U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 08:08 PM

7,719 posts, read 11,786,665 times

Advertisements

I remember getting cable when I was in 7th or 8th grade, so that would have been around 1984 or 85. That was when they ran the cable down our rural road. Prior to that we had an outdoor antenna that should have been able to be turned from inside the house, but that was broken, so we had to actually go outside and turn it. It was at the top of a pole. Somebody would turn the pole at the base while somebody else would stand inside at the window. When the picture was good the person inside would knock on the window to let the person outside know to stop turning. If we wanted to watch one of the other two channels we would have to go through the whole process again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 09:06 PM

588 posts, read 102,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy
Ah yeah. The days of MTV hooked up to the TV and stereo. I was in my 20's then and friends would climb the pole and connect it. I had free cable for years.
Someone on the CB radio I used to talk to told us he had FREE CABLE at his apartment for months and the next day they came and unhooked him!!

I wonder (And he did also) if they heard him!!!

Ah well......... I remember talking to an engineer once in the 80s @ a cable company and he said to me "You always have to assume someone is getting it free" -- I wonder if thats why they made it all digital... No one can get it in now I dont think....

Old 02-12-2018, 09:41 PM

5,635 posts, read 3,899,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I'm glad I cut the cord with cable TV. It was a rather time sink having to set up the tape recorder, or otherwise be around when a show/movie started.
That said, did enjoy having friends over to watch Battlestar Galactica as it aired, as well as random stuff on Comedy Central like The Daily Show, and various comedy shows. I myself enjoyed History Channel and MTV, back when they still had history and music respectively
Early cable was a different story. It could get multiple channels to areas that had zero over-the-air reception (like in Aberdeen, WA, where I grew up in the 1950's) or areas with poor or inconsistent reception or with only a few local channels. There was no ESPN, HBO, etc. No junk channels. No bundling.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 PM

3,486 posts, read 1,218,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Who remembers going from three or four networks with an antenna to getting at least double that with cable?
we got 3 channels out of Charlotte with rabbit ears til cable in like 1993.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:27 PM

11,576 posts, read 9,783,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What a bizarre thing to get nostalgic about - going from free TV to a constantly escalating monthly bill.

57 channels and there's nothing on.

We never had only three or four channels - we had a giant rotating antenna that pulled in stations from three states and one Canadian province.
We did get only three channels back in the 1950's and I remember an old round screen Zenith TV. But I do agree that there is nothing on with even a hundred or more to chose from. For my wife I get the premium package with HBO, Showtime and Starz. I look at everything they have available and, most of the time, I do not want to see anything they offer. Then there is the regular programing and all of the 'paid programing' - who in their right mind sits through endless commercials? How many people fall asleep listening to TV and wake up the next morning with a compulsion to buy a new gizmo? I think they think they are subliminally programing us - if I see it on TV I have no urge to buy; to the contrary I try to stay away.

I just wished that we had some system where you only had to pay for what you watched. Of course you could say that Blockbuster or 'pay on demand' would fit that description. But, in general, we have an awful lot of garbage shoved off on us! Can anybody explain why many stations show the same movies over and over again - does a large portion of the population have Alzheimer's?

Old 02-15-2018, 01:06 PM

4,082 posts, read 2,233,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
Someone on the CB radio I used to talk to told us he had FREE CABLE at his apartment for months and the next day they came and unhooked him!!

I wonder (And he did also) if they heard him!!!

Ah well......... I remember talking to an engineer once in the 80s @ a cable company and he said to me "You always have to assume someone is getting it free" -- I wonder if thats why they made it all digital... No one can get it in now I dont think....
Reminds me of the mid 90’s in Queens - get basic cable hooked up. Then call a “guy” who knows a “guy” who installs a special box that gives you all the channels.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:58 PM

1,956 posts, read 773,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Reminds me of the mid 90’s in Queens - get basic cable hooked up. Then call a “guy” who knows a “guy” who installs a special box that gives you all the channels.
right. .remember the filters you put back of your tv.. lol.. we knew a guy that knew a guy that climb poles and would take them off other people lines and sell them lol.. then some company thought its nice to have little boxes in people back yards and use "stoppers".. simple plyers would take them off and you can hook up your cable free of charge..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or