U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2017, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Cedar Park, TX
316 posts, read 176,739 times
Reputation: 560

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Let me guess, you’re retired?

For corporate use, a cell phone with a camera is used a lot. Want to capture what’s on a whiteboard and email it to colleagues? Trivial with a smartphone. Traveling and want to keep in touch with the team? FaceTime, Skype or WebEx apps.

Want to remember where you parked at the airport? Take a picture and/or use a locator app. At the airport and your flight is canceled? Skip the line and reschedule via an app.

Driving around in a new city? Waze is your friend. Want to find cheap gas? GasBuddy app.

Forgot to pay a bill before you left? Banking app.

Need some entertainment? Netflix or Kindle app.

Away and want to check on the house? Security system app, camera app, etc.

People are even doing corporate YouTube videos with a smartphone now.
I use Google Maps and Waze every day to avoid traffic problems locally and when travelling. Saves so much time and frustration. This is invaluable when we roadtrip across the US. We know the most efficient routes through most major cities we travel regularly! How did we live without this!!

Surprisingly, one of the features I use a lot is the flashlight. In fact, when the camera and flashlight quit working on my older Iphone I stewed over that for a few months and bought a new Iphone.

I watch very little TV or videos, but love, love, love my radio app. I really enjoy listening to stations all over the US and world. Crystal clear!

Facetime and Imessage. Most everyone in my family, parents, siblings and children, have Iphones or Ipads. Wonderful for staying connected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2017, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Minnesovia
2,512 posts, read 644,325 times
Reputation: 1536
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Life is slowly heading to the point where it will resemble the movie Wall-E.
Unfortunately, for better or worse, it is. I agree with you there, the direction this country is headed is scary.


I don't have kids (yet) but if I do I'm mortified that I would have to get them a smartphone or have a truck/van with TVs in the head rests, or I would be the horrible/backward father for my 9 year old being the one kid that doesn't have one.


That absolutely makes me sick to think about that.


People wonder why kids/young adults are shooting up droves of people left and right, I would point out that the Columbine 1999 shooting - the one that set off all this craziness lately happened at a point where before and after (more or less) every house didn't have a computer (pre-1999) and every house had a computer (post 1999). There is an obvious correlation (to me at least) there that no one seems to recognize.


Sorry for my rant, but I see where you're coming from!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 11:18 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,987 posts, read 1,948,612 times
Reputation: 2449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Many people use postpaid wireless. Their overpriced plan includes a phone every year or two, so they get a new phone every year or two.

I, and perhaps you, prefer to pay far less for wireless service.

I buy a phone and use it until it either breaks or I get tired of it. My Nexus 6P is over 2 years old now. I've got my eye on a newer Android phone, introduced last spring. I will probably buy that model when it has been on the market long enough to go on sale, hopefully for 1/2 to 2/3 of the full price that it is now. I figure that could happen on Black Friday or early in 2018.

I use an iPhone for work stuff. If it was my personal phone, I'd probably use a similar strategy to my Android strategy, now that Apple has stopped discontinuing its previous models when it introduces new ones.
+1. i just bought a used 6p on amazon. i think ifone craziness died down around the ifone-4 maybe where people would wait in line for 3 days without showering. now they are looked the same way as galaxy i believe because samsung is a big marketing engine.

they are nice toys and people like having shiny new toys to brag about. functionality wise i just think they are locked down heavily so i prefer aosp/cyanogenmod.

because of this locked down system (ahem) i mean user-friendliness, things work well with other igadgets (vertical-integration strategy). so you are forced to buy/upgrade products that function thru it00nz (which is a kludgy apparatus). they are engineered to not work well with samsung smart-tv, roku, amazon fire, chromecast, ... so you are forced to buy apple-tv. you ever try to sync an ifone to a fedora laptop... not fun.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 11-16-2017 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: added bit about samsung.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 11:27 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,987 posts, read 1,948,612 times
Reputation: 2449
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
They hold value because idiots are too stupid to pay for it.

The iphone rage is about status check to some and others is the simplicity of the OS and its closed ecosystem. Like many said, if you just want a phone that can txt, calls and take pics. Apple is your go too. If you want customization, free file system, Mods, ROMS. android is your system.

I too have the Nexus 6 till screen broke then got the 6p.. Still rocking it as it is still a good phone. The specs are on par with the s7. My other phone is the moto z i got really cheap from a guy who didnt know how to use a droid..

What apple did, was get their phone to the masses by paying cell providers a good premium to push it. Thus the reason why you see more ads for apple than any other phone. ATT help put them on the map with its exclusive for 5 years, so got to thank them for the such popularity. Just remember, APPLE didnt create and hasnt created anything new that has been on other devices for least 2 generations. NFC (NFC PAY), wireless charging is the prime example. Just they have the ability to advertise it as "NEW" to trick the idiots that dont know better. ( does their homework).
on amazon, sprint, best buy, ... they have a category for smart fones and another category for ifone. (same with tablet vs. ipad; mp3 player/ipod; personal computer/macintosh).
to the average consumer, ifone > smart fone so they are willing to pay a premium for it eventhough they are the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 °N, 🌄°W
10,085 posts, read 4,168,239 times
Reputation: 6371
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
2012 called and it wants its talking points back.
LOL just because you say something is not true does not make it "not true".

Back it up with facts not just opinion.

Without a doubt, the Android OS beats the iPhone iOS hands down! This is not because of any technical difference between the operating systems, but simply because Android is open source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
10,835 posts, read 12,882,415 times
Reputation: 7073
Could we NOT turn this into an Apple vs Google thread PLEASE? That has nothing to do with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
7,923 posts, read 8,495,887 times
Reputation: 11621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
LOL just because you say something is not true does not make it "not true".

Back it up with facts not just opinion.

Without a doubt, the Android OS beats the iPhone iOS hands down! This is not because of any technical difference between the operating systems, but simply because Android is open source
Tell me about the Samsung S8. Can I replace the battery at home. Can I pop in a card to add memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Could we NOT turn this into an Apple vs Google thread PLEASE? That has nothing to do with this.
Agreed. I am done with the religious war
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
15,372 posts, read 25,611,927 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
2012 called and it wants its talking points back.
Yes, I was going to say the same thing. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
15,372 posts, read 25,611,927 times
Reputation: 19654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Better yet, what is it with the "smart phone" craze?
Do ALL of those users really NEED all the features, or is it just the need for the latest and greatest, a "keep up with the Jones's" thing?
My phone is a simple little LG/Verizon flip phone. It is set up to make and receive phone calls. I do not text, I have little or no use for any of the "apps" that are available for smarter-than-I-am phones. I seldom take pictures, not even with my digital camera. The phone is probably 4 or 5 years old, I don't remember. I remember why I got a new one, though. I dropped it in a snow bank several years ago, and didn't find it for a couple of days. It never worked after that. That one didn't have a camera. The new one does. Oh wow, I am so thrilled...
NOT!
True, it does depend what you are going to do with it.

My life is all over my phone.

Here is what I use my phone for.

1. Phone
2. Text
3. email from two different email carriers
4. internet
5. Bill paying. My AT&T app gets me right to the site and I can manage my account.
6. Interactive calendar. I can sinc my calendar from my work computer, home computer, iPad all together and my phone keeps tabs on everything, gives me alerts when meetings are to be held. Assists me with reminders on what to buy my wife and kids for gifts.
7. Driving directions and the best route to take. Many times we are heading into Los Angeles and the map function can re route me if traffic is bad. It gives me options for other routes. I know how to get where I am going, the phone can look ahead and see if a faster route is available.
8. Camera and photo library. Also the effects that the camera on my phone has are awesome.
9. Video editing. I can make a video, edit another video into the first video using the sound from the first video.
10. create presentations for work with many of the apps on the phone and others that I have on the phone.
11. Find out where my kids are. My wife uses this feature more than I do. They also have iPhones.
12. Then my waste time apps, Facebook of course, Instagram, The Pac12 Now App, Pandora, and my all time favorite app Netflix.

Not saying that other phones can't get these apps. Just saying that I have them and use them all the time. This post is not so much about iPhones as it is about smart phones in general. I used to be like you though and figured why would anyone need all that stuff. I for sure did not want to pay for it all. I think for me though it is like driving a car. when you have a car that has no AC, no heat, no radio, no power windows, power seats, cruise control, or anything else, when you just have a simple basic car, the kind of car that i was used to when I was a kid then you don't miss the extras. When you get other things added in you seldom want to go back to the old car.

I am not knocking having a basic phone. Even today's basic phones do so much more than the kind of phone that I had in 1989. If all you need to do is make a call or take a basic picture, then no problem. For me I have lived the life of having a smart phone and it does too much to make my life easier then to ever go back. Who would of thought that a phone can remind you about an important date and give you gift ideas for your wife or kids. Amazing if you ask me. My time is limited and having the iPhone assists me with my life. It is the personal assistant that I can not afford to pay for. The phone keeps me on track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 02:06 PM
 
1,914 posts, read 442,380 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Do you really think the iPhone is still a status symbol? Imo, it's pretty ubiquitous. I never see iPhone users and think it's anything special. In fact, I expect to see the iPhone bc it's what most of us have. It's like a Honda.
Yeah, but Hondas get stolen a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top