Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 12:04 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
I don't get it. Maybe I'm just a complete idiot, but why do people need/get a new iPhone every year,
Every year? I don't get why they need to purchase one in the first place as Androids are far superior on many levels to the Iphone.

Reasons why Android is better then Iphone.
Quote:
  • When you buy an iPhone, you're stuck with as much storage as you decided to buy at the get-go. Most Android phones, however, have a microSD card slot, so you can easily and cheaply buy more storage space.
  • If your battery starts sucking, you can often remove it and replace it with a new one. Can't do that with an iPhone.
  • A bunch of Android phones (including the HTC One, LG G3, and the Galaxy S5) can be used as remote controls, because they have infrared blasters on the top. iPhones do not.
  • Android files screenshots, downloaded pics, and pictures saved from messages into their own separate folders.
  • Android doesn't care where your music comes from. Apple and iOS 8, however, require iTunes if you want to load your iPhone up with songs, and you need iPhoto if you ever want to get your photos onto your computer.
  • You can use any micro-USB cable to charge your Android phone. If you want to charge your iPhone, you need to have Apple's proprietary "Lightning" cable.
  • Google's app store lets you download apps to your phone directly from its website. If you search for an iPhone app in a browser, on the other hand, you have to launch iTunes or the App Store to download and install it.
  • You can set multiple user accounts on the same Android tablet.
  • Apple's baked-in Maps app isn't as good as Google's, but on an iPhone, you can't make Google Maps your default.
  • On an iPhone, you can unlock your phone with your fingerprint or a passcode. On most Android devices, you have several additional options, including patterns or face unlocks.
  • You can customize an Android phone much more than an iPhone, like by adding widgets on your home screen.
  • Android phones don't force you to keep all of your apps on one of your home screens, as iPhones do.
  • On quite a few Android phones, you can open and see multiple apps at once.
  • When you have an Android phone, your notifications are always shown at the top of your screen, which makes it easier to remember what you need to check and respond to.
  • This is a small one I noticed after I switched from Android to iOS, but the baked-in Android alarm clock tells you how many hours of sleep you'll be getting. iPhones make you do the mental math.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_2G5PKTynU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 01:23 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
  • When you buy an iPhone, you're stuck with as much storage as you decided to buy at the get-go. Most Android phones, however, have a microSD card slot, so you can easily and cheaply buy more storage space.
    Hasn't been true for years.
  • If your battery starts sucking, you can often remove it and replace it with a new one. Can't do that with an iPhone.
  • A bunch of Android phones (including the HTC One, LG G3, and the Galaxy S5) can be used as remote controls, because they have infrared blasters on the top. iPhones do not.
  • Android files screenshots, downloaded pics, and pictures saved from messages into their own separate folders.
    So? iOS separates out things like screenshots too.
  • Android doesn't care where your music comes from. Apple and iOS 8, however, require iTunes if you want to load your iPhone up with songs, and you need iPhoto if you ever want to get your photos onto your computer.
    Completely false.
  • You can use any micro-USB cable to charge your Android phone. If you want to charge your iPhone, you need to have Apple's proprietary "Lightning" cable.
    Hey, first true thing in this list, although it's type C now!
  • Google's app store lets you download apps to your phone directly from its website. If you search for an iPhone app in a browser, on the other hand, you have to launch iTunes or the App Store to download and install it.
  • You can set multiple user accounts on the same Android tablet.
  • Apple's baked-in Maps app isn't as good as Google's, but on an iPhone, you can't make Google Maps your default.
  • On an iPhone, you can unlock your phone with your fingerprint or a passcode. On most Android devices, you have several additional options, including patterns or face unlocks.
    True, but patterns are less secure and the face/iris/etc recognition on Android devices is notoriously crap. Apple put in the specialized hardware to have FaceID actually work properly. As is often the case, Apple takes their time while Android manufacturers (particularly Samsung) churn out half-baked garbage that should never have shipped.
  • You can customize an Android phone much more than an iPhone, like by adding widgets on your home screen.
  • Android phones don't force you to keep all of your apps on one of your home screens, as iPhones do.
  • On quite a few Android phones, you can open and see multiple apps at once.
  • When you have an Android phone, your notifications are always shown at the top of your screen, which makes it easier to remember what you need to check and respond to.
    It actually just creates a gigantic mess of little icons that are mostly worthless. Notifications are one swipe away in iOS.
  • This is a small one I noticed after I switched from Android to iOS, but the baked-in Android alarm clock tells you how many hours of sleep you'll be getting. iPhones make you do the mental math.
    Nope. There's a bedtime feature. you put in when you want to get up and how sleep you want.
2012 called and it wants its talking points back.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:31 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,797 times
I work in the phone market, and from my experience people buy iphones because that's all they've ever known.

With that said, I feel Apple makes a better device than Samsung, and Samsum makes the best android phones.

I use Android because it's what I'm use for

Old 11-16-2017, 01:52 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
When you buy an iPhone, you're stuck with as much storage as you decided to buy at the get-go. Most Android phones, however, have a microSD card slot, so you can easily and cheaply buy more storage space.

This is true, but it hasn't been much of an issue for me. I have over 5,000 photos on my phone (need to clean it up) and have more than enough space.

If your battery starts sucking, you can often remove it and replace it with a new one. Can't do that with an iPhone.

I've never had any phone long enough for this to be an issue. iPhone, Android, Nokia, etc

A bunch of Android phones (including the HTC One, LG G3, and the Galaxy S5) can be used as remote controls, because they have infrared blasters on the top. iPhones do not.

I guess that's nice. But what do you do when for a TV that's used by a bunch of people? My grandma is certainly not using a smartphone as a remote control

Android files screenshots, downloaded pics, and pictures saved from messages into their own separate folders.

I have a section for screenshots that's separate from other photos. Downloaded pics just get dumped into the photos section. For photos from messages, they get dumped but I also can just go to the message it came from if I don't want to actually save.

Android doesn't care where your music comes from. Apple and iOS 8, however, require iTunes if you want to load your iPhone up with songs, and you need iPhoto if you ever want to get your photos onto your computer.

You still need some sort of way to get music onto your phone. Back when I had an MP3 player I did it through Windows Media Player. Then I just changed that to iTunes. Big deal.
And the thing about photos is just plain wrong. I've always been able to just connect with a USB cord and upload pics directly to my computer. Windows or Mac. In fact, a few years ago when I had an iPod touch and a Galaxy S2, I actually had more difficulty with the S2. It was trying to upload every single photo, thumbnails included, even if my computer already had it on there. Meanwhile it recognized my iPod photos that were already on my PC and just uploaded the new photos. Plus, I've been able to upload photos to 3rd party apps like Amazon photos and Google Photos, no issues.

You can use any micro-USB cable to charge your Android phone. If you want to charge your iPhone, you need to have Apple's proprietary "Lightning" cable.

Only time I ever had a micro usb cord was when I had an Android. Never had a use for one since. You also get a cord with any phone you buy so it's not a huge deal.

Google's app store lets you download apps to your phone directly from its website. If you search for an iPhone app in a browser, on the other hand, you have to launch iTunes or the App Store to download and install it.

Wow, you have to click a link and it'll take you directly to the app store and show the app. What a terrible problem.

Apple's baked-in Maps app isn't as good as Google's, but on an iPhone, you can't make Google Maps your default.

Apple Maps is garbage but I've had no issue with just using Google Maps on there. It is a little annoying that clicking an address tries to launch Apple Maps but I just copy paste instead.

On an iPhone, you can unlock your phone with your fingerprint or a passcode. On most Android devices, you have several additional options, including patterns or face unlocks.

No one I know has ever mentioned pattern unlock as a reason they like Android more than iPhone. Of all the reasons to prefer one or the other, this is so incredibly miniscule.

