U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 04:05 PM

5,631 posts, read 4,710,230 times

Advertisements

Japanese computer scientists have developed an AI system capable of visualizing human thoughts

What good and bad could result once this kind of thing gets refined by a couple of orders of magnitude and can work at a distance (therefore involuntarily)?

Better treatment for PTSD and depression? Better understanding of how consciousness, thought, perception, and memory works? Really cool games?

Police checkpoints? Employment scans or purity tests for certain roles? Hate thought legislation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:11 AM

3,226 posts, read 1,016,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Japanese computer scientists have developed an AI system capable of visualizing human thoughts

What good and bad could result once this kind of thing gets refined by a couple of orders of magnitude and can work at a distance (therefore involuntarily)?

Better treatment for PTSD and depression? Better understanding of how consciousness, thought, perception, and memory works? Really cool games?

Police checkpoints? Employment scans or purity tests for certain roles? Hate thought legislation?
I noticed the article uses the word "imagine".
A few times.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I noticed the article uses the word "imagine".
A few times.
Are you implying this doesn't exist and since it doesn't we shouldn't imagine anything because it's a safe enough distance into the future?

Creepy Black Mirror-style AI machine can read your mind and recreate images from your thoughts
Japanese scientists just used AI to read minds and it's amazing
Japanese AI recreates images you're thinking about
Researchers in Japan are showing way to decode thoughts
Japanese AI Capable of Visualising Human Thought

I don't find issue with the word "imagine" in this context, but here ^ are a few other sources. I think imagining the potential constructive and destructive uses and downstream impacts of technology such as this is exactly what we should do ahead of time.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Are you implying this doesn't exist and since it doesn't we shouldn't imagine anything because it's a safe enough distance into the future?

Creepy Black Mirror-style AI machine can read your mind and recreate images from your thoughts
Japanese scientists just used AI to read minds and it's amazing
Japanese AI recreates images you're thinking about
Researchers in Japan are showing way to decode thoughts
Japanese AI Capable of Visualising Human Thought

I don't find issue with the word "imagine" in this context, but here ^ are a few other sources. I think imagining the potential constructive and destructive uses and downstream impacts of technology such as this is exactly what we should do ahead of time.
They are looking at correlates.
https://youtu.be/GB5TNrtu9Pk

Old 03-01-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
They are looking at correlates.
https://youtu.be/GB5TNrtu9Pk
I see. Well, I'm a bit of an anthropic mechanist myself. I think in the fullness of time all will be unraveled.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:13 AM

5,140 posts, read 3,461,484 times

This is what they found me thinking about.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I see. Well, I'm a bit of an anthropic mechanist myself. I think in the fullness of time all will be unraveled.
A physicalst determinist like Einstein. ?
He came off poorly in the end.

Neuroscience is materialist based, that's why they're not getting far with mind, they can't address what they can't allow for.
If everything reduces down to atoms, what is mind? Im not sure anything will be revealed except what mind isnt.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post

This is what they found me thinking about.
Hahaha

Godel let you outside again.!

Old 03-03-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
A physicalist determinist like Einstein?
No, not really. I do believe consciousness is information processing and could theoretically, eventually, be both fully understood and instantiated in synthetic information processing, and I do believe humans are extraordinarily complex machines that have emerged from the set of rules that govern both the physical world and the quantum realm.
Quote:
Neuroscience is materialist based, that's why they're not getting far with mind, they can't address what they can't allow for.
I think it's more that we're still only a few inches into a mile-long journey. We are talking about understanding the most complex 'thing' we know of, and how it produces self, perception, ideation, memory, action, etc. It seems impenetrable due to monumental intricacy (not to mention the sheer difficulty involved in studying it). It's very, very early... yet we seem to already be taking a stab at visualizing thoughts.
Quote:
If everything reduces down to atoms, what is mind?
An astonishingly complex and dynamic phenomenon emerging from the most ordered and purposeful arrangement of atoms in the known universe.

I think it may be imprudent to use metaphysical assumptions to deny and avoid discussing the study or potential usage of technologies that may wind up contradicting some of those comforting assumptions. You could say the particular technology shown here isn't very "good," and I certainly wouldn't disagree, as it's been shown so far. But to say it'll never be "good," because it's impossible for it to be good on the grounds that it's impossible to understand the mind and interface with it digitally, or because there's something non-physical and therefore non-observable about the mind, seems short-sighted to me.

No offense intended, after all, my purpose in posting the thread was mainly to inform and show something wacky, kind of cool, yet potentially concerning. I am personally landing on the more pessimistic, concerned side. It has a long, long way to go, but I don't believe this idea of reading thoughts, in all its forms, is simply going to stagnate and disappear. I think it's going to be refined relentlessly.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:46 PM

2,762 posts, read 1,123,435 times
...and it's gonna SLAP YOUR FACE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology