U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 05:29 PM

25,551 posts, read 37,036,430 times

Advertisements

https://www.popsci.com/technology/ar...-ever-now-sale

Quote:
If you have a spare $1500 burning a hole in your pocket, perhaps you'd like to spend it on an ultra-precise, ultra-small atomic clock, now available for purchase from Symmetricom Inc. Draper Laboratory and Sandia National Laboratories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 1,403 times
Joining a bit late, but I have been wondering why we don't have "Internet" clocks. Meaning they connect to your Wi-Fi and get the time from NIST servers on the internet?

I have three LaCrosse "atomic" clocks, and only one location (of the three) will get a WWV signal overnight, so I rotate the clocks periodically. Every now and then, the one in the "good" location is off by a nice round number (often a few hours, one time a few years). I have attributed it to the hardware, but it's also possible it's interference of some sort. Or a very much delayed multipath :-D

Old 03-15-2018, 01:35 PM

4,324 posts, read 2,754,734 times
WOW! the advertising didn't mention that they should face Ft. Collins, and there should be no more than one wall between the clock and Colorado, and they shouldn't be near electronic gadgets, etc., etc.

Two Lacrosse wall-mounted "Atomic Clocks" arrived yesterday. OK, I'm giving them 5 days to calibrate as recommended in the instructions, and if no go, I plan to simply reset them manually and have just regular battery-powered clocks.

How well do they perform as regular clocks without the Colorado radio transmissions?

Old 03-17-2018, 10:16 PM

974 posts, read 489,605 times
I have a SloScan clock which I really love. It quit working and we changed batteries, still wasn't working after reset as per instructions. Bought new sending unit still could not get it to work. Read instructions again and noted that it should be facing Colorado. We put it in the window facing right direction. First the outside temperature came back on after a day, then after 3 more days the time began to work again. I don't know why it took so long. But we couldn't get it going until we put it in the window facing Colorado. That seemed to do the trick.

I wish they still sold these clocks. Appears nobody has this brand any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or