Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 11:42 PM

18 posts, read 13,719 times

Advertisements

Not planning on doing it but I heard one of my young classmates (20) went on a "No Tech" hiking trip to get away from the smartphones and internet that seem to be plaguing a lot of people today in Africa with 3 other members in his school

Although he did fairly okay the first few days, he hates nature (worms, snails, spiders sleeping with insects making noises) and really had no "nature smarts". As a result on the third day, he lost all his food and water.

This forced everyone to go back as the remaining few had little food left and it was very very hot.

A disclaimer, my friend is very weird and does incredibly weird things. In this case, it was bringing a 10ml hypodermic syringe despite the fact that he doesn't have any diabetes or any other medical conditions. He thought to himself before he went on the trip that he would bring a solution of sugar but instead opted for something like red bull and lucozade in case he couldn't eat or drink for some reason and wanted quicker energy.

He lost those all along with bottled water so his syringe was useless but I wonder what if he had brought along some boiled water containing a concentrated amount of sugar. Would injecting this into his vein have actually worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 12:07 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
A sugar solution (D50, D10, D5W) is an emergency medicine used for hypoglycemia all the time.

But, sucrose (table sugar) is a disaccharide - two monosaccharides joined together (glucose + fructose), and since a disaccharide normally never reaches our bloodstream without being degraded into two monosaccharides first, our cells are simply unprepared for it. To put it bluntly, there isn't even a mechanism to get the sucrose inside a cell!

Your friend could fetch some sucrose to eat, but he couldn't inject it into his veins.
Injecting liquid sugar would result diabetic coma, sugar would actually shut down organs in his body and potentially kill him.

Last edited by elnina; 12-10-2017 at 12:25 AM..

Old 12-10-2017, 12:13 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallyflaccid View Post
Not planning on doing it but I heard one of my young classmates (20) went on a "No Tech" hiking trip to get away from the smartphones and internet that seem to be plaguing a lot of people today in Africa with 3 other members in his school

Although he did fairly okay the first few days, he hates nature (worms, snails, spiders sleeping with insects making noises) and really had no "nature smarts". As a result on the third day, he lost all his food and water.

This forced everyone to go back as the remaining few had little food left and it was very very hot.

A disclaimer, my friend is very weird and does incredibly weird things. In this case, it was bringing a 10ml hypodermic syringe despite the fact that he doesn't have any diabetes or any other medical conditions. He thought to himself before he went on the trip that he would bring a solution of sugar but instead opted for something like red bull and lucozade in case he couldn't eat or drink for some reason and wanted quicker energy.

He lost those all along with bottled water so his syringe was useless but I wonder what if he had brought along some boiled water containing a concentrated amount of sugar. Would injecting this into his vein have actually worked.
Eating straight sugar works pretty fast, no hypo needed. Sugar syrup would be a bit faster yet.

As an aside, I think your friend is not cut out for hiking/backpacking trips.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:16 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
No. Anyone who can't keep track of his food and water for 3 days shouldn't be allowed access to sharp objects like hypodermic needles.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:09 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,913,234 times
might as well just put a air pocket in his arm.. tell your friend darwin always wins.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:00 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Glucagon is used to treat extreme lows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology