Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 08:51 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times

Advertisements

Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. When you see magic beyond David Copperfield or David Blaine, it's the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 09:04 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
I think there are things that make you wow from time to time. Smartphones, smart devices, etc.

That said - while technological innovation seemed to have accelerated over the last 5-7 years, I almost feel that social norms/behavior has deteriorated. But I guess that's a conversation for a different thread...

Old 12-25-2017, 07:00 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
This morning my amazon show alarm went off waking me up. The display showed the time. As I got up I used voice commands to turn on my bedroom light.

I grabbed my bathrobe, and went downstairs to shower, I told the echo dot in my bathroom to play my playlist.

As I dressed in my room I asked my echo show for the morning news, and what my commute was looking like.

Thats just one piece of tech that changed things into something I only saw in science fiction when I was younger.

I have a virtual reality headset (A vive), and im seeing cures show up for previously lethal things.

People are auto-identified in my photos, and cell phones are amazing!
Interesting, don’t have any of that....early adopters are living in the future,
other people, like me, not so much.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Do you feel like we are living in the future yet?
The reason why most people don't feel like we are living in the future is because the technological changes take effect gradually and we get "gradually" accustomed to the changes. This is similar to putting a frog in a pot of water on the stove, and gradually increasing the heat. But if you are old enough and compare the technologies of the 50's to the technologies of today, then you realize how far we have moved into the future.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:20 PM

222 posts, read 194,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The reason why most people don't feel like we are living in the future is because the technological changes take effect gradually and we get "gradually" accustomed to the changes. This is similar to putting a frog in a pot of water on the stove, and gradually increasing the heat. But if you are old enough and compare the technologies of the 50's to the technologies of today, then you realize how far we have moved into the future.
It is not just tech though I feel our infrastructure has not changed. Lots of older architecture from seventies lots of older homes still around.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:45 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
It's cool how we can all use this forum to communicate instantly across the globe about how underwhelming the future is.
Perhaps the "underwhelming" note keeps being struck because people don't change. Lots of new toys, same old animal.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:02 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
I spoke to my sister and her family yesterday and we were remembering the old days when family members had to line up to speak on the phone. "Hurry up, it's LONG DISTANCE". My first TV in college was B & W. My first calculator was a $ 99 Bomar 4 function job. I remember hating my friends whose phone number was 998-9999 because of rotary phones, thank God for push buttons. I've seen fax machines come & go. I could go on, but yeah, I feel like I'm in the future.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:12 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
You have no idea how 1980's it really is, do you? I was doing the same (different topics) starting in 1984 with Usenet. Replies took a little longer, mostly due to the fewer number of participants.

By 1990 I was freaking my mom out by leaving her text messages on her computer (me in Montana at college, her in Wyoming in her college office), had "penpals" all over the globe and real-time chat via telnet services anytime I liked. Video chat was a thing by the mid 90's. Oohhh, so modern and futuristic here in 2018, 20 and 30 years later.
The 1980s were also futuristic and cool. Really, I'd peg the 1950s as a historic leap into a new era, with the advent of TVs and microwaves and so on. The future seems passe because we've been living in it for 60 years.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:14 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
This isnt just by coincidence though, its planned that way for a reason.

Gone are the days when we would see huge leap forwards like the light bulb, the wheel, ability to create fire, etc.

I think its strange we dont see many inventors on the internet, especially with Youtube and other video sharing sites, in years past, inventors would put on public displays of their newest invention or creation, in town square or public parks, (even if they didnt work)...dont see any of that nowadays for some reason? where are the Teslas, Edisons, etc of our time?

Old 12-26-2017, 04:20 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
<>where are the Teslas, Edisons, etc of our time?
Some will tell you they are in the Gulag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology