U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2017, 06:37 PM

4,538 posts, read 1,919,633 times

Advertisements

Moving Data to New Micro SD Card

(When I tried to use the SD Card in the adapter and put it in the computer, to transfer files to it: I GOT THE MESSAGE Device not Formatted. That did not make sense, So... I REMOVED IT FROM MY COMPUTER, AND TOOK IT OUT OF THE ADAPTER "THEN" I put the card in the phone device, connected the USB cable, and then clicked on My phone in Windows Explorer, and then I clicked on the SD Card in my Phones Storage Section shown on My Windows Explorer.... and it showed the existing pre-loaded folders that are on the SD Card. I went back and I dragged my Music to the Music Folder, My Pictures to the Picture Folder and ETC...

So... "TRY THIS"

Don't Try to Format It (unless you have a specific reason to do so) -
  • Put the SD Card In the Device you plan to use it on,
    Then connect USB Cable to Device and to your computer where you files are located
    Go to File Manager On Your Computer ......
    Find Your Phone or Tables Device
    Click on SD Card
    It will Open and Show You The Pre Loaded Folders On it.
    then go find your desired files and Drag Files to The Folder of Choice among what is listed on the SD Card
    OR Click on SD Card....
    Go to File on your menu bar and select Create NEW Folder,
    Create Folder
    Give it a name,
    then go back and find your data,
    and simply Drag Data to desired folder.

I successfully created folder(s) on the SD Card, and even inserted my flash drive in my computer and moved files from it, into folders I created on the SD Card.

It worked for me, hope it works for you

Note:
These Micro SD Card Units come "Pre-Formatted"

Be careful with trying to format and reformat them, (think of the small size, and consider the nature of magnetic data system, (It's fragile), so, repeated formatting may cause issues.)

My card is 128 GB... It shows me the full amount of data, with no partitions.

(( Now, consider this)): If your phone has a capacity of 32GB for for SD Data, then If you put a larger size card in it, (it might not work), but if it does...it may likely partition that drive into 32GB sectors, If it does.. then consider those partitions as simply being like: Drive A, Drive B and Etc... and create folders as desired in those individual drive partitions, I don't know, if it does, but it that is what it does, (It may replicate itself in each of the 32GB sectors with the pre-formatted folders).. IF it does, you can always -Rename them to be what you want. And add the folders that you desire and give the folders the name that you desire... and drag files to those folders.

Hope the info is helpful... I've read much data of people having troubles with trying to get data on some of the Micro SD cards, as I mentioned, such as saying "My computer saying needs to Format" ... It simply did not make sense. So... I did the steps I outlined above and had no problems moving my data to a new and large Micro SD Card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 07:03 PM

36,696 posts, read 37,470,132 times
The likely issue is the adapter/device does not support the type of SD card. 128GB is a SDXC card and trying to use it in SD or SDHC reader is like trying to play a Blu ray disc in a DVD player.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:55 PM

3,813 posts, read 1,817,866 times
i get that when i put my fedora (ext2 formatted) sd into my windows laptop. ms-windows is limited to only be able to read fat/ntfs so anything it cant understand it assumes needs to be formatted which would lead to data loss.

android is based on the linux kernel and understands multiple filesystems. it translates the data into the standard mtp protocol so that windows can mount it.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:13 AM

I was able to put files and folders on it. But it auto created a folder called "WindowsApps".... and I moved the apps into it, but they won't work.

the older MicroSD which is 16GB... did not have a folder where the apps were kept, they were just on the SD Card. But if I try to drag them to the Micro SDXC, (without putting them a folder), it will not allow me to do so, I cannot just savethe apps without putting them in a folder. (that to me seem strange, do you know a solution?)

Maybe the issue thecoalman said is the reason. Because it is a microSDXC. (so you are saying there is no fix for the issues)

There is a problem when I try to load additional apps, (as if something is missing that is suppose to tell it to put them in the folder (WindowsApps)., therefore it seems nothing is telling it to go to the (WindowsApps) folder and read the app. So, I get an app error.

stanley-88888888 ... My phone is a "Windows Phone". (I wonder why Windows will not adopt a system to do the same as Linux in allowing multiple file systems)

If I can't fix this issue, then I may just use it for "general file storage".

Thanks for the information.

I will go read more about these devices.

Quote:
I wonder why Scandisk would not make it capable to be either file system, by offering an option to choose "format type" ? Seems they could pre-load a formatting app on the SD Card. ((Does that make sense?))
it certainly would make it more "generically user friendly"

If I knew how to make Apps, I'd try to create one. I think I'm going to invest time to learn some app development skills.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:14 AM

I also have a great Idea for an "App", but I need to know people who have "App Development Skills".

Old 11-17-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post

Maybe the issue thecoalman said is the reason. Because it is a microSDXC. (so you are saying there is no fix for the issues)
AFAIK if you are trying to use SDXC card in a device that was made for SD or SDHC it's not going to work. It's a different technology adapted to the same physical specifications as the previous one for backwards compatibility so you can use SD card in a reader that can read SDXC. The fix is to buy a card reader that is compatible with SDXC.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
AFAIK if you are trying to use SDXC card in a device that was made for SD or SDHC it's not going to work. It's a different technology adapted to the same physical specifications as the previous one for backwards compatibility so you can use SD card in a reader that can read SDXC. The fix is to buy a card reader that is compatible with SDXC.
If the Card Reader is the issue and it is built into my phone, then I would need a new model phone with the tech upgrade built in the Phone?

Old 11-17-2017, 03:14 PM

You are confusing....

Quote:
When I tried to use the SD Card in the adapter and put it in the computer, to transfer files to it: I GOT THE MESSAGE Device not Formatted.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You are confusing....
No aim to be confusing.. I inserted the 128GB MicroSDXC into my phone -- Windows 640XL Model, there was folders on the 128GB MicroSD, for Documents, Music, Video, and Picture... It also showed a folder called "WindowsApps".... and I moved the apps into the folder labeled "Windowsapps", but the apps won't work from the folder.

Also, I was able to move music files into the music folder, I was able to move Picture into the Picture folder as well, and documents to the document folder.... I also was able to create "new folder" and able to put files in the folders I created.

My issue is: It won't read the Apps From the "WindowsApps folder", and It won't allow me to add new apps via the the phone (which is set to add new apps to SD card)...
It's strange.

As I said on the older SD16GBSDHD... I can load apps directly to the card, without them being placed in a folder.

The new Card 128GB MicroSDXC will not let me add (anything) to the SDcard UNLESS it is added inside of a designated folder.

I think my phone automatically created the "Windowsapps folder"...???? what I don't understand is, if it created that folder, then it should know it and it should read from that folder as well as add new apps to that folder. If it would do that I'd be satisfied with it.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:17 AM

It now is working like it should, except for one confusing issue. I won't allow me to "re-install" previous apps... but it will down load apps that I've never previous downloaded.

I read that some app providers will not allow their apps to be re-install.

I deleted every trace of previous apps that I could find, and cleared the cache on the "WUdownloadcache". it still would not "reinstall the apps on the New SD Card, even when every instance of it has been deleted.
I think the issue is, that maybe I should have deleted or done something, before I removed the old SDCard, becasue by some means, the apps find something that cause it not to 'reinstall itself".

some of this stuff should have cross comparability built into them, as well as other things. Including older apps, having a "ungrade and reinsall" with any next fixes or whatever.

Software developers are still fighting the same battles they fought back in the 1990's of trying to make things that others can't use on various platforms.

Incompatiability limits their own market share..

I notice a list of tablets now with both Windows and Android system on them. I think those manufactures are smart enough to know, its beneficial to give customers usable options.

It would be great is someone made an app that could convert Android script to Windows scrip, and Windows script to android..... and what other systems out, as a "Data Convert App" for platform adaptability of Apps.

Everything someone will make ti widely available to the general public and stop all the craziness. The SAME as many forced the Video to be able to play on multiple script types of players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology