U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 09:53 AM

1,827 posts, read 290,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
If you don't want to buy a new computer, then the only way to "get rid of Microsoft on my computer" is to move to open source operating systems, like Red Hat. But if you do that, you'll have to get a lot more computer-savvy. Which I am not, so don't ask me how to do that or which open source system is better.
One of the Linux systems is a good way to go, and is often pain free (especially with the help of forums).

But for those who do not understand the system, when it does hurt it can be very painful.

I prefer Ubuntu over Red Hat, but both are well supported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I will caution you that Apple, in its own way, can be just as annoying and intrusive as Microsoft. I've been a Mac fan for years, and don't see myself ever changing, but make no mistake, both Apple and Microsoft want to rule the world, and that means ruling you.
Apple are getting more annoying as they appear to be aiming towards a 'fun experience' rather than helping those who use a Mac for work. I'd ask my wife what exactly were her problems with her new Mac, but thinking back to the 5 days of hell, I would rather not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Forget about it ; you are being phished. Nobody else got that email.
I did, on the 19th of this month. A link in the email takes me to the Microsoft website, so I don't think it's phishing.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:32 PM

26,083 posts, read 37,464,224 times
Love the screen name. Hairy Diogenes would have been cool, too.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Love the screen name. Hairy Diogenes would have been cool, too.

Harry is a nickname because my mother can not say 'hairy' correctly. She is Greek, but lived in Germany with my father until his death. She then moved to north England with her new husband, and speaks English with a strange accent. When I grew a beard, she thought I was too 'Harry', and the nickname stuck.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:37 PM

26,083 posts, read 37,464,224 times
LOL! Your mom sounds like a cool lady.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:55 PM

1,369 posts, read 696,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I would just take the computer off line. Almost nobody has an off line computer any longer. They want internet, and they want to use it on a PC or laptop that has all their personal info on it - photos, videos, documents, music, etc. Almost as bad as the damn smart phones with all your life on them. Nobody understands that nothing is private, if you go online with a machine that has all your personal files.

I would take the PC off line. Get a cheap tablet or laptop to surf with. This way, you present a blank face to the net. Nothing to hack, nothing important to lose. You can download photos, videos, music, documents. Just use a thumb drive to transfer to your PC, then delete on the laptop or tablet.

Learn to live without email. It's outdated anyway, and far too easy to hack. If you have a smart phone, delete all your contact info and other personal data. Get a cheap Tracfone and use it for a phone - to talk and text - no web surfing.

I can't believe how so many tech-savvy people leave themselves so wide open to hacking and spying. Keep your personal data OFF the device you use to interface with the internet. Whether you use Microsoft or not is a minor matter, by comparison!
I was planning to set up my next desktop computer to be offline. Remove the network card if possible. For pictures, documents and other things, it doesn't need to be online. It's hard to avoid the Internet altogether, but you can limit the connected devices in your house, or at least use one computer that isn't connected to the world.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:27 PM

2,536 posts, read 1,754,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I was planning to set up my next desktop computer to be offline. Remove the network card if possible. For pictures, documents and other things, it doesn't need to be online. It's hard to avoid the Internet altogether, but you can limit the connected devices in your house, or at least use one computer that isn't connected to the world.
You can still network your PC's without giving them internet access. All you have to do is remove the default gateway from network settings.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:02 PM

10,542 posts, read 12,587,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Remove the network card if possible.
They don't use cards anymore. It's just a port on the motherboard now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You can still network your PC's without giving them internet access. All you have to do is remove the default gateway from network settings.
Or don't plug a network cable into it... voila: no internet.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:50 PM

2,536 posts, read 1,754,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Or don't plug a network cable into it... voila: no internet.
As I stated, if you want to network your PCs and take them off the internet, remove the gateway.

By networking I mean share files, printers etc. Probably not something the OP wants or needs but this is FYI anyway for anybody else.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:44 AM

10,542 posts, read 12,587,840 times
He didn't ask about networking though, bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or