on that alone. If you are, buy the one that you'd want to use. Otherwise, it would behoove you to provide more information on how you'll use them, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I don't see any bashing here. "Mac is crap" would be bashing, having a negative opinion on Macs while providing evidence to support it, is not bashing.
Having said that, that's not what this thread should be about

Imo this "iphone craze" is about one thing - marketing. And how easy it is to make people believe they need to spend thousands of dollars on things they don't need. Things that might be fun or look nice, but are absolutely not necessary and the upgrades they offer over the previous version are often not big enough to, imo, warrant spending a lot of $ on a new phone. This "it ain't broken but you have to fix it, annually" marketing strategy.. I'd never guess it would work but apparently, it's super effective!
In that sense, Kudos to Apple.
Yac.
Hell, DeBeers managed to pull off that epic marketing campaign, ingraining into not just America and western culture, but in Asia and beyond as well, that unless your boyfriend is willing to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on something glitzy and flashy, but with function (I guess it helps in a pinch if you need to cut glass [shrug]), then does he really love you? I was shocked to read up that the ad originally called for "how else can a year's salary last forever?"

Old 11-25-2017, 05:48 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,172,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ +1, but what in ios for ifone-x is different than ifone-8 ? haven't held one yet.
I don't have an iPhone X, but all the new gestures would have a learning curve I would imagine. I do have an iPad air 2 which has the latest update and should be similar to the 8 though. Don't really see that big of difference, though they need another update since IOS 11 has hurt my battery life and I feel the tablet has gotten slower with it.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:07 AM

2,923 posts, read 1,622,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I don't have an iPhone X, but all the new gestures would have a learning curve I would imagine. I do have an iPad air 2 which has the latest update and should be similar to the 8 though. Don't really see that big of difference, though they need another update since IOS 11 has hurt my battery life and I feel the tablet has gotten slower with it.
If it makes you feel any better my iPad Pro 10.5, the latest model, also has taken a hit on battery life. Getting periodic freezes on the latest iOS as well.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:51 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,653,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Having different opinions based on user experiences would be nice to. For example, people keep saying you should always get a Mac over Windows since the former will save you money over the long run in maintenance costs. I've heard from a couple of OSX users (on the Mac OS prior to the OSX days for decades) counter that that's not necessarily true. Don't buy a Mac workstation based on that alone. If you are, buy the one that you'd want to use. Otherwise, it would behoove you to provide more information on how you'll use them, etc.
Statistically -- the Mac does have an average total cost of ownership lower than Windows machines. But average means there are people who buy Macs that immediately go belly up as well as Mac models that have been lemons over the years (same as with a car manufacturer's models). You'll always find a couple of OS X users with different experience because that's how statistics work.

I agree the buyer needs to understand how they'll use their devices before buying them. I'm retired now, and if I didn't already have a loaded MacBook Pro and iPhone 6s Plus which I purchased for professional purposes, I'd probably go with a large format iPad Pro with a smart keyboard and a lower end smart phone (not necessarily an iPhone). The only thing I still don't like is the smart keyboard, which is not exactly ideal for doing a lot of typing.

Old Today, 06:09 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,038,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
For example, people keep saying you should always get a Mac over Windows since the former will save you money over the long run in maintenance costs.
And Time.

Keeping your apps updated only takes 5-10 minutes on a Mac. Checking for updates on a PC takes about 5-10 minutes (not including downloading and installation time) with so many places to check, a real PITA. My Windows 7 PC has gotten slower over time. I remember that these updates processed faster before.

My Mid-'09 MacBook still runs as efficiently since the day it came out of the box, even though it is one version behind due to technological limitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology