U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:29 AM

2,452 posts, read 632,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Definition of status symbol

:something (such as an expensive car) that a person owns and that shows wealth or a high social status

If the iPhone was $5,000 it would be a status symbol. When everyone has something... it's not a status symbol. If there were as many Mazerati's on the road as there are Honda's, they would not be SS's.
I won't spend $1,000 on a laptop, let alone a phone. That's a MASSIVE sum of money for an item that is far too easy to get lost in your sofa, dropped in your toilet or dropped a few hundred times a year.

But that's just me.

So I do think that in some circles in America it is a status symbol.

I get that you can get "insurance" for all those sorts of things now too but that just means you have to kick more dough out on top of the already thousand dollar price tag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 08:30 AM

When does Apple's bubble burst, though? I mean, 20, 50 or a 100 years from now, is it still going to be a new phone every year? When do people finally say they've had enough? This isn't sustainable.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:51 AM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
I had the 4S and now have the 6S. My next phone will be the X. I love Apple and with my income can afford to pay cash for what I want in a phone. My wife, sons and I have apple phones. We also have 7 Ipads. At work I have an Ipad as do most of the medical staff. We will be replacing our Cisco phones with iPhones at work. That somehow seems to becoming the norm at hospitals from what I can see.

I don't see it as a recent thing. iPhones have been around for a long time now.

Realize that I remember when basic cell phones, hand helds, were selling for over $3,000 and those did nothing more than make a phone call. With inflation, paying a $1,000 for an iPhone X is nothing. Go for the 8 and spend even less. The amount you pay is nothing compared to what we paid in the late 1990's. On top of it, I make a lot more money now.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:55 AM

4,033 posts, read 3,265,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
I don't get it. Maybe I'm just a complete idiot, but why do people need/get a new iPhone every year, and how much better (if at all) than your average Android phone??
Some people (primarily techies) are early adopters; a friend of mine gets new models of technology as soon as they're out, and signs up for beta programs (his version of iOS is a beta version). Other people (like myself) prefer to wait until something's been out for a while and whatever bugs are in it have been identified and removed. You see this with car and clothing styles and many other products - not just iPhones. I tend to be in the Late Majority on this graph:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_adopter

When I purchase something like an iPhone or a laptop, I tend to get these days a loaded model and keep it a long time. I have an iPhone 6S, am happy with it, and have no reason to change. I have a top of the line MacBook Pro which is over three years old, i take care of it and run diagnostics regularly. Same with my car - a seven year old Toyota Camry.

Other people are status driven. They have to have the latest and greatest of everything because they see their identity and self worth tied up in what they own. Mostly these aren't techies - techies love what works, and mostly don't give a fig about status. Apple has always had a tendency to adopt technologies early on - first to adopt USB ports, and to drop having a CD reader built into its products. It's usually been mocked for the effort, followed quickly by a prediction that Apple was about to fail big time. That hasn't happened.

I use an iPhone because I've been an Apple product user since 1985 (way before the iPhone), and iPhone fits well into the Apple ecosystem. I have a MacBook Pro, an Apple TV and an Airport Extreme for wifi. Everything just works together - something you couldn't say about Microsoft products until fairly recently. Apple's focus was always on usability and consistency - and it historically showed that focus in its products. Whether that focus has been slipping as Apple focuses on worldwide sales rather than end user experience remains to be seen.

Is iPhone better than Android? Type that into your search engine and see what turns up - a mix of Android fanboy posts and iPhone fanboy posts. Whatever I would say would be met with derision by Android fanboys. Anti-Apple folks always like to talk about how Apple products are no better than X, they can't modify the hardware to their hearts' content, their stuff is overpriced, and any day now they're going to be consigned to the ash heap of history. These same things have been said for at least 30 years - and they're just as untrue today as they were then. I personally don't care what anyone else says or does - it's just a phone, for God's sake.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
World wide, sure. Not everyone in Egypt can afford to spend US$400 for a phone. When you narrow down the market to North America or Western Europe the numbers change quite a bit and Apple suddenly becomes the dominant brand.

Say what you will the SE is a 6s with a four inch screen for $349. Suggest an Android that can meet that power and camera at that price point.
Nexus 6p, S7. Even the old Nexus 5.. 4 inch.. wow .squinting eyes..

Old 11-15-2017, 04:11 PM

7,045 posts, read 3,701,331 times
Quote:
I won't spend $1,000 on a laptop, let alone a phone. That's a MASSIVE sum of money for an item that is far too easy to get lost in your sofa, dropped in your toilet or dropped a few hundred times a year.

But that's just me.
Apparently, because I've never lost my phone, dropped it in the toilet, and I can count the times it has ever been dropped. New phones are water resistant, the glass is shatter resistant, and there are excellent inexpensive cases and screen covers.

It's not the phone itself that is a status symbol, it's having and using the latest technology.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:18 PM

7,903 posts, read 8,476,106 times
Quote:

But that's just me.

It must be just you. Who drops their phone “a few hundred times a year”? I drop mine once or twice a year, usually on the carpet at home.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It must be just you. Who drops their phone “a few hundred times a year”? I drop mine once or twice a year, usually on the carpet at home.
Yeah, a bit exaggerated on my end, but just losing my old phone one time years ago haunts me to this day probably.

Knowing my luck I would drop a grand on one these phones and lose it within a week.

Never dropped a phone in the dumper either but had my Note 3 do a basketball dribble off the "rim" a few months ago and by the grace of God didn't drop in the bucket.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:02 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,265,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Apparently, because I've never lost my phone, dropped it in the toilet, and I can count the times it has ever been dropped. New phones are water resistant, the glass is shatter resistant, and there are excellent inexpensive cases and screen covers.
A friend bought one of those rugged OtterBox cases to protect his new iPhone. He was using the phone on the stairwell at work, it slipped out of his hand and dropped down the center well five floors to the concrete on the first floor. The OtterBox didn't save it.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:35 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,609,796 times
Quote:
I don't get it. Maybe I'm just a complete idiot, but why do people need/get a new iPhone every year, and how much better (if at all) than your average Android phone??
Not everyone buys a new iPhone every year. Even in the past when subsidized plans were prominent, quite a few people opted to upgrade only every other year. I'm sure 2-year plans had a lot to do with that, but it was also deemed to be a good middle ground in having the latest tech, while not shelling out the extra money otherwise. Nowadays, in an attempt to save more $$, even Iph users are updating less frequently... every 3 years, 4, 5. Some are pushing it until their phone breaks, gets stolen, or literally becomes unusable.

The rest boil down to personal preferences and environment. Some people stick with iOS because others are already on it, and they can do iMessages. Or, they have other Apple hardware that integrates better. Another example, someone posting online about 1 year or 2 back said his iPhone broke and he's in the market for a new phone. However, it has to be an Android. New iPhones in Brazil are automatically $1300 USD and up. He doesn't want to pay that much.

Quote:
I feel like an idiot or like I'm out of the loop for not really knowing what this iPhone craziness is all about...?
STATUS SYMBOL. I had a bit of "back and forth" with another C-D poster. He keeps claiming its silly that people would buy an Iph for something like a "status symbol", that those people are fools, he would never do that. I wouldn't either. Where we parted ways was he seems to want to REALLY deny that this reason exists. It most DEFINITELY exists. Students in high school or earlier want to have the hottest toy. Lamborghini owners feel smug because very few people can afford (or will otherwise) buy their own Lamborghinis, so it makes them feel like they're part of a more exclusive club. Costco membership has a similar effect. Sure, they're happy to get some great deals, but that "membership feeling" is there. I'm sure ditto in the fashion industry. There's more than one industry which has made great profits due to this sort of thing, so one can choose not to believe it, but it drives the sales for others

Quote:
I am thinking about getting a "new" Note 4 from my now Note 3, and to me that seems like it would be good enough for mr.
I have a coworker who's still using a Note 2. Me, I can't see any gain to spending more than $650 for a smartphone. Iphone, Samsung models, LG, and other Android manufacturers. When I was in the market for a new phone, recommendations pointed me to the LG G4. I got it used for $220. The LG G5 was the latest and greatest, but at $650, I didn't even bother to go through specs and features. I doubt it was "3x as good" as the LG G4, and I didn't want to budget for that anyways.

Quote:
I don't know, maybe someone here can explain this Apple craze to me in layman's terms??
Last but not least, do keep in mind that most people have areas where they're thrifty, cheap. But they also have areas where they're willing to pay more than average, if not top dollar. For the Apple "cultists", it's iPhones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or