Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 07:38 AM

440 posts, read 549,365 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know ... Completely vague....

I always loved working with computers, in the early 90's ( while young) was really into computer, building , coding ( to a point) .. But life can into play and was removed .. However, I am not at a point with my life & career that I want to really learn ..

What are my options... If I wanted to start learning computers , what do you do ? ( as in Hacking, coding, trouble shooting etc, are they all separate expertise or all encompassing )

I completely understand this post is not very helpful, just looking for some clarity .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 07:49 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
All of this is about as vague as saying "I like science! I wanna work in science! What do I do?"

Look for jobs, apply, see what happens. That's about the best I can say on the matter.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:41 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"If I wanted to start learning computers , what do you do ?"

I love mixed tenses. I'd probably have a drink and say "cheers!"

You missed the curve with personal computers. My guess is that the itsie-bitsie ones like the Arduino may still have significant room for meaningful play outside of a drudgery factory.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:02 AM

360 posts, read 371,920 times
An advertisement says that an intelligence work is a smart choice

Old 11-26-2017, 10:43 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
The areas you describe are as different as a plumber is from a doctor.

Try learning to program Java or JavaScript (they are different despite the similar name) as a starting point. If that works well for you come back.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:35 AM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
Yes, I know ... Completely vague....

I always loved working with computers, in the early 90's ( while young) was really into computer, building , coding ( to a point) .. But life can into play and was removed .. However, I am not at a point with my life & career that I want to really learn ..

What are my options... If I wanted to start learning computers , what do you do ? ( as in Hacking, coding, trouble shooting etc, are they all separate expertise or all encompassing )

I completely understand this post is not very helpful, just looking for some clarity .
Google up some free online software teaching academies. Microsoft has one, Khan Academy is another, Google is a third. There are more, but stick with ones that don't want money from you.

Consider this your first assignment - if you can't find these free virtual academies, then you're probably not cut out for "working in computers".

Old 11-27-2017, 11:00 AM

440 posts, read 549,365 times
Let me rephrase... ( as I should of expected the pretentious remarks)

1. What area's should I focus my learning ..
2. What vehicle of education - a psychical technical school, specific online classes, IT Degree . etc.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:04 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
twit.tv has a sponsor that is an online school. I forget the name of it offhand, but it might be an idea for you to watch "The Week In Tech" and "Screensavers" and some of the other programs to get your feet wet.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:37 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
Let me rephrase... ( as I should of expected the pretentious remarks)

1. What area's should I focus my learning ..
2. What vehicle of education - a psychical technical school, specific online classes, IT Degree . etc.
If you said you wished to work "in cars," what options can you think of?
[] Design [] Manufacture [] Repair [] Operation [] Sales [] Salvage come to mind.

They can also apply to computers.
If you wish to DESIGN computers, an education in electronics engineering is useful.
If you wish to MANUFACTURE computers, learning Mandarin is helpful.
If you wish to REPAIR computers, studying electronics technology /and/or/ apprenticeship may be sufficient.
If you wish to OPERATE (as a programmer), then you have a vast choice depending on what specialty you wish to focus on : _ _ Internet (browsers, networks, servers, hardware, etc) _ _ Industrial (robotics, manufacturing, numerical controlled machines, etc) _ _ Education (training others) _ _ Entertainment (animation, game engines, audio - video production).

Though advanced degrees are necessary for certain regulated jobs, when it comes to software engineering / applications programming, adepts can work "in computers" with no academic credentials. All it takes is skill. Acquiring that skill is the BIG question.

One "frugal" option is to install a LINUX distribution, and become proficient in any one of the many existing computer languages currently in use, thanks to the freeware software developer kits (SDK).

Since LINUX is based on UNIX, and UNIX was developed on C, learning C is a good start - and C++, etc. But there are many many popular languages in use : python, perl, PHP, ruby, etc. Again, the choice of the language is based on the market. 40 years ago, programming IBM mainframe computers, one might need to be proficient in COBOL, FORTRAN, PL/1, DB2, SCRIPT, CADAM, APL, and VM370.

If you wished to work on / in SERVERS, most are running LINUX. You might look into APACHE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_HTTP_Server
*Written in C, XML

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle)
LAMP is an acronym of the names of its original four open-source components: the Linux operating system, the Apache HTTP Server, the MySQL relational database management system (RDBMS), and the PHP programming language.

One option is to install a LINUX distribution, then install a SERVER that uses LAMP, and learn programming on it and the various other programs used by it (SQL, PHP, Perl, Python, etc).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_kit
A software development kit (SDK or devkit) is typically a set of software development tools that allows the creation of applications for a certain software package, software framework, hardware platform, computer system, video game console, operating system, or similar development platform. To enrich applications with advanced functionalities, advertisements, push notifications and more, most app developers implement specific software development kits. Some SDKs are critical for developing a platform-specific app. For example, the development of an Android app on Java platform requires a Java Development Kit, for iOS apps the iOS SDK, and for Universal Windows Platform the .NET Framework SDK. There are also SDKs that are installed in apps to provide analytics and data about activity. Prominent examples include Google, InMobi and Facebook.

Even if you do not own a target system, you can probably emulate it for software design.
For example, writing games for unreleased consoles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_development_kit

Hope this helps.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Addendum:
There are many free sites for learning LINUX and its various applications.
Here's an example for learning Apache HTTP server on UBUNTU (a popular Linux distribution).
https://www.linux.com/learn/apache-u...inux-beginners
The Apache HTTP server is a mighty beast that powers the majority of websites. It has evolved into a complex server that slices, dices, dances, and sings. It powers vast hosting centers, and it is also splendid for running small personal sites.
The trick with Apache is knowing which configurations you need as it has plenty to choose from. We'll start with setting up a single site, and then in part 2 set up SSL, which is vitally important, and we'll learn a bit about the .htaccess file. Yes, .htaccess, that wonderful file that allows us to make per-directory configurations, but which uses such a contorted syntax it reduces the most stoic server admin to tears and whimpers. The good news is you never need to use .htaccess if you have access to your Apache configuration files. But when you don't, for example on shared hosting, you need .htaccess.
In this series we'll tackle Debian/Ubuntu/Mint and Fedora/CentOS/Red Hat separately, because the various Linux families are all special flowers that feel they must organize the Apache configuration files in their own unique ways.
. . .
. .
. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology