U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 01:18 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
I kind of see where you're coming from. My dad is going on 70 and he has no use for a cell phone aside from occasional call...and that's it.

That said, he was intrigued when I told him I had directions on my phone via Google maps - so much so I think I am going to give him my "old" smartphone. I think at the age he's getting at the maps thing alone - even though he will hardly use the phone for anything other than that - might benefit him .

Futhermore, you can get traffic information on your smartphone. Which if you live in Minnesota in the last few years the construction/traffic is a living HELL (thank you Mark Dayton) - with my smartphone I can find out which freeways/highways are backed the heck up and totally avoid them. That's a very convenient convenience to have in your pocket.

Also, even though this isn't in his case, you can't even accept picture messages via text if you don't have a smartphone of some sort.

I think no doubt if you just want a phone in case you break down in the middle of nowhere, you don't necesarilly need a smartphone.

I will say though that since I went to a smartphone years ago that I could never see myself ever going back to anything that doesn't have all the luxuries that they come with and that I am used to, now.
My dad will be 80 in April.

He has had his smart phone for a long time now. My dad has a collection of vinyl records that he has acquired over the past 60 or so years. I remember when I was a little kid, maybe 4 or 5 and he had a reel to reel tape system that he would play his collection on. He had recorded all of his records to reel to reel so he would not wear out the records. When cassette's came out he recorded his records to those. With each new technology he would acquire it and see how he could get his music collection on the next thing. Eventually he needed a new record player and found one at Fry's that he could use to record to his computer. He has since transferred that to his iPad where he has over 10,000 songs on the iPad.

My dad says that when you stop embracing technology you start to get old. I hope my dad never gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 01:32 PM

10,819 posts, read 12,855,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My dad says that when you stop embracing technology you start to get old. I hope my dad never gets old.
QFT

(That's Quoted For Truth for you old codgers. )

All in good fun.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:33 PM

10,819 posts, read 12,855,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Yeah, but Hondas get stolen a lot.
And you're proving the point. Why do Honda's get stolen so much?
Because everyone has them...not because they are status symbols.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:52 PM

3,902 posts, read 1,474,284 times
Quote:
I don't get it.... why do people need/get a new iPhone every year?
It's the same sack of goods (nonsense) that the computer industry has been trying to sell us for decades now; the idea that computers (and phones) need continuous annual updating and new bells and whistles to be relevant and worthwhile. It's more hype than substance. The sad part is, far too many fall for it, and gleefully shell out the money.

These companies and industries know that they can get more money with these tactics. People are too dumb and gullible to see otherwise. We might as well hand them our credit cards too while we're at it.

Not only that, but the products are rushed out without sufficient testing and debugging, so we get shoddier goods too.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:07 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,609,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Better yet, what is it with the "smart phone" craze?
Do ALL of those users really NEED all the features, or is it just the need for the latest and greatest, a "keep up with the Jones's" thing?
My phone is a simple little LG/Verizon flip phone. It is set up to make and receive phone calls. I do not text, I have little or no use for any of the "apps" that are available for smarter-than-I-am phones. I seldom take pictures, not even with my digital camera. The phone is probably 4 or 5 years old, I don't remember. I remember why I got a new one, though. I dropped it in a snow bank several years ago, and didn't find it for a couple of days. It never worked after that. That one didn't have a camera. The new one does. Oh wow, I am so thrilled...
NOT!
I have one and like using them for the following features:
--GPS
I've never needed to pick up a paper map nor plan my routes since I've gotten one of these things. Only exceptions include where I do this anyways is for crucial stuff, like job interviews where having a backup plan is crucial
--camera
I'm not a professional photographer. Just something to take photos of that I want to remember, like magazine articles
--games
pass the time
--internet/email
for fun and work related
-texting
same here, work and fun
--phone calls
"three-peat!"
--calculator

Old 11-16-2017, 02:07 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,265,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Could we NOT turn this into an Apple vs Google thread PLEASE? That has nothing to do with this.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:30 PM

2,453 posts, read 632,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My dad will be 80 in April.

He has had his smart phone for a long time now. My dad has a collection of vinyl records that he has acquired over the past 60 or so years. I remember when I was a little kid, maybe 4 or 5 and he had a reel to reel tape system that he would play his collection on. He had recorded all of his records to reel to reel so he would not wear out the records. When cassette's came out he recorded his records to those. With each new technology he would acquire it and see how he could get his music collection on the next thing. Eventually he needed a new record player and found one at Fry's that he could use to record to his computer. He has since transferred that to his iPad where he has over 10,000 songs on the iPad.

I didn't get my first CD until I was 16 years old, in 1996. I've always kind of been late to tech stuff - largely (probably) because I never really had disposable income like that, but to some degree because I was never into having the latest and greatest.

My dad's a good guy - never hurt anyone or committed a violent crime (or any crime I'm aware of) in his life. I do wish he would be more hip to tech stuff but it's just not how God made him.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:23 PM

11,427 posts, read 19,438,504 times
Quote:
(I think) the "new" upgrade with this new iPhone (my buddy told me, who is getting one) face recognition..??? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Just stupid **** if you ask me. Even if I had the disposable income I wouldn't give basically the most powerful and money making company on the planet even more money.
I have an Iphone 6s, and I use it for work, taking pictures of leaks and doors. Itís also pretty much my main computer. Itís far easier to use than a bulky laptop. Using it right now.

I canít wait for the facial recognition. Since Iím either at work or at home, I donít go places and surf their WiFi. I donít need tons of Security. Having to press the button all the time is a pain. Showing the screen my face will be much easier.

Saying that, I donít think Iíll run out and upgrade. Iíll wait as long as I can, but not so long that I donít get good credit for my phone and also...if you wait so long between upgrades you canít transfer your data. Iíve run into that time and time again.

Iím not addicted to my cell phone. And I picked the iPhone because it was supposed to be very user friendly, and it really is. The other reason I went the smart phone route is was the flip phones my carrier has are beyond terrible. The ringer are low and turn themselves off in your pocket. The batteries drain in a couple days with a few uses. The flip part breaks in months. Seriously, my husbands phone is held together with packing tape at 5 months old.

So your choice has become iPhone or Android. Itís no longer a status symbol, itís become a utility.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:43 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,609,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
2012 called and it wants its talking points back.

Originally Posted by Matadora
  • When you buy an iPhone, you're stuck with as much storage as you decided to buy at the get-go. Most Android phones, however, have a microSD card slot, so you can easily and cheaply buy more storage space.

• Hasn't been true for years.
  • If your battery starts sucking, you can often remove it and replace it with a new one. Can't do that with an iPhone.
    Hasn't been true for years.
You can still buy Android phones that has this feature. If not from last year, then those that definitely came out within the past 2 years (akin to wanting an iPhone with a headphone jack). However, if you want these features in a iPhone, that's NEVER been true

Originally Posted by Matadora
If your battery starts sucking, you can often remove it and replace it with a new one. Can't do that with an iPhone.

I've never had any phone long enough for this to be an issue. iPhone, Android, Nokia, etc

It's been useful for me twice (in the 6 years I've had smartphones). However, I don't travel much. Road warriors have cited this was crucial to them to get back up and running.

A bunch of Android phones (including the HTC One, LG G3, and the Galaxy S5) can be used as remote controls, because they have infrared blasters on the top. iPhones do not.

I guess that's nice. But what do you do when for a TV that's used by a bunch of people? My grandma is certainly not using a smartphone as a remote control
To be fair, your typical grandma doesn't care about technical nor marketing stuff like 64-bit, bionic, nor many of the other advance features touted in the iPhone.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:14 PM

4,033 posts, read 3,265,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
A bunch of Android phones (including the HTC One, LG G3, and the Galaxy S5) can be used as remote controls, because they have infrared blasters on the top. iPhones do not.
That's why God gave us Bluetooth. I have no idea how well they work, but there are infrared controller solutions for the iPhone that plug into the headphone jack. And every device and TV I've seen that uses infrared for communication comes with its own remote control so that shouldn't be a showstopper for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or