U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2018, 12:29 PM
 
307 posts, read 199,454 times
Reputation: 180

Advertisements

I had actually gotten very excited by watching this video knowing that the technologies to enable it to happen are already in practical use today. From this link start watching from the 40 minute mark.

- Rockets already exist that can boost passengers into space.
- Reusable rockets have been landing themselves on the regular for the past 3 years.

So unlike the far-fetched ideas put forth by Elon Musk this one seems to be far more interesting. Just a fraction of support from other bigtime names in aerospace would make it mainstream.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=tdUX3ypDVwI


It's nothing short of remarkable. However, still, I'd like to get some comments, thoughts, venting, or questions on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2018, 07:35 AM
 
2,767 posts, read 1,126,330 times
Reputation: 7295
Have you considered the effect of the acceleration and deceleration needed to cover that distance in that time? I suspect it would be fine for inanimate objects but not so much for humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 09:21 AM
 
307 posts, read 199,454 times
Reputation: 180
Turf,

Well, the follow-up Q&A session would be very interesting actually. ...you definitely don't have to be a physics major to know about the human-killing g-forces involved but the acceleration thing is a popular question that's being thrown about and I bet it would be thrown at SpaceX or Elon Musk during an interview soon.

...seriously I cannot help but think of the sci-fi solution which are "inertial dampeners". I suppose this would be touted as sci-fi too if the team behind it just keeps it as theory.

I dunno. maybe he was just "floating" this too you know and just thinking out loud, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2018, 10:15 AM
 
3,802 posts, read 927,274 times
Reputation: 2894
There are other ways to move people and materials around though, doing it by 'brute force' is just the method we are used to.

There was an article in Popular Mechanics not long ago that talked about the 10 most game changing new technologies within the next 10 yrs, one of them was the ability to email/text objects (things that have mass). I assume they have been working on this in R&D labs for many years, so if this becomes reality, its the first step in a new way to move people/ objects/ materials around other than using brute force.

I dont think this is something new either, I remember learning about the Philadelphia Experiment in high school history class, there was some debate on what they were trying to achieve though, and Nikola Teslas involvement, but its clear they had knowledge of a technology that allowed physical objects and people to be transported across a distance, I can only assume they have learned more about this technology since then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2018, 02:23 PM
 
307 posts, read 199,454 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There are other ways to move people and materials around though, doing it by 'brute force' is just the method we are used to.

There was an article in Popular Mechanics not long ago that talked about the 10 most game changing new technologies within the next 10 yrs, one of them was the ability to email/text objects (things that have mass). I assume they have been working on this in R&D labs for many years, so if this becomes reality, its the first step in a new way to move people/ objects/ materials around other than using brute force.

I dont think this is something new either, I remember learning about the Philadelphia Experiment in high school history class, there was some debate on what they were trying to achieve though, and Nikola Teslas involvement, but its clear they had knowledge of a technology that allowed physical objects and people to be transported across a distance, I can only assume they have learned more about this technology since then.
If you're talking about the teleportation that has become standard procedure in many quantum physics lab around the world according to MIT Technology Review. They've teleported something from earth to a distance as far away as an orbiting satellite.

Of course being able to teleport a whole human being is probably well beyond a century away. Now the biggest mass that I know of which has been teleported is a clump of photons

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...arth-to-orbit/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 01:48 PM
 
307 posts, read 199,454 times
Reputation: 180
Default No G-force Issue of significance!

As the original poster I went and did additional research on the G-forces experienced during rocket launch by humans. I came to discover that you experience twice that many G's in a fun ride with your girlfriend at an amusement park than during a standard rocket launch, so there really is no G-force issue of significance that civilians do not already experience safely.

I mean that those big roller-coaster rides at amusement parks pull like 6 Gs, while your standard rocket launch during a space mission is like 3 Gs.

My source is below (and it pulls from dozens of other respected sources). If you have a harder, more credible, or more popular source please bring this up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 02:23 PM
 
25,541 posts, read 37,008,159 times
Reputation: 33244
Keep in mind that the SST was very limited in where it could operate. Sonic booms. Depending on the noise levels created by this method it might be a non-starter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 02:24 PM
 
25,541 posts, read 37,008,159 times
Reputation: 33244
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
As the original poster I went and did additional research on the G-forces experienced during rocket launch by humans. I came to discover that you experience twice that many G's in a fun ride with your girlfriend at an amusement park than during a standard rocket launch, so there really is no G-force issue of significance that civilians do not already experience safely.

I mean that those big roller-coaster rides at amusement parks pull like 6 Gs, while your standard rocket launch during a space mission is like 3 Gs.

My source is below (and it pulls from dozens of other respected sources). If you have a harder, more credible, or more popular source please bring this up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

Length of time for G-forces has to be taken into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 06:25 PM
 
307 posts, read 199,454 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Length of time for G-forces has to be taken into account.
When throttled modern rockets have the effect of 1G, very much the effect you get by standing on the surface at sea level....you can withstand 1-2Gs for a 40minute flight very easily.

also note that the rocket is going into sub-orbital space which does not require that much g-force compared to traditional space launch that exerts about 3G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 10:05 PM
 
3,035 posts, read 1,692,761 times
Reputation: 5158
Mmm that Elon musk fellow is burning a lot of rocket fuel to save the environment and stop global warming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top