U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2018, 05:40 PM
 
426 posts, read 143,452 times
Reputation: 1349

Advertisements

I posted this under Internet Although I get likes I get no answers. How about here? What do you all think?

Just about everybody got this email today about MicroSoft's new Terms of Service starting on May 1st. At the end it says "If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before these terms become effective."

How do I discontinue servive? Please explain



What if I accidently use a service, such as my live mail account, after May 1st? Should I close the email account? Will that do it? By the way, Proton mail is much better, no ads, works great.

I type my password on the wall Microsoft pictures paper to sign on to my computer? Will I still be able to sign onto my computer?

Also, what it I use Edge? Should I disable Edge?

If I use any of these things does the 'agreement' come back on?


Really, I would LOVE to get rid of microsoft! Bill Gates has more money than God and is still sneaking in ads on the pictures wallpaper. Most of these updates are about 'fees' and censorship. Maybe Bill will send an update to God about additional fees and not being able to use curse words, such a damn. Edge doesn't work that great either. The Bing search engine is slow and most people I know don't like it. In addition, Microsoft's MSN News is biased liberal drivel. Please help me get rid of Microsoft for good. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2018, 06:21 PM
 
1,511 posts, read 765,092 times
Reputation: 2560
I would like to know some answers to all the questions, too. My most basic one would be......if I'm using a Windows OS I'm still using Microsoft, am I not, and will still be subject to the new rules, won't I? There are many non-MS browsers and mail clients but how many non-MS operating systems are there? Not that many, are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2018, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
16,117 posts, read 7,059,743 times
Reputation: 9132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
I would like to know some answers to all the questions, too. My most basic one would be......if I'm using a Windows OS I'm still using Microsoft, am I not, and will still be subject to the new rules, won't I? There are many non-MS browsers and mail clients but how many non-MS operating systems are there? Not that many, are there?
1) Apple - buying a Mac is the easiest way to "get rid of Microsoft on my computer". Microsoft does make quite a bit of software for the Mac, but it is easier to avoid them on the Mac.

2) Yes, Windows is Microsoft. If you don't want to buy a new computer, then the only way to "get rid of Microsoft on my computer" is to move to open source operating systems, like Red Hat. But if you do that, you'll have to get a lot more computer-savvy. Which I am not, so don't ask me how to do that or which open source system is better.

I will caution you that Apple, in its own way, can be just as annoying and intrusive as Microsoft. I've been a Mac fan for years, and don't see myself ever changing, but make no mistake, both Apple and Microsoft want to rule the world, and that means ruling you.

This might give you a way to start thinking about this - https://www.howtogeek.com/190217/10-...u-can-install/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2018, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Maryland
774 posts, read 226,289 times
Reputation: 1790
I got really ticked off several years ago and I did a search for everything I could find on my computer that had Microsoft associated with it and trashed them all. I have never missed anything Microsoft since.

I use Apache OpenOffice for anything like that I need, plus it’s free. There are plenty of good browsers available. I’m just about ready to dump all my photo software because they’re forcing me to use the “cloud”. Screw the cloud. I want my personal stuff under my control. I’ll be using some freeware and shareware programs for any photo editing I need...my cameras come with some editing software too. For archiving, I’ll just use folders on my hard drives (backups on external drives, blu-ray and m-discs).

For email, if you want to save everything, download a copy of, for example, Thunderbird from Mozilla. It’s an e-mail client and can connect to multiple e-mail accounts and give you a single interface to them all. Best of all, you can tell it to set up a local archive of all your email, so it’s not off in the void somewhere. I did that before I dumped my Verizon account and I have copies, on my computer, of everything sent and received on that email account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2018, 11:17 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,953 posts, read 1,926,262 times
Reputation: 2436
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
I posted this under Internet Although I get likes I get no answers. How about here? What do you all think?

Just about everybody got this email today about MicroSoft's new Terms of Service starting on May 1st. At the end it says "If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before these terms become effective."

How do I discontinue servive? Please explain



What if I accidently use a service, such as my live mail account, after May 1st? Should I close the email account? Will that do it? By the way, Proton mail is much better, no ads, works great.

I type my password on the wall Microsoft pictures paper to sign on to my computer? Will I still be able to sign onto my computer?

Also, what it I use Edge? Should I disable Edge?

If I use any of these things does the 'agreement' come back on?


Really, I would LOVE to get rid of microsoft! Bill Gates has more money than God and is still sneaking in ads on the pictures wallpaper. Most of these updates are about 'fees' and censorship. Maybe Bill will send an update to God about additional fees and not being able to use curse words, such a damn. Edge doesn't work that great either. The Bing search engine is slow and most people I know don't like it. In addition, Microsoft's MSN News is biased liberal drivel. Please help me get rid of Microsoft for good. Thanks
i'm not a windows user so a lot of these terms are foreign to me. sorry to sound dumb/offensive but is the bolded names of software; the sentences seem to be typos/run-ons (particularly the part in purple) ?; is english your 2nd language ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
1) Apple - buying a Mac is the easiest way to "get rid of Microsoft on my computer". Microsoft does make quite a bit of software for the Mac, but it is easier to avoid them on the Mac.

2) Yes, Windows is Microsoft. If you don't want to buy a new computer, then the only way to "get rid of Microsoft on my computer" is to move to open source operating systems, like Red Hat. But if you do that, you'll have to get a lot more computer-savvy. Which I am not, so don't ask me how to do that or which open source system is better.

I will caution you that Apple, in its own way, can be just as annoying and intrusive as Microsoft. I've been a Mac fan for years, and don't see myself ever changing, but make no mistake, both Apple and Microsoft want to rule the world, and that means ruling you.

This might give you a way to start thinking about this - https://www.howtogeek.com/190217/10-...u-can-install/
i would caution against using red-hat which primarily has corporate users which i beleive the license costs thousands of dollars.

i use fedora linux which worx well since most software either is maintained via the software repository or runs on the cloud so p.c. platforms dont matter much anymore (there is a bigger shift on mobile/tablet platform dependence -- android, cyanogenmod, ios, fire, ...).

and, no. you dont need to be a software engineer in order to use gnu/linux:
How do I fix Win 7 locked Admin account ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2018, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Oak Ridge, NC
5,529 posts, read 3,777,701 times
Reputation: 3531
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
I posted this under Internet Although I get likes I get no answers. How about here? What do you all think?

Just about everybody got this email today about MicroSoft's new Terms of Service starting on May 1st. At the end it says "If you do not agree, you can choose to discontinue using the products and services, and close your Microsoft account before these terms become effective."

How do I discontinue servive? Please explain



What if I accidently use a service, such as my live mail account, after May 1st? Should I close the email account? Will that do it? By the way, Proton mail is much better, no ads, works great.

I type my password on the wall Microsoft pictures paper to sign on to my computer? Will I still be able to sign onto my computer?

Also, what it I use Edge? Should I disable Edge?

If I use any of these things does the 'agreement' come back on?


Really, I would LOVE to get rid of microsoft! Bill Gates has more money than God and is still sneaking in ads on the pictures wallpaper. Most of these updates are about 'fees' and censorship. Maybe Bill will send an update to God about additional fees and not being able to use curse words, such a damn. Edge doesn't work that great either. The Bing search engine is slow and most people I know don't like it. In addition, Microsoft's MSN News is biased liberal drivel. Please help me get rid of Microsoft for good. Thanks
First of all, blackberry merlot sounds absolutely delicious! Secondly, can you explain what the the TOS said? If you're worried about using your Live account, you can simply just close the account. The following will walk you through with closing your Microsoft email account:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-close-account

Only reason why Microsoft asks you to put in your Microsoft account when you're setting up Windows 10 on your computer is so that when you log in, you're already connected to all of your Microsoft applications that you may be running on your computer. However, there has always been an option of creating a local account (non-microsoft account) to log into your Windows 8 or Windows 10 computer. You should still be able to log into your computer after closing your Microsoft account, you just wouldn't be able to use some of the apps that you probably don't use anyway. But, just to be on the safe side, you can always go in and create another local account on your computer. Just go to your control panel, go to user accounts, and create a new local account. The local account is not associated with Microsoft.

You can't disable Edge or Internet Explorer. Just go and download Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox web browser. I believe both default to using Google as the search engine. You can change that to anything else you like. If you're worried about security and tracking, use this search engine: https://www.ixquick.com/. ixquick is sort of like using Google, except no tracking. You can also make it the default search in Mozilla Firefox. Maybe in Google Chrome as well.

Now, if you're wanting to get rid of Microsoft altogether, switch to Linux. You don't need to go out and get an Apple computer - that is the most expensive way to avoid Microsoft, and really, it's the same deal with Apple as it is with Microsoft. The best Linux OS for beginners is Linux Mint. It installs on just about any computer you throw at it. You can download it for free, burn it to a DVD and you can boot your computer using the burned Disc to try out a "live" version of Linux Mint before you install it. Most all Linux distributions do this, but the great thing about the Live CD is that you don't have to install anything, the OS is fully functional straight off of the DVD. If you don't know how to burn the image to a disc, you have an option to purchase it on CD/DVD. It's about $6 if you want to go this route. https://linuxmint.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2018, 12:24 PM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,953 posts, read 1,926,262 times
Reputation: 2436
^ +1; since most p.c.'s dont have cd-rom drives anymore, a live-usb would be more practical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2018, 12:39 PM
 
Location: McAllen, TX
2,880 posts, read 1,914,072 times
Reputation: 3467
OP has not checked back. By the sounds of it, the email he/she is talking about is probably a phishing scam.

If you are listening OP, look at the email more closely. We are in March, so the May 1 date doesn't seem right. I have a Microsoft account (hotmail) and I've yet to get any email from them and even if I did, I don't expect them to change much. I do not use an MS account to login to windows. Check the email again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2018, 01:55 PM
 
26,812 posts, read 38,068,160 times
Reputation: 34737
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
OP has not checked back. By the sounds of it, the email he/she is talking about is probably a phishing scam.

If you are listening OP, look at the email more closely. We are in March, so the May 1 date doesn't seem right. I have a Microsoft account (hotmail) and I've yet to get any email from them and even if I did, I don't expect them to change much. I do not use an MS account to login to windows. Check the email again.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/serv...oming-faq.aspx

I did not see any changes that are more worrisome than what the terms state now. The OP is overreacting. Being paranoid now is waaaay too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2018, 04:20 PM
 
Location: SF, CA
1,017 posts, read 429,977 times
Reputation: 1443
Default searching for a search engine...

Bing is owned by Microsoft, and at the ixquick site it says, "enhanced by Google."
Wow, how do we get away from those two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 AM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top