U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 10:57 AM

857 posts, read 642,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’m not sure why anyone would want to do so, scientist or not. The idea has zero appeal to me.

Frying my brain with bath salts has no appeal to me... and yet many do it.

I can see the appeal of cloning a human. Imagine releasing an Einstein, Newton, Washington, Bonaparte, Luther, Galileo or the likes into society (unbeknownst to society or the clone, of course). It'd certainly be interesting to see whether their genius was so universal that they could rise above their original time and circumstances or whether it was simply a combination of undoubted intelligence coupled with fortuitous circumstances. You can't say your mad scientist that lives in all of us isn't the slightest bit curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 11:55 AM

608 posts, read 280,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Does a cloned being retain the memories and experiences of it's original or does it start out as a blank page?
Oh come on, a cloned human starts as a infant, poops in a diaper for a while, and then has to be raised and civilized like any other child until they reach maturity.

These threads are almost as nave and ridiculous as the "AI" discussions on CD.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:04 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,577,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
...a cloned human starts as a infant, poops in a diaper for a while, and then has to be raised and civilized like any other child until they reach maturity.
Then what would be the point of cloning humans?

They may be genetically identical, but would grow up to be an entirely different person.

The original may be a genius, but the clone could grow up to be an idiot.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:13 PM

3,902 posts, read 1,471,959 times
Anyone suggesting that cloning 99-100% of someone's DNA is possible? Does anyone that delusional and laughable want to step forward?

Even if it was possible - LMAO - what makes a "scientist" so special and hot-stuff for the assignment?

Old 07-13-2018, 01:03 AM

7,129 posts, read 5,942,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
A clone would not be the same thing as a twin, triplet, etc. Yes I do believe that is how clones would be used.
They would have the same rights as any other human being. We're not going to treat sentient beings as slaves, at least not in developed countries. We'll have robots for that, at least until they turn on us and destroy our species, which is actually a very real possibility if we are not careful.

If you enjoy movies on this subject, a movie that was surprisingly ahead of it's time "The 6th Day" is one that I enjoy. I could see this as some day being how it works. If the tech is developed the rich will use it first and it will gradually trickle down.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:50 AM

6,149 posts, read 1,497,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Anyone suggesting that cloning 99-100% of someone's DNA is possible? Does anyone that delusional and laughable want to step forward?

Even if it was possible - LMAO - what makes a "scientist" so special and hot-stuff for the assignment?
Well, considering they saw the need to create laws against such a thing, they must have had good reason to do that, in other words, if there is no threat of someone doing this thing, there would be no reason to even create a law against it...it would sort of be like creating a law against humans sprouting wings and flying, its not possible to begin with...so no need to create a law banning it.

Laws are created when there is a problem, some threat that is probable.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:59 AM

3,923 posts, read 2,725,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, considering they saw the need to create laws against such a thing, they must have had good reason to do that, in other words, if there is no threat of someone doing this thing, there would be no reason to even create a law against it...it would sort of be like creating a law against humans sprouting wings and flying, its not possible to begin with...so no need to create a law banning it.

Laws are created when there is a problem, some threat that is probable.
Reproductive cloning is a very inefficient technique and most cloned animal embryos cannot develop into healthy individuals. For instance, Dolly was the only clone to be born live out of a total of 277 cloned embryos. This very low efficiency, combined with safety concerns, presents a serious obstacle to the application of reproductive cloning.
Researchers have observed some adverse health effects in sheep and other mammals that have been cloned. These include an increase in birth size and a variety of defects in vital organs, such as the liver, brain and heart. Other consequences include premature aging and problems with the immune system. Another potential problem centers on the relative age of the cloned cell's chromosomes. As cells go through their normal rounds of division, the tips of the chromosomes, called telomeres, shrink. Over time, the telomeres become so short that the cell can no longer divide and, consequently, the cell dies. This is part of the natural aging process that seems to happen in all cell types. As a consequence, clones created from a cell taken from an adult might have chromosomes that are already shorter than normal, which may condemn the clones' cells to a shorter life span. Indeed, Dolly, who was cloned from the cell of a 6-year-old sheep, had chromosomes that were shorter than those of other sheep her age. Dolly died when she was six years old, about half the average sheep's 12-year lifespan
.https://www.genome.gov/25020028/cloning-fact-sheet/

Old 07-16-2018, 10:04 AM

5,531 posts, read 3,791,158 times
Well, I don't ever like the idea of someone playing God and creating humans in a laboratory. On the other hand, let's have fun with this. Could you imagine scientists recreating certain celebrities? Actors? Actresses? Or, pro athletes? Or musical artists? Hollywood, after all, has dabbled in CGI where they can make the actor or actress appear much younger. The sequel to Tron comes to mind, as well as Rogue One (with Princess Leia.) Think of it like this. Imagine being able to hear new music from the younger Beatles again, or from clones of your favorite artist or band that has kind of aged out. I imagine it would be tough for that celebrity - unless they got certain rights or a % of payment from the work that the clones do. They could, essentially, sit back and retire to some far off island while seeing their clones continue their work. Sounds creepy and fantastic all at the same time.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 AM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
777 posts, read 224,082 times
I want to see a woolly mammoth in a zoo. Supposedly the few intact preserved specimens have enough intact DNA that it might be feasible. DNA transfer to elephant egg and sperm cells, implanted into surrogate-mother elephant wherein it matures to full term. Who knows, might well happen within my lifetime.

Quote:
Just read that a dog has been cloned 49 times:

World's most cloned dog 'Miracle Milly' has been copied 49 times

Great. 49 more yappy little ankle-biters. Just what the world needs. :facepalm:

Old 07-16-2018, 12:33 PM

6,149 posts, read 1,497,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I want to see a woolly mammoth in a zoo. Supposedly the few intact preserved specimens have enough intact DNA that it might be feasible. DNA transfer to elephant egg and sperm cells, implanted into surrogate-mother elephant wherein it matures to full term. Who knows, might well happen within my lifetime.

Great. 49 more yappy little ankle-biters. Just what the world needs. :facepalm:
I read something recently about cloning dinosaurs, some say it would easier to manipulate the DNA of a large bird species, and eventually they would get 'something' that is basically a dinosaur, it wouldnt really be a cloned dinosaur, but it would be a living thing that looks exactly like one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or