U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 08:12 PM

5,509 posts, read 3,752,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
Skinsguy- Thank you for all your help. Blackberry Merlot you can make yourself. Mix 20% Manischewitz Blackberry wine with the Merlot of your choice. I use a box Merlot because you can dispense the amount you need and the rest does not go bad due to air exposure.

To (whomever)-Thats right I am not tech savey and English is my first language. There were no run on sentances in that paragraph.

Stanley- yes my computer has a CD Rom drive.

gguerrm- It did seem strange that no one has heard of this email.But now other people have gotten it. Is it all fishing?Maybe.

Tek Freek- I simply hate Microsoft. Bill Gates has more money than God. Evidently thats not enough.

T
That sounds tasty. I might try that this weekend!

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Honestly. I use Linux Mint on one of my laptops and I love it. I have one computer that is Windows 10, one Mac, and one with Linux Mint. I prefer it over Ubuntu, because it just seems a lot more compatible with just about any hardware setup, and with all the different flavors of Linux I've used, Mint is the easiest and probably the best for beginners. I would seriously look into getting a Live Disc of Linux Mint and trying it out. You might find it really easy to use. It only comes with Firefox (you can download other web browsers if you want), comes with LibreOffice for all fo your documents, spreadsheets, etc..

I take it that you don't do any X-Box, you don't chat or do video conferencing, or anything like that. If so, then Linux Mint right out of the box is probably all you need. The Linux world has gotten so much better for novice computer users that I think they can definitely compete with Windows and Mac. For more advanced computing, such as video editing and graphic design, I'd probably stick with OSX or Windows, but honestly, unless one is doing one or the other (or gaming), there's no need to stay within the walled garden of Microsoft or Apple.

Having said that, if you use iTunes, you won't be able to use it on Linux.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 11:56 PM

532 posts, read 262,275 times
Quote:
I posted this under Internet Although I get likes I get no answers. How about here? What do you all think?

Just about everybody got this email today about MicroSoft's new Terms of Service starting on May 1st. At the end it says "If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before these terms become effective."

How do I discontinue servive? Please explain

What if I accidently use a service, such as my live mail account, after May 1st? Should I close the email account? Will that do it? By the way, Proton mail is much better, no ads, works great.

I type my password on the wall Microsoft pictures paper to sign on to my computer? Will I still be able to sign onto my computer?

Also, what it I use Edge? Should I disable Edge?

If I use any of these things does the 'agreement' come back on?

Really, I would LOVE to get rid of microsoft! Bill Gates has more money than God and is still sneaking in ads on the pictures wallpaper. Most of these updates are about 'fees' and censorship. Maybe Bill will send an update to God about additional fees and not being able to use curse words, such a damn. Edge doesn't work that great either. The Bing search engine is slow and most people I know don't like it. In addition, Microsoft's MSN News is biased liberal drivel. Please help me get rid of Microsoft for good. Thanks
I heard the Geek Squad can fix up your computer to have Fox News instead, that should be more to your liking. My neighbor took his computer in,something about them swapping out a module in the addons.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:07 AM

6,929 posts, read 7,613,965 times
I would just take the computer off line. Almost nobody has an off line computer any longer. They want internet, and they want to use it on a PC or laptop that has all their personal info on it - photos, videos, documents, music, etc. Almost as bad as the damn smart phones with all your life on them. Nobody understands that nothing is private, if you go online with a machine that has all your personal files.

I would take the PC off line. Get a cheap tablet or laptop to surf with. This way, you present a blank face to the net. Nothing to hack, nothing important to lose. You can download photos, videos, music, documents. Just use a thumb drive to transfer to your PC, then delete on the laptop or tablet.

Learn to live without email. It's outdated anyway, and far too easy to hack. If you have a smart phone, delete all your contact info and other personal data. Get a cheap Tracfone and use it for a phone - to talk and text - no web surfing.

I can't believe how so many tech-savvy people leave themselves so wide open to hacking and spying. Keep your personal data OFF the device you use to interface with the internet. Whether you use Microsoft or not is a minor matter, by comparison!

Old 03-27-2018, 06:44 AM

5,509 posts, read 3,752,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I would just take the computer off line. Almost nobody has an off line computer any longer. They want internet, and they want to use it on a PC or laptop that has all their personal info on it - photos, videos, documents, music, etc. Almost as bad as the damn smart phones with all your life on them. Nobody understands that nothing is private, if you go online with a machine that has all your personal files.

I would take the PC off line. Get a cheap tablet or laptop to surf with. This way, you present a blank face to the net. Nothing to hack, nothing important to lose. You can download photos, videos, music, documents. Just use a thumb drive to transfer to your PC, then delete on the laptop or tablet.

Learn to live without email. It's outdated anyway, and far too easy to hack. If you have a smart phone, delete all your contact info and other personal data. Get a cheap Tracfone and use it for a phone - to talk and text - no web surfing.

