U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2018, 06:04 AM
 
2,454 posts, read 2,695,128 times
Reputation: 1089

Advertisements

In science, we have "mass" defined as how much matter is in something and "matter" is something you can touch. Then we turn to Higgs field and read that "mass" is energy. Or, as one definition put it: "Mass" is equivalent to energy. Not 100% the same thing but good enough.


Do we have two completely different definitions here, each used in a separate "world": classic physics or quantum mechanics?


Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2018, 02:35 PM
 
3,387 posts, read 1,401,528 times
Reputation: 9111
https://www.amazon.com/Physics-Witho.../dp/013674317X
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2018, 03:01 PM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
1,535 posts, read 580,716 times
Reputation: 2963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post

Do we have two completely different definitions here, each used in a separate "world": classic physics or quantum mechanics?


Thank you.

They are not mutually exclusive definitions-- they're as you say- used according to the scope of the discussion.


I like to think of matter as "organized energy," and waves/photons as "dispersed energy."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 03:08 AM
 
2,454 posts, read 2,695,128 times
Reputation: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
They are not mutually exclusive definitions-- they're as you say- used according to the scope of the discussion.


I like to think of matter as "organized energy," and waves/photons as "dispersed energy."

Ah, thank you. Matter = organized energy. That will fix it in my mind. I do appreciate that.



Happy Holiday. hazelm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 06:44 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
1,535 posts, read 580,716 times
Reputation: 2963
Prego, Hazel.


Another simplification you may find useful, re- the wave/particle duality-- the wave nature of energy is like the tote board odds (probabilities) before the horse race. Once the race has been run, you know the winner and probabilities no longer mean anything (photon has been localized).


But here's a physics question maybe you can help me with-- I need to go on a diet-- if I mix pasta and antipasta on the same plate, will they annihilate each other and I can eat as much as I want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 06:59 AM
 
2,454 posts, read 2,695,128 times
Reputation: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Prego, Hazel.


Another simplification you may find useful, re- the wave/particle duality-- the wave nature of energy is like the tote board odds (probabilities) before the horse race. Once the race has been run, you know the winner and probabilities no longer mean anything (photon has been localized).


But here's a physics question maybe you can help me with-- I need to go on a diet-- if I mix pasta and antipasta on the same plate, will they annihilate each other and I can eat as much as I want?

Only if the pasta is hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 08:03 AM
 
5,603 posts, read 2,929,859 times
Reputation: 14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
...
But here's a physics question maybe you can help me with-- I need to go on a diet-- if I mix pasta and antipasta on the same plate, will they annihilate each other and I can eat as much as I want?
Yes, but the mutual annihilation takes place in the stomach then you have containment issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 08:13 AM
 
2,454 posts, read 2,695,128 times
Reputation: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes, but the mutual annihilation takes place in the stomach then you have containment issues.

but you've had the please of eating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2018, 03:33 PM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
1,535 posts, read 580,716 times
Reputation: 2963
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yes, but the mutual annihilation takes place in the stomach then you have containment issues.

Good one. I really did LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2018, 08:25 AM
 
20,141 posts, read 15,463,555 times
Reputation: 7291
Hi Hazel. You might enjoy this explanation by astrophysicist Matt ODowd of the true nature of matter and mass in which he explains how the Higgs field gives elementary particles mass by giving them intertia or resistance to acceleration and prevents them from traveling at the speed of light.


The True Nature of Matter and Mass | Space Time | PBS Digital Studios


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSKzgpt4HBU

I really like this Space Time series by PBS Digital Studios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top