U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 03:12 PM

9,677 posts, read 11,619,212 times

Advertisements

a) Phones are not status symbols. I like the post where someone called it a Honda. Yep. Google "Status Symbol" if you really think a $650 phone is a status symbol. Not even the $1,000 Apple X or Note 8 are Status Symbols.

b) The hype you see is: marketing. Most people do NOT get new phones every year. A small minority do. Most people are on the 2 year cycle. In the old days (you know, 2 years ago) we had 2 year contracts, so people were offered huge discounts to sign a 2 year deal. So a LOT of people upgraded every 2 years. Now we have to pay full price (most people) and most people spread that payment out over...guess how long? Yep. 2 years. So the phone gets paid off, shiny new phones comes out. Hmmmm.

c) Hype over the X. Let's face it the last 3 iPhones were pretty generic upgrades. They even looked nearly identical. The big iPhone people were just chomping at the bit to get something different... these people are buying X's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 03:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The 7 is a year old, so realistically you'll get 3 or so years before iOS starts to slow down (they add more features which require more processing power). I have the 7 Plus and have no plans on upgrading any time soon. My work phone is a 6s and likewise, I'm not planning on upgrading soon.

The disadvantage of a closed system is that you don't get all of the innovation you might get with Android. The advantage of a closed system is that you don't get all of the potential issues you get with that innovation. I started with Android phones (Galaxy 4, Note 3) and moved to Apple because I wanted to stop playing around with it and just use it. Plus with the Samsung phone once you got a version or 2 back it seemed like they forgot you existed.
Go with Moto or google phones ( nexus, Pixal) always updated.. samsung is always last due to carriers and the bloatware they want to load on it. Remove that from them, then they can be updated soon as google releases it.

I like to custom my ROM to fix my needs, not what apple thinks i need or want.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:22 PM

643 posts, read 885,003 times
I'm a former iPhone user and current Android phone user. While my Android experience has generally been good and I was actually thinking of getting a Pixel phone, ... I think I'll be going back to an iPhone again. I don't even want a high-end iPhone. An iPhone SE will do. I like the small form factor.

Not that one is better than the other. Just a matter of personal preference. Much like I prefer my Mac and Linux to Windows. Most of my family and friends are on the iPhone. So its easier all around with Facetime. Besides, I've owned Apple stock for decades.

Just like leasing vehicles works for some folks, the Apple iPhone Upgrade plan works for some of us.

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/apples...de-plan-right/

iPhone X, iPhone 8 cost breakdown: Apple monthly upgrade payment plan - Business Insider

Old 11-14-2017, 04:34 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,579,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
I don't get it. Maybe I'm just a complete idiot, but why do people need/get a new iPhone every year, and how much better (if at all) than your average Android phone??

I feel like an idiot or like I'm out of the loop for not really knowing what this iPhone craziness is all about...?

I am thinking about getting a "new" Note 4 from my now Note 3, and to me that seems like it would be good enough for mr.

I don't know, maybe someone here can explain this Apple craze to me in layman's terms??
Pure and simple marketing. That's all it is.

SS

Old 11-14-2017, 05:10 PM

748 posts, read 170,337 times
My Note 3 went bad and since I was also going to be looking for a new digital camera, I figured I could kill 2 birds w 1 stone so the Note 4 will do that for me. Otherwise I reckon I would have kept this Note 3 for a good while longer.

Btw, I do in fact think the iPhone (to some) is indeed a status symbol. I get that feeling about my buddy, who didn't even know until I told him that you can sign up for email alert on Craigslist but he is into having the latest/greatest tech stuff. Lol

Old 11-14-2017, 05:14 PM

4,052 posts, read 2,754,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Do you really think the iPhone is still a status symbol? Imo, it's pretty ubiquitous. I never see iPhone users and think it's anything special. In fact, I expect to see the iPhone bc it's what most of us have. It's like a Honda.
Good point. Maybe years ago when people were still running around with flip phones but even just a few years ago middle schoolers around me had iPhones. They're not Rolexes.

As for me, I hated Apple until I got an iPod touch back in 08/09. Loved the simple, intuitive design. Was reliable for quite a few years.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:14 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,561,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
I'm a former iPhone user and current Android phone user. While my Android experience has generally been good and I was actually thinking of getting a Pixel phone, ... I think I'll be going back to an iPhone again. I don't even want a high-end iPhone. An iPhone SE will do. I like the small form factor.

Not that one is better than the other. Just a matter of personal preference. Much like I prefer my Mac and Linux to Windows. Most of my family and friends are on the iPhone. So its easier all around with Facetime. Besides, I've owned Apple stock for decades.

Just like leasing vehicles works for some folks, the Apple iPhone Upgrade plan works for some of us.

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/apples...de-plan-right/

iPhone X, iPhone 8 cost breakdown: Apple monthly upgrade payment plan - Business Insider
I would wait on an SE - essentially 6s internals so a couple of generations old now. Donít know if Apple is planning an update.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:33 PM

1,285 posts, read 432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I would wait on an SE - essentially 6s internals so a couple of generations old now. Donít know if Apple is planning an update.
ya do know what SE stands for.. Shty edition.. like the 5c.. c=cheap edition.. just sayin..

What majority doesnt know, but a 5 min reading and pc you can put any ROM on your phone. Even updates without the bloatware that samsung or LG does..

Old 11-14-2017, 05:42 PM

15,703 posts, read 25,340,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Do you really think the iPhone is still a status symbol? Imo, it's pretty ubiquitous. I never see iPhone users and think it's anything special. In fact, I expect to see the iPhone bc it's what most of us have. It's like a Honda.
I haven't said such thing. What i said is that to some it is, and pointed out the foreign students completing their masters at universities.

The iPhone is like a Toyota to me

Old 11-14-2017, 05:42 PM

6,628 posts, read 4,542,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
Btw, I do in fact think the iPhone (to some) is indeed a status symbol. I get that feeling about my buddy, who didn't even know until I told him that you can sign up for email alert on Craigslist but he is into having the latest/greatest tech stuff. Lol
Does your buddy view it as a status symbol, or is that just your own personal belief?

I get the feeling that it's not the iPhone users trying to show off so much as it is some Android users feeling the need to assign beliefs to iPhone users that those users don't actually have.

Maybe it's jealousy or something, though I don't understand why since anyone with a spare $30/month can go get an iPhone if they want.

And who cares about CL e-mail alerts unless unless they're heavy CL users?

Last edited by JasonF; 11-14-2017 at 05:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology