U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 07:47 AM

71 posts, read 27,886 times

Advertisements

This is one of the most mind-blowing things I have heard of in a while:

http://deepluciddreaming.com/2018/01...-lucid-dreams/

Might sounds like a weird joke to those who aren't familiar with the concept of lucid dreaming, but the fact that you can be self-aware of the dreamstate during a dream was actually proven more than half a century ago by asking lucid dreamers to make very specific eye movements during the REM phase and then recording that information on EEG scanners, so it is a scientifically verified phenomenon.
And since dreams are typically based on our experiences and expectations, they will typically behave in fairly realistic ways - you will experience gravity since that's normal to you, walls will be solid since you expect them to be like that, and so on.
This is kind of like daydreaming about something - you can daydream about jumping as high as possible and then falling to the floor again, even though gravity obviously doesn't exist in the same concrete way in a fantasy, and it is surprisingly hard to imagine yourself walking through a solid wall, since you never do something like that in waking life - and dreams are pretty much extremely vivid and immersive versions of daydreams, so it makes sense that this relative stability could allow you to perform physical skills in them.
This can open up a lot of possibilites;
I know of a woman who actually got rid of her fear of flying by boarding airplanes in her dreams multiple times, until she got used to the procedure, which is another amazing application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 06:24 AM

7,068 posts, read 5,845,490 times
This is nothing new. Visualization is the act of practicing a desired outcome ahead of time. Any time you subject the limbic system to a new experience particularly if it's accompanied by an emotional state, and repeat it over and over, it will become a habit over time and start to become easier to do, almost second nature. The limbic system understands emotions and visual stimuli, not words, so positive affirmations unless they are accompanied by the desired emotion, aren't quite as useful.

Like they said in Avatar.. it's like field stripping a weapon.. repetition... that's basically how all human personality is formed combined with DNA traits. Once you understand this it's possible to change or undo any negative state (like obsessive compulsive disorder or anxiety) simply by mindfulness, intention, visualization, repetition.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:18 PM

9,650 posts, read 4,002,811 times
Lucid Dreaming is one of the most mind blowing things I've ever experienced. It's been in practice for 1000's of years. It's not easy to achieve...but it's not impossible to achieve.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:38 PM

71 posts, read 27,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Lucid Dreaming is one of the most mind blowing things I've ever experienced. It's been in practice for 1000's of years. It's not easy to achieve...but it's not impossible to achieve.
I started working on lucid dreams about 7 years ago, and I have had spurs of enthusiasm on occasions.
I can typically get about 5 lucid dreams per month if I stay focused, and I have had a total of about 51 lucid dreams so far.

One of the things that fascinates me the most about lucid dreams is how ridiculously vivid they can be.
I have actually had several so-called "False Awakenings" (dreams about waking up, basically) and for some reason those dreams always turn into lucid dreams for me, and they are often so realistic that I can actually feel the cold floor on my feet and read text written on the things that I have on my shelves.
It can be literally exactly as vivid as waking life itself, and the reason why I know that they have been dreams is because a lot of things have been dramatically different as well - for example, doors can be somewhere else in the house, or my bed could be rotated 90° for no good reason (I live alone in a student apartment, so nobody has even been able to rotate it. nor had any realistic reason to do so - I mean, why would the property owners waltz into my apartment with no warning, rotate my bed, and then leave? that's ridiculous, lol, and besides, I also had a television by my feet in that dream, and I don't have a television in my apartment), and I also once saw a lake right outside the main entrance. xD
Also, "dream characters" can often talk in riddles, and I will stand in front of them and be like "what the hell are you talking about?" and feel confused;
that alone can sometimes make me realise that I am dreaming when I decide to double-check other aspects of that dream.

Last edited by Markus86; 02-08-2018 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or