U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 06:54 PM

755 posts, read 171,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Does your buddy view it as a status symbol, or is that just your own personal belief?

I get the feeling that it's not the iPhone users trying to show off so much as it is some Android users feeling the need to assign beliefs to iPhone users that those users don't actually have.s?
uh, ok...I don't know,...maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 07:44 PM

4,853 posts, read 3,533,547 times
Our phones were 6 years old when we decided the wife needs a bigger screen for visibility. I still use my old Samsung.
BTW, iPhone is just one brand. I actually see very few actual iPhones since most people are using an android based system. Only 1 in 4 smartphones is an Apple product.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:03 PM

6,899 posts, read 7,261,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Our phones were 6 years old when we decided the wife needs a bigger screen for visibility. I still use my old Samsung.
BTW, iPhone is just one brand. I actually see very few actual iPhones since most people are using an android based system. Only 1 in 4 smartphones is an Apple product.
World wide, sure. Not everyone in Egypt can afford to spend US$400 for a phone. When you narrow down the market to North America or Western Europe the numbers change quite a bit and Apple suddenly becomes the dominant brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
ya do know what SE stands for.. Shty edition.. like the 5c.. c=cheap edition.. just sayin..
Say what you will the SE is a 6s with a four inch screen for $349. Suggest an Android that can meet that power and camera at that price point.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:31 PM

17,003 posts, read 11,838,526 times
IMO, everything since the iPhone 4 and then the iPhone 6 Plus have been iterative. I do not own an X - just an 8 Plus.

I was absolutely floored coming from a flip phone to the iPhone 3G back in 2008. In numerous ways, these phones have made lives easier and better.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:01 PM

8,607 posts, read 15,195,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
well, I'm a software engineer and I don't particularly like the iPhone. I like the Android OS and I have the google phone. Granted, not the last one. I got a new one last year and unless it breaks or becomes obsolete I don't plan on buying a new one every two years. They are kind of expensive.

people who change them every two years are either a) addicted to technology b) want to show off c) they don't pay for the phone themselves.
or d) need a new phone.

I upgrade every two years. I use my phone A LOT. It's my work tool, and it's going strong 8 hours or more per day, 5 days per week. I normally shoot 400 to 800 photos per day and text 150 to 500 pages per day. I also use Google Maps for 15-30 addresses per day (even though I have a GPS map in my dash). I use a Mophie battery pack/case and still use up the phone's battery every two years. I can't afford the time to send the phone to Apple to have a new battery installed. I need the damned phone every day. Can't work without it.

It's turned off on weekends. If I didn't need the iPhone for work, I'd still be using a flip phone.

I just traded my iPhone 6 for an 8 a couple weeks ago. The camera is much better. Nothing else seems to have changed much. My wife got her 6 the same day I did, but she only uses her phone for personal use. The battery in her's is still strong, and she has no desire/need to upgrade yet.

Old Yesterday, 06:26 AM

2,779 posts, read 1,565,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
ya do know what SE stands for.. Shty edition.. like the 5c.. c=cheap edition.. just sayin..

What majority doesnt know, but a 5 min reading and pc you can put any ROM on your phone. Even updates without the bloatware that samsung or LG does..
SE is just fine - for people who want the smallest form factor itís the only option. Unlike the 5c which did use cheaper internals for a ď5Ē.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

1,290 posts, read 731,668 times
I've had a iPhone 6 Plus for a couple of years. I decided to give it a try after being a hardcore Android user. The only thing I really like about it is the text messaging system that's more like an IM if both are using iPhones. IOS 11 has pretty much sealed the deal for me by slowing down my phone and making many of the apps that I use unstable. I'll be going back to Android when I decide to buy again.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

643 posts, read 885,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I would wait on an SE - essentially 6s internals so a couple of generations old now. Donít know if Apple is planning an update.
I'm not a spec-*****. The SE is fine for my use.
My wife's 6s still works great, but I like the smaller form factor of the SE.

I came from a 4s, then tried an Android phone (LG Stylo 3). Hardware-wise, the LG buries the old iPhone 4s that I had. But I just prefer the iOS experience to the Android. Seems like all the apps work seamlessly together. Again, that's my personal opinion.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

2,057 posts, read 1,892,374 times
My wife is into the whole IPhone craze. Before I got my last smartphone I thought id give IPhone a shot but returned it less than 24 hours later. I absolutely hated how it functioned compared to the Androids that I am used to. My wife already wants to upgrade her IPhone from the previous model and I just don't get it. My Android that is several years old works just fine. I also don't like the bigger screens, and that goes for all phones these days. I like to be able to hold it in one hand and be able to have my thumb reach completely to the other side for ease of use. Phones these days should come with a wall mount to watch movies with.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

9,678 posts, read 11,623,242 times
Definition of status symbol

:something (such as an expensive car) that a person owns and that shows wealth or a high social status

If the iPhone was $5,000 it would be a status symbol. When everyone has something... it's not a status symbol. If there were as many Mazerati's on the road as there are Honda's, they would not be SS's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology