U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 04:15 AM

8,905 posts, read 9,060,694 times

Advertisements

When I learned trigonometry in high school they used to emphasize the mnemonic SOHCAHTOA
sine is opposite over hypotenuse, cosine is adjacent over hypotenuse, tangent is opposite over adjacent

The ratio definitions are so fundamental in education that I find that many people can't correlate the trigonometry terms with the geometry terms tangent, secant, arc, and complementary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 10:42 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,496,131 times
This brings back a lot of memories.
Back in the 70's I worked in a shipyard doing lay out aboard the ship and the first thing my lead man gave me was a Illinois Tool Works Trigonometry Tables pocket sized book that I kept in my back pocket that had all the formulas for solving degrees and angles for different triangles.
It made solving complex degree layouts so simple.

I still remember doing the layout for the anchor chain hawse pipe that went forward, outboard, and downward from the main deck through 2 decks and then penetrating the hull using trig to lay it out.

Last edited by NickofDiamonds; 02-11-2018 at 11:00 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 1,274 times
Is it required? I'd say it depends on your level of math skill. Geometry was a prerequisite for Aglebra2/trig when I was in highschool. I don't think I would've had any trouble in trig had I skipped geometry. Heck, I did skip geometry a lot back then. Still aced it, but then again math was always very easy for me. So no, I don't it's necessarily needed beforehand, but I do think it would be beneficial for some prior to taking trig.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:51 AM

29,654 posts, read 8,829,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My high school track in the 90's was Algebra-Geometry-Trigonometry-Calculus. Unfortunately, I'm a dunce at Geometry. I loved Algebra.

I recently considered whether I should get second bachelor's degree in Computer Science and the 6+ higher mathematics classes in the track cooled my jets considerably.

Yours was the same as mine--in the '60s

Old 03-06-2018, 06:34 AM

618 posts, read 180,431 times
It's odd, trigonometry and geometry were easy for me, I enjoyed them. They made an intuitive kind of sense to me because I could see the things and manipulate them in my mind. I hated algebra, etc. because it was so abstract....I couldn't see anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or