Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 01:55 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times

Advertisements

I don't get it. Maybe I'm just a complete idiot, but why do people need/get a new iPhone every year, and how much better (if at all) than your average Android phone??

I feel like an idiot or like I'm out of the loop for not really knowing what this iPhone craziness is all about...?

I am thinking about getting a "new" Note 4 from my now Note 3, and to me that seems like it would be good enough for mr.

I don't know, maybe someone here can explain this Apple craze to me in layman's terms??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 06:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Many people use postpaid wireless. Their overpriced plan includes a phone every year or two, so they get a new phone every year or two.

I, and perhaps you, prefer to pay far less for wireless service.

I buy a phone and use it until it either breaks or I get tired of it. My Nexus 6P is over 2 years old now. I've got my eye on a newer Android phone, introduced last spring. I will probably buy that model when it has been on the market long enough to go on sale, hopefully for 1/2 to 2/3 of the full price that it is now. I figure that could happen on Black Friday or early in 2018.

I use an iPhone for work stuff. If it was my personal phone, I'd probably use a similar strategy to my Android strategy, now that Apple has stopped discontinuing its previous models when it introduces new ones.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:45 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
If not broken, Apple phones hold their value well, so you can buy the latest and resell a year old model for a large % of what you paid for it. I typically give my wife a gift of a new phone, and her old one goes to me, and my old one to my son. Everyone gets an upgrade for the cost of one phone.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:24 PM

206 posts, read 154,368 times
I use to be an apple hater.

But since Android is open source it is exaggeratingly easy to hack, hell, you can download hacking apps on the play store.

I am assuming apple is a bit more difficult. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So, if that's the case, I might actually get an iPhone later on.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:07 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
I'm an Apple-lover, but I think you have to be either crazy or rich to get the new iPhone every year.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:48 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,918 times
Im a big fan of Apple products but I usually get a new phone every 2 1/2 years or so. Apple is much harder to hack then Android products. I think the iPhone is more operator friendly then Android phone. I usually sell my old iPhone when I get a new one.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:56 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If not broken, Apple phones hold their value well, so you can buy the latest and resell a year old model for a large % of what you paid for it. I typically give my wife a gift of a new phone, and her old one goes to me, and my old one to my son. Everyone gets an upgrade for the cost of one phone.
They hold value because idiots are too stupid to pay for it.

The iphone rage is about status check to some and others is the simplicity of the OS and its closed ecosystem. Like many said, if you just want a phone that can txt, calls and take pics. Apple is your go too. If you want customization, free file system, Mods, ROMS. android is your system.

I too have the Nexus 6 till screen broke then got the 6p.. Still rocking it as it is still a good phone. The specs are on par with the s7. My other phone is the moto z i got really cheap from a guy who didnt know how to use a droid..

What apple did, was get their phone to the masses by paying cell providers a good premium to push it. Thus the reason why you see more ads for apple than any other phone. ATT help put them on the map with its exclusive for 5 years, so got to thank them for the such popularity. Just remember, APPLE didnt create and hasnt created anything new that has been on other devices for least 2 generations. NFC (NFC PAY), wireless charging is the prime example. Just they have the ability to advertise it as "NEW" to trick the idiots that dont know better. ( does their homework).

Old 11-13-2017, 07:55 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
They hold value because idiots are too stupid to pay for it.

The iphone rage is about status check to some and others is the simplicity of the OS and its closed ecosystem. Like many said, if you just want a phone that can txt, calls and take pics. Apple is your go too. If you want customization, free file system, Mods, ROMS. android is your system.

I too have the Nexus 6 till screen broke then got the 6p.. Still rocking it as it is still a good phone. The specs are on par with the s7. My other phone is the moto z i got really cheap from a guy who didnt know how to use a droid..

What apple did, was get their phone to the masses by paying cell providers a good premium to push it. Thus the reason why you see more ads for apple than any other phone. ATT help put them on the map with its exclusive for 5 years, so got to thank them for the such popularity. Just remember, APPLE didnt create and hasnt created anything new that has been on other devices for least 2 generations. NFC (NFC PAY), wireless charging is the prime example. Just they have the ability to advertise it as "NEW" to trick the idiots that dont know better. ( does their homework).
Opinions are like "rumps" in that everyone has one, so here goes mine:

To some an iPhone is a status symbol. For example, I see a lot of foreign students from India and Asia in the engineer departments at universities carrying iPhones without protective cases. These engineers are working on their masters, and soon after are applying for jobs throughout the US. They don't care whatsoever if the charging system is wireless of not, just what the iPhone represents to them, and the kind of people who have them (which tend to be those who can afford them or have more money than the lesser crowds).

Then you have those who have gotten used to the iPhone's simplicity and integration with other Apple products at Home, and at work. I can include myself in this group , since we use a lot of Apple products at home and work. I am not into the newest technology. In fact, I usually keep an iPhone until it breaks down five or six years later. Right now I am using a 6s because I forgot a 5s in my pants and took it through a cycle in the clothes washer. My wife has used a 5s for a few years now, and she does not want to upgrade.

It has nothing to do with being smart or an idiot, regardless of what cellphone one uses. The only exception is to those who are more interested on technological stuff than just a cellphone. The same can be said for tablets, computers, and so on. Some people are heavily invested in technology, while most aren't.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:00 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionstars View Post
I use to be an apple hater.

But since Android is open source it is exaggeratingly easy to hack, hell, you can download hacking apps on the play store.

I am assuming apple is a bit more difficult. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So, if that's the case, I might actually get an iPhone later on.
It's not because it's open source. Much of it is actually closed. A lot of iOS is actually open source.

The problem is largely that Android device makers don't care about updates. Devices get late updates, if you're lucky enough to get them at all. And Google hasn't done a very good job of keeping malware out of the play store.

Apple takes security very seriously and actually supports their products.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:06 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Do you really think the iPhone is still a status symbol? Imo, it's pretty ubiquitous. I never see iPhone users and think it's anything special. In fact, I expect to see the iPhone bc it's what most of us have. It's like a Honda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology