U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 06:07 PM
SFX SFX started this thread

729 posts, read 306,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
One team had expected to find that the bile duct is surrounded by a hard, dense wall of tissue. But instead, they saw weird, unexplained patterns. They took their findings to Neil Theise, a pathologist at New York University School of Medicine.

Shock absorbers
When Theise used the same endomicroscopy device to look under the skin of his own nose, he saw a similar result. Further investigation of other organs suggested that these patterns are made by a type of fluid moving through channels that are everywhere in the body.

Theise reckons that every tissue in the body may be surrounded by a network of these channels, which essentially form an organ. The team estimate that the organ contains around a fifth of the total fluid volume of the human body. We think they act as shock absorbers, says Theise.

This organ was likely never seen before because standard approaches for processing and visualising human tissue causes the channels to drain, and the collagen fibres that give the network its structure to collapse in on themselves. This would have made the channels appear like a hard wall of dense protective tissue, instead of a fluid-filled cushion.
https://www.newscientist.com/article...ancer-spreads/

Mind blowing actually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 01:54 PM

9,994 posts, read 4,136,045 times
Here is the actual paper.

Structure and Distribution of an Unrecognized Interstitium in Human Tissues

Quote:
Advances in in-vivo microscopy offer the potential to identify new, functionally-relevant anatomical structures in humans.
Why is this mind blowing to you?

Keep in mind that as new and better technology becomes available (which is a continuous process), this will result in new scientific discoveries. This has been the trend in science for the past 100 years.

It's certainly a cool discovery but not really mind blowing.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:11 PM

426 posts, read 144,203 times
What is cool to some is mindblowing to others.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:12 PM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
I find it difficult to categorize it as a "new organ". It sounds like just a previously undescribed part of the lymphatic system to me.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:53 PM

Or maybe just undiscovered tubes in the Areolar tissue.

Of course if they are claiming it's something new, it just might be.
Quote:
We and others have observed that, in the extrahepatic bile ducts and pancreatic ducts, pCLE at the fixed focal length of 60–70 μm shows a submucosal “reticular pattern” (Fig. 1A,B) consisting of 20 μm wide dark branching bands surrounding large, fluorescein-filled polygonal spaces3. These have no obvious correlate to known structures.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-23062-6
The world is still full of unknown things, and it seems our own bodies as well.

Old 03-28-2018, 03:25 PM

9,994 posts, read 4,136,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I find it difficult to categorize it as a "new organ". It sounds like just a previously undescribed part of the lymphatic system to me.

This is why it's always best to go directly to the actual paper vs. reading what online science news websites state. I have almost never seen a new scientific discovery accurately portrayed in science news websites.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

This is why it's always best to go directly to the actual paper vs. reading what online science news websites state. I have almost never seen a new scientific discovery accurately portrayed in science news websites.
I've never seen an event accurately reported in a newspaper.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:04 AM

16,836 posts, read 51,286,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFX View Post
I've never seen an event accurately reported in a newspaper.
Must be those Tennessee newspapers. In Alabama just about all the obituaries are reported accurately. I can understand your concern if dead people keep showing up or your friends are declared dead before their time, which must be the case if your statement is accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or