U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2017, 12:05 PM
 
Location: USA
6,137 posts, read 4,799,092 times
Reputation: 10379

Advertisements

A lot of people are tech gadget enthusiasts and get every new device that comes out. As for myself, I'm still rocking a Galaxy S2. The battery (unlike newer phones) is replaceable and you can find them for cheap online. I don't do anything other than text, some light internet browsing, and using the audio player for podcasts. Don't need the latest and greatest to do that. I can see keeping this phone for many more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2017, 12:24 PM
KCZ
 
1,411 posts, read 674,148 times
Reputation: 3922
I'm considering buying my first iPhone. Thinking about the hardware and specifically the chip, is there any advantage to buying the 8/X vs the 7, for someone who keeps the same phone forever? Does Apple substantially upgrade their software often enough or withdraw support quickly enough so that the iPhone 7 will become obsolete before the phone dies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 PM
 
4,334 posts, read 2,400,356 times
Reputation: 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I'm considering buying my first iPhone. Thinking about the hardware and specifically the chip, is there any advantage to buying the 8/X vs the 7, for someone who keeps the same phone forever? Does Apple substantially upgrade their software often enough or withdraw support quickly enough so that the iPhone 7 will become obsolete before the phone dies?
The 7 is a year old, so realistically you'll get 3 or so years before iOS starts to slow down (they add more features which require more processing power). I have the 7 Plus and have no plans on upgrading any time soon. My work phone is a 6s and likewise, I'm not planning on upgrading soon.

The disadvantage of a closed system is that you don't get all of the innovation you might get with Android. The advantage of a closed system is that you don't get all of the potential issues you get with that innovation. I started with Android phones (Galaxy 4, Note 3) and moved to Apple because I wanted to stop playing around with it and just use it. Plus with the Samsung phone once you got a version or 2 back it seemed like they forgot you existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 12:53 PM
 
2,445 posts, read 2,653,349 times
Reputation: 2510
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I dont get the whole getting new smart phone every year either but then again what do i know i still have a flip phone lol.I agree its "keeping up with the Jones" but I would rather save my money
I would get a simple flip-phone if I did not have to use my smartphone for work-related reasons.

I use a cheaper smartphone that I only upgrade when I really have to which is about every 3+ years or longer. At the very least, I don't think someone would steal my older smartphone if I accidentally left it somewhere.

If a $200+ a month cell phone bill is something someone else wants, let them have at it. I could care less about someone else wanting the latest, greatest iPhone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 01:06 PM
 
7,161 posts, read 5,134,060 times
Reputation: 7789
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I'm considering buying my first iPhone. Thinking about the hardware and specifically the chip, is there any advantage to buying the 8/X vs the 7, for someone who keeps the same phone forever? Does Apple substantially upgrade their software often enough or withdraw support quickly enough so that the iPhone 7 will become obsolete before the phone dies?
The 8 has a much faster processor, but the 7 is perfectly fine. Personally, I got the eight. The price difference between an 8 with a sensible amount of storage and a 7 with a reasonable amount of storage is only $50.

Apple generally supports their phones for a long time. They're still supporting the iPhone 5S, which was released in 2013. Obviously you won't get every new feature and it won't be as fast, but unlike Android devices, it won't be abandoned shortly after release.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 01:07 PM
 
Location: USA
700 posts, read 940,991 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
A lot of people are tech gadget enthusiasts and get every new device that comes out. As for myself, I'm still rocking a Galaxy S2. The battery (unlike newer phones) is replaceable and you can find them for cheap online. I don't do anything other than text, some light internet browsing, and using the audio player for podcasts. Don't need the latest and greatest to do that. I can see keeping this phone for many more years.
Does the Galaxy S2 get still get security updates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 01:26 PM
KCZ
 
1,411 posts, read 674,148 times
Reputation: 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The 7 is a year old, so realistically you'll get 3 or so years before iOS starts to slow down (they add more features which require more processing power). I have the 7 Plus and have no plans on upgrading any time soon. My work phone is a 6s and likewise, I'm not planning on upgrading soon.

The disadvantage of a closed system is that you don't get all of the innovation you might get with Android. The advantage of a closed system is that you don't get all of the potential issues you get with that innovation. I started with Android phones (Galaxy 4, Note 3) and moved to Apple because I wanted to stop playing around with it and just use it. Plus with the Samsung phone once you got a version or 2 back it seemed like they forgot you existed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The 8 has a much faster processor, but the 7 is perfectly fine. Personally, I got the eight. The price difference between an 8 with a sensible amount of storage and a 7 with a reasonable amount of storage is only $50.

Apple generally supports their phones for a long time. They're still supporting the iPhone 5S, which was released in 2013. Obviously you won't get every new feature and it won't be as fast, but unlike Android devices, it won't be abandoned shortly after release.
Thank you both. I've been using Blackberry's since before they were even phones and currently have a 4-year-old Z10, but BB's support is minimal now, and I have to move to another ecosystem. My one foray into an Android tablet was completely aggravating, and I don't know much about iPhones. I'm not looking forward to the transition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 01:42 PM
 
4,334 posts, read 2,400,356 times
Reputation: 3821
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I would get a simple flip-phone if I did not have to use my smartphone for work-related reasons.

I use a cheaper smartphone that I only upgrade when I really have to which is about every 3+ years or longer. At the very least, I don't think someone would steal my older smartphone if I accidentally left it somewhere.

If a $200+ a month cell phone bill is something someone else wants, let them have at it. I could care less about someone else wanting the latest, greatest iPhone.
I don't know anyone who is paying $200+ a month for a single cell phone bill. I pay $220, but that's for 5 phones and a couple of tablets. Unlimited data, calling and texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Mt. Lebanon
1,766 posts, read 1,784,533 times
Reputation: 1670
well, I'm a software engineer and I don't particularly like the iPhone. I like the Android OS and I have the google phone. Granted, not the last one. I got a new one last year and unless it breaks or becomes obsolete I don't plan on buying a new one every two years. They are kind of expensive.

people who change them every two years are either a) addicted to technology b) want to show off c) they don't pay for the phone themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2017, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,305 posts, read 9,796,729 times
Reputation: 20435
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post

If a $200+ a month cell phone bill is something someone else wants, let them have at it. I could care less about someone else wanting the latest, greatest iPhone.
Where are you getting a $200 a month cell phone bill from? Mine is much less than that and it includes my husband's phone. We don't have a landline so that's something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top