U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:30 AM

3,703 posts, read 1,753,405 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of options.

You can uses windows 7 forever with no support - just keep it. You can DL a binary so you can reinstall it should your computer fail or you can ride the steep learning curve and learn Linix (free)

You can get plenty of alternate mail services - just google some (I use yahoo although they have their own issues)

Plenty of browers out there too. Never used edge on purpose (w10 defaults to it for some things). I use Mozilla - works very nicely.

If you really want anonymity you can use Duck Duck go as a search engine along with a VPN utility - plenty of those too.

All these and others are yours to discover out there in the wilds of the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 09:24 AM

504 posts, read 160,618 times
A Windows package could be in for the life of the drive. I install new Linux at least once a year. I stopped keeping files on the laptop drive after several rounds of moving them out and back at each install. That's 2 external drives, for files and backup files.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:09 PM

14,290 posts, read 16,119,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Bing is owned by Microsoft, and at the ixquick site it says, "enhanced by Google."
Wow, how do we get away from those two?
I had one laptop redone with that particular version. I couldn't stand Bing. I didn't want pictures and stuff I had no interest popping up and crowding out what I was interested in.

Right now, I'm running the current softwar, but not using Google. I clicked on this one picture of this dress, and suddenly everything I looked at had that picture plastered on it. It also blocked firefox, and dumped all my saved locations. I know its not as 'secure' but geesh, I'd really like to be 'secure' from the every seeing reach of google, and still be able to enjoy my system. I do, not happily use it for purchases, but not other more 'normal' stuff.

And NO FACEBOOK, or the like. I looked at the first page once. If I couldn't do a simple search for people into science fiction fandom in Oklahoma, and others who are pagan.... I'd LOVE to look up old lost friends, but don't wish to be digitized in exchange. If I could give very minimal info and use a user name like we did back with early nets, yeah. I've been nightbird online forever. Its sufficent UNLESS I choose to say more.

I'd like a 'retro' home sized computer where all the super whizbang stuff is available but only if you ask and agree, but if you don't want that, then there is a perfectly good operating system which can be as 'advanced' and 'cool' as YOU the user choose. I'd get one.
I wish there was an os which was NOT flashy pitcures and interconnected with the world as an assumption, but would allow you to link to systems or images or sources if you chose to, and not if you say no.

I've found that I mostly go to the same short list of places with no shiny things and do text editing on my stories on word perfect, and most of the music is loaded on from disc or download, but it doesn't take off in some musical direction it thinks you want to go.

It's also an older laptop and I bet if someone made new older style laptops they'd do very well. I still haven't figured out some of the aps on my phone, but then I got it to take picutres and make phone calls and occasionally listen to music. I'd be perfectly happy if it was a stupid cell phone like I used to have which gave me the ability to do that but never went off into crap I had no desire for.

Last edited by nightbird47; 04-12-2018 at 07:20 PM..

Old 04-12-2018, 09:31 PM

25,540 posts, read 37,001,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I had one laptop redone with that particular version. I couldn't stand Bing. I didn't want pictures and stuff I had no interest popping up and crowding out what I was interested in.

Right now, I'm running the current softwar, but not using Google. I clicked on this one picture of this dress, and suddenly everything I looked at had that picture plastered on it. It also blocked firefox, and dumped all my saved locations. I know its not as 'secure' but geesh, I'd really like to be 'secure' from the every seeing reach of google, and still be able to enjoy my system. I do, not happily use it for purchases, but not other more 'normal' stuff.

And NO FACEBOOK, or the like. I looked at the first page once. If I couldn't do a simple search for people into science fiction fandom in Oklahoma, and others who are pagan.... I'd LOVE to look up old lost friends, but don't wish to be digitized in exchange. If I could give very minimal info and use a user name like we did back with early nets, yeah. I've been nightbird online forever. Its sufficent UNLESS I choose to say more.

I'd like a 'retro' home sized computer where all the super whizbang stuff is available but only if you ask and agree, but if you don't want that, then there is a perfectly good operating system which can be as 'advanced' and 'cool' as YOU the user choose. I'd get one.
I wish there was an os which was NOT flashy pitcures and interconnected with the world as an assumption, but would allow you to link to systems or images or sources if you chose to, and not if you say no.

I've found that I mostly go to the same short list of places with no shiny things and do text editing on my stories on word perfect, and most of the music is loaded on from disc or download, but it doesn't take off in some musical direction it thinks you want to go.

It's also an older laptop and I bet if someone made new older style laptops they'd do very well. I still haven't figured out some of the aps on my phone, but then I got it to take picutres and make phone calls and occasionally listen to music. I'd be perfectly happy if it was a stupid cell phone like I used to have which gave me the ability to do that but never went off into crap I had no desire for.
For all those pictures install Adblock Plus from the add-ons menu. For a lot of other crap install Ghostery from the add-ons menu. Both options in your browser settings menus somewhere. You need to go into the settings/options/add-ons menu depending on what browser you use. Find the add-ons area and search for each of those. They will stop a whole lot of that garbage you so tired of seeing.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:33 PM

10,309 posts, read 8,039,722 times
Install Linux Mint...you will like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or