I can't believe how so many tech-savvy people leave themselves so wide open to hacking and spying. Keep your personal data OFF the device you use to interface with the internet. Whether you use Microsoft or not is a minor matter, by comparison!
Heck, just send mail via snail mail and go back to rotary dial!

I think it's hilarious that people seem a bit self-righteous as to scold "tech-savvy" people and their habits with the internet. For one thing, the OP has admitted to not being tech-savvy. The second thing is, tech-savvy people understand the risks of the internet, and know the likelihood of their info getting stolen, based on their knowledge of security. Most of us who work in the field understand the risks and security measures and kind of laugh at those who wear their tin foil hats a little too tightly. We understand encryption and strength of password. And in the end, we also understand that one can take all security measures and still be at risk. Just like getting into your car each day to drive to work. You're always taking a risk no matter how safe you may drive, you can't control the driving abilities and habits of others on the road.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:11 AM

64 posts, read 31,087 times
I hated dealing with Windows/Microsoft so went out and purchased a Google Chromebook and found that they are just as bad, if not worse, than Windows/Microsoft. I've come to the conclusion that, if you want to be online, you have to suffer the consequences. Sad, but true.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:26 AM

213 posts, read 60,110 times
Using Linux: Doesn't it not work with some software one might have and use that is made for Windows?
And aren't options for software less with Linux?

Old 03-27-2018, 12:05 PM

4,013 posts, read 3,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Using Linux: Doesn't it not work with some software one might have and use that is made for Windows?
And aren't options for software less with Linux?
It won't work with a LOT of software a former Windows or Mac user has used in the past, and the alternatives that are available for Linux in my experience are often harder to use than their Windows or OS X equivalents. It remains largely an operating system for tech heads. For example: LibreOffice is just as good in my opinion as MS Office, and is free. However, for photo manipulation, GIMP has a much higher learning curve and in my opinion an inferior interface to something like Photoshop Elements or (on the Mac) Pixelmator or GraphicConverter.

So for someone who wants to switch to Linux, I suggest figuring out which applications you must have and finding the equivalents for Linux. Evaluate them and decide if they're fit for your purpose. If there's a program you absolutely have to have and there's no Linux equivalent, you'll have a hard decision to make. Be prepared for a serious learning curve in making the switch - if you're easily frustrated by learning new things, you need to factor that into your decision.

The other factor to consider is support: if you're used to going to a Genius Bar with your Mac or a service like Geek Squad with your Windows machine, you're going to have to find another way to get help with problems. You may need to rely on a Linux user group in your area for support - or find support online (which could be challenging if you can't get onto your computer).

Old 03-27-2018, 02:55 PM

10,762 posts, read 12,788,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Shortened for brevity...
Yep.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:09 PM

426 posts, read 141,831 times
Hi Nor'Eastah! Good to see you. Brilliant advice. I don't even have a smartphone, I have a cheap trac phone. I'm practically a Ludite.

Email? I'd like to send messages by carrier pigeon but all your contacts have to keep pigeons too. Thats because you trade pigeons, keep them in your loft. When you want to send a message, you tie it to the pigeon' leg, toss them and let them fly home. The person sends the answer via the pigeon you gave them. Its really fun. They can be hundreds of miles away.

I keep the chapters of the book I'm writing in the 'cloud' by storing it in an email account that MS owns. Thats in case something happens to my laptop I can get it back. I plan to transfer the book file to encrypted protonmail and close the livemail account and never use Edge or Bing again. I have a google chrome account to look at Google Earth and surf for information but I delete the cookie so I won't be followed endlessly by ads. I know windows system works well and Bill Gates gives away $ but its just all the Microsoft buttInSki ads that are filtering in unwanted and unlooked for. I don't want to see any SIGN of microsoft. I use a proxy server (wink) and don't have any of my bank account info in my computer. But I do have a piece of duct tape over my laptop camera.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:16 PM

4,008 posts, read 1,122,929 times
Quote:
I posted this under Internet Although I get likes I get no answers. How about here? What do you all think?

Just about everybody got this email today about MicroSoft's new Terms of Service starting on May 1st. At the end it says "If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before these terms become effective."

How do I discontinue servive? Please explain

What if I accidently use a service, such as my live mail account, after May 1st? Should I close the email account? Will that do it? By the way, Proton mail is much better, no ads, works great.

I type my password on the wall Microsoft pictures paper to sign on to my computer? Will I still be able to sign onto my computer?

Also, what it I use Edge? Should I disable Edge?

If I use any of these things does the 'agreement' come back on?

Really, I would LOVE to get rid of microsoft! Bill Gates has more money than God and is still sneaking in ads on the pictures wallpaper. Most of these updates are about 'fees' and censorship. Maybe Bill will send an update to God about additional fees and not being able to use curse words, such a damn. Edge doesn't work that great either. The Bing search engine is slow and most people I know don't like it. In addition, Microsoft's MSN News is biased liberal drivel. Please help me get rid of Microsoft for good. Thanks

This was my middle finger to Micro$loth.

Ubuntu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or