You can customize an Android phone much more than an iPhone, like by adding widgets on your home screen.

This is true, but for the average user, it really doesn't matter. Some of the widgets I had were nice, but I don't really miss having them.

Android phones don't force you to keep all of your apps on one of your home screens, as iPhones do.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about launching an apps folder or something? I just keep stuff in folder that make sense to me. The days of scrolling through 6 home pages for apps ended years ago.

On quite a few Android phones, you can open and see multiple apps at once.

This is unfortunately but sometimes I can cheat and just do the double home button press and look at a different app if I need to look something up. Other than that, I never need to run two apps at once.

When you have an Android phone, your notifications are always shown at the top of your screen, which makes it easier to remember what you need to check and respond to.

I hated this. My S2 always had 50 billion notifications which defeated the purpose. It was just too clunky .
And I can still look at notifications by pulling down from the top of the screen.

This is a small one I noticed after I switched from Android to iOS, but the baked-in Android alarm clock tells you how many hours of sleep you'll be getting. iPhones make you do the mental math.

The new(ish) bedtime feature shows the hours and minutes (in 5 minute intervals). Right now I have bedtime as 4 am with an alarm at noon (I'm in the middle of working night shift). It shows 8 hours. I can just move the entire 8 hour interval so that the alarm goes off at say, 1 pm and it'll automatically move "bedtime" to 5 am. Or I can move either bedtime or the alarm time and it'll adjust the time. And it has the sleep analysis graph showing a general idea of how much sleep I got.
h

Old 11-16-2017, 05:52 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Keeth View Post
I don't get it. Maybe I'm just a complete idiot, but why do people need/get a new iPhone every year, and how much better (if at all) than your average Android phone??

I feel like an idiot or like I'm out of the loop for not really knowing what this iPhone craziness is all about...?

I am thinking about getting a "new" Note 4 from my now Note 3, and to me that seems like it would be good enough for mr.

I don't know, maybe someone here can explain this Apple craze to me in layman's terms??
Better yet, what is it with the "smart phone" craze?
Do ALL of those users really NEED all the features, or is it just the need for the latest and greatest, a "keep up with the Jones's" thing?
My phone is a simple little LG/Verizon flip phone. It is set up to make and receive phone calls. I do not text, I have little or no use for any of the "apps" that are available for smarter-than-I-am phones. I seldom take pictures, not even with my digital camera. The phone is probably 4 or 5 years old, I don't remember. I remember why I got a new one, though. I dropped it in a snow bank several years ago, and didn't find it for a couple of days. It never worked after that. That one didn't have a camera. The new one does. Oh wow, I am so thrilled...
NOT!

Old 11-16-2017, 07:58 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Do ALL of those users really NEED all the features, or is it just the need for the latest and greatest, a "keep up with the Jones's" thing?
My phone is a simple little LG/Verizon flip phone. It is set up to make and receive phone calls. I do not text, I have little or no use for any of the "apps" that are available for smarter-than-I-am phones. I seldom take pictures, not even with my digital camera. The phone is probably 4 or 5 years old, I don't remember. I remember why I got a new one, though. I dropped it in a snow bank several years ago, and didn't find it for a couple of days. It never worked after that. That one didn't have a camera. The new one does. Oh wow, I am so thrilled...
NOT!
Well good for you, if you don't care to text or take photos or run apps that's your choice. Most people do. Your type is dying off and soon there won't be flip phones anymore.

Do you NEED to post on CD? It's not a matter of NEED but of WANT. People want these things. They aren't keeping up with the Jones', they are the Jones.

Most people prefer having one smartphone than a dozen individual devices it replaces. Who needs paper maps when driving somewhere? Who needs an alarm clock by their bed to wake up? (And good riddance to figuring out the one supplied in motels when traveling.) Who needs a notepad for the grocery list? Who needs a clock or a calendar on the wall? Who needs a rolodex/address book or phone book? Who needs a radio or an MP3 player or a DVD player? Who needs a digital camera? Who needs to read the newspaper or watch the news on TV? Who needs a gameboy? Who needs a wristwatch? All of these functions and many more can be done from one small and secure device.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:12 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
NOT!
Let me guess, you’re retired?

For corporate use, a cell phone with a camera is used a lot. Want to capture what’s on a whiteboard and email it to colleagues? Trivial with a smartphone. Traveling and want to keep in touch with the team? FaceTime, Skype or WebEx apps.

Want to remember where you parked at the airport? Take a picture and/or use a locator app. At the airport and your flight is canceled? Skip the line and reschedule via an app.

Driving around in a new city? Waze is your friend. Want to find cheap gas? GasBuddy app.

Forgot to pay a bill before you left? Banking app.

Need some entertainment? Netflix or Kindle app.

Away and want to check on the house? Security system app, camera app, etc.

People are even doing corporate YouTube videos with a smartphone now.

Last edited by markjames68; 11-16-2017 at 08:24 AM..

Old 11-16-2017, 08:48 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,086,660 times
Quote:
NOT!
I kind of see where you're coming from. My dad is going on 70 and he has no use for a cell phone aside from occasional call...and that's it.

That said, he was intrigued when I told him I had directions on my phone via Google maps - so much so I think I am going to give him my "old" smartphone. I think at the age he's getting at the maps thing alone - even though he will hardly use the phone for anything other than that - might benefit him .

Futhermore, you can get traffic information on your smartphone. Which if you live in Minnesota in the last few years the construction/traffic is a living HELL (thank you Mark Dayton) - with my smartphone I can find out which freeways/highways are backed the heck up and totally avoid them. That's a very convenient convenience to have in your pocket.

Also, even though this isn't in his case, you can't even accept picture messages via text if you don't have a smartphone of some sort.

I think no doubt if you just want a phone in case you break down in the middle of nowhere, you don't necesarilly need a smartphone.

I will say though that since I went to a smartphone years ago that I could never see myself ever going back to anything that doesn't have all the luxuries that they come with and that I am used to, now.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:10 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Quote:
NOT!
I have a smart phone because I use it as a timer, exercise and heart rate monitor, alarm clock, email reader, internet browser, camera, GPS navigator, bill payer, instant messenger, calendar, to do list, Kindle reader, business finder. I even use it as a flashlight and a compass. When I go out for breakfast with friends, I use Venmo to transfer money to the person paying the bill so I don't have to carry around wads of cash. Some of us use them to replace a number of other devices. That works for some of us because it's cheaper than buying those other devices, and easier than lugging a backpack full of electronics around. It has nothing to do with keeping up with the Joneses for most of us, I suspect.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:40 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
I'm 41 and I also preferred life without smartphones. They don't make my life any easier but rather more distracting. Yes I could just turn it off but why pay for something that is going to be off? Unless its changed in the past couple of years, you cannot even use a smartphone without a data plan. Life is slowly heading to the point where it will resemble the movie Wall-E. This post was for no other reason to point out that its not only "elderly" people that don't embrace cell phones. Of course I guess to a teenager I would be considered elderly, lol.

My wife tries to encourage me to get an IPhone because she is able to receive texts from the kids on hers and thoroughly enjoys it but I cant get past the function or cost of an IPhone. I think those that love Iphones and those that love Androids so much do so because they are so used to them and how they work.

I also don't take care of my phone much either so it would be foolish to buy something expensive. I constantly drop mine, lose it here and there for a few days, occasionally chuck it across the back yard if it pisses me off...you know that kind of stuff. Sorry for the rant.

I also don't like the "cloud". I don't want my phone to be backed up. If I get a new phone I want it to feel like a new phone and start fresh. Its a great time for me to weed out my phone list. As it is, for about a year now, I get constant notification that the cloud is full, very frustrating; I would just delete it if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology