U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 05:02 PM

9,205 posts, read 3,658,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It doesn't claim virus are sloppy replicators, rather it claims HIV is a sloppy replicator, which is one of the reasons they've been unable to develop an HIV vaccine. There are probably a handful of virus that are rather sloppy in their reproduction.
HIV is a virus!

Viruses are not sloppy replicators.
Quote:
When I returned to university to get additional degrees earlier this century, the term macro-evolution was used in connection with morphological changes, while micro-evolution was used for more subtle changes, for example, changes in pigmentation of skin, feathers or hair of any organism.
Well I earned my degrees in the 21st Century and just like the OP stated it was a term used long ago and far away. I've never seen or heard that term until I found the "Understand Evolution" website.

As the OP stated: A life scientist makes no such distinction, evolution is evolution, regardless of the size of the organism.

Last edited by Matadora; 03-09-2018 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Interesting. I had not heard this usage but as I mentioned, I'm a retired geezer and haven't been keeping up.
You being a retired geezer has nothing to do with it. I've never heard this term used and in fact I've never seen it used in the University or work setting. You will never find a trained scientist using that term when discussing Evolution.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:04 PM

17,049 posts, read 12,640,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
HIV is a virus!
Yes, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Viruses are not sloppy replicators.
HIV is.

When drugs against HIV do not work, it is often because the virus has become resistant to one of the drugs being used. This resistance is the result of mutations that occur in the viral genes.

Unfortunately, use of anti-HIV drugs can actually promote the reproduction of resistant virus particles. Untreated, HIV makes approximately 10 billion new virus particles every day in an infected person. But HIV does not copy its genetic material very accurately. Because of its sloppy replication, each one of these new virus particles may be different from the parent virus in one or more genes.

[emphasis mine]

https://science.education.nih.gov/su...database2.html

Old 03-10-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
When drugs against HIV do not work, it is often because the virus has become resistant to one of the drugs being used. This resistance is the result of mutations that occur in the viral genes.

Unfortunately, use of anti-HIV drugs can actually promote the reproduction of resistant virus particles. Untreated, HIV makes approximately 10 billion new virus particles every day in an infected person. But HIV does not copy its genetic material very accurately. Because of its sloppy replication, each one of these new virus particles may be different from the parent virus in one or more genes.

[emphasis mine]

https://science.education.nih.gov/su...database2.html
I have already pointed out that this is not a very scientific way of explaining things. Your link is intended for folks in grades 9-12.

Most in the US are not scientifically literate therefore using links intended for 9-12th graders might be appropriate even in the science forum. *shrug*

You can call it sloppy but it's commonly referred to as replication errors.

Mutations in HIV-1 Reverse Transcriptase Affect the Errors Made in a Single Cycle of Viral Replication

Quote:
Errors made during HIV replication underlie the development of drug resistance and the ability of the virus to develop mutations that allow it escape from the host's immune system. Thus, it is important to understand the contribution that RT makes to the errors made during HIV replication and to understand how mutations in RT affect the errors that arise during HIV replication.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:52 PM

465 posts, read 196,215 times
Viruses are constantly evolving, but so are we. And more importantly our immune systems are "evolving" every day.

One might worry that viruses and bacteria evolve so much faster than animals, that they could wipe us out any day. The thing is, they haven't obliterated us throughout the entire evolution of the animal kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or