Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 10:16 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times

Advertisements

The problem with these is that they let very little light in.

I am wondering if some clever guy on here can suggest a design for pair of pinhole glasses which allow more light into the eye. With todays technology, we should be able to update the old plastic ones and produce something which works much better.

As I understand it, pinhole glasses work and give us better focus due to using a small bunch of light rays which come from the middle of the image to the middle of our eye. The rays farther out which cannot be focused by our faulty eye are blocked off by the material around the pinhole.

I have a pair and they definitely make my eyesight better but they severely cut down on the light due to the plastic between the holes blocking out the some of the rays. I was thinking that if we could make the holes smaller (or larger?) and the surrounding material less, then the light entering the eye might be greater. My pinhole glasses are years old so perhaps with todays technology the principle could be used to produce a much better product.

There are a number of instructables which address this issue but this one suggests using a slit instead of a pinhole which apparently the Inuit use for snow glasses.

Then there are flies and bees which have multiple tiny lenses although not sure if they see one huge image and in focus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 06:21 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Why don't you just go to the oculist and get fitted for a proper pair of glasses?

Old 06-20-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Why don't you just go to the oculist and get fitted for a proper pair of glasses?
How many people do you know who wear glasses whose eyesight has actually got better - rather than worse?

If you have a muscle which is getting weaker, then you exercise it to help it get stronger. Thats what you do when you have a broken limb or a knee operation.

The eye is a muscle which focuses light onto the correct place at the back of the eye, so why can't we exercise it to make it stronger?

Old 06-21-2018, 06:55 AM

Well, OK then, I tell you what, you go on struggling with your poor and uncorrected vision, while I go about my life wearing glasses. Just don't drive a car anywhere near me.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:16 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Work hard.
Rock hard.
Eat hard.
Sleep hard.
Grow big.
Wear glasses if you need 'em.

- The Webb Wilder Credo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlqeUdnweg

Old 06-22-2018, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3
Well, OK then, I tell you what, you go on struggling with your poor and uncorrected vision, while I go about my life wearing glasses. Just don't drive a car anywhere near me.
Turf3 - Yeah, thanks for that. It really answered the question.

The point I made was that we dont often hear of people with eyesight problems getting better eyesight after wearing glasses for a number of years, we only hear about them getting stronger prescriptions for their new glasses.

So, why is that?

I was hoping someone could tell me why the eye is NOT like any other muscle which responds by getting stronger if it is exercised.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:04 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
How many people do you know who wear glasses whose eyesight has actually got better - rather than worse?

If you have a muscle which is getting weaker, then you exercise it to help it get stronger. Thats what you do when you have a broken limb or a knee operation.

The eye is a muscle which focuses light onto the correct place at the back of the eye, so why can't we exercise it to make it stronger?

Not true in all cases, if at all.
I'm by no means a doctor, but I was "treated" by a doctor with this attitude when I was a kid. As a result I went from -4 to -7 within a year, because the already weaker muscles were overworked and instead of getting stronger, continued to degrade. When we went for a 2nd opinion to a different doctor, the doctor was stunned and speechless someone would even attempt that.
I suggest you talk to a doctor about this, before you do some irreversible harm to your eyesight.
Yac.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:32 AM

808 posts, read 541,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I was hoping someone could tell me why the eye is NOT like any other muscle which responds by getting stronger if it is exercised.
Bates Method International - the Bates Method of Vision Education is one website that talks about the Bates Method. The Bates Method was recommended to me by two friends who said it worked for them; they no longer needed glasses. It didn't work for me, because you have to take your glasses off and keep them off, and I never was at a point where I could go for six months to a year without being able to see. But I did the exercises enough to see that it would work. Every now and then, I would see things completely, absolutely clear without my glasses on, but I would get so surprised and I would stare, which is exactly the opposite of what you're supposed to do, and everything would get fuzzy again.

Bates' theory is that near-sightedness is caused by the eye muscles that control the eyeball length being too contracted. His exercises are designed to relax your eyes.

From my own experience, I noticed that when I got a new pair of glasses, I could see every leaf on a tree across the street. But within a few months, my eyesight was no better than it had been before I got the new glasses, just that now everything was still a bit fuzzy, and I had a stronger prescription.

It's worth doing some research. Bates did his work sixty years ago. Others have modified it. It's definitely worth your while to read up on it, and do the exercises.

As for the original question - I think the whole point is to cut off all the light that's coming in at an angle, which is most of the light. I've tried the pinhole glasses, too. Maybe if you do the Bates exercises, and have the pinhole glasses available for those moments when you need to be able to focus?

I remember one excercise my teacher would do. She would sit about ten feet away, and hold up a flashcard of a word with letters about three inches tall. She would say, "Which letter is the 'r'?" I could hardly even tell that she had a card in her hand, my eyesight was so bad. She would describe what the letter r looked like - a vertical line half-way up the card, with an arc on the upper right side. She would have me visualize the letter r, and then guess where it was. Every time, I would "guess" the correct position. Even though my brain was telling me I didn't know, it knew.

The eyes are much more mysterious than we know. I encourage you to look into it more.

Old 06-22-2018, 02:06 PM

I think there's a lot of misinformation presented above.

Actually, if you are talking about distance vision, the muscles of concern are inside the eye and change the curvature of the lens to focus the image on the retina. Myopes (nearsighted) (which would be the ones that would experience sharper vision by reducing the aperture as in looking through a pinhole) have eyeballs that are too long. Distant objects are out of focus. The word "myopia" comes from "small eyes" which describes the squint that myopes will take on in attempting to see better - again, reducing the aperture.

The muscles around the lens contract to focus for NEAR vision; thus attempting to improve DISTANT vision by strengthening the muscles would either have no effect at all or only a minimal effect, since the muscles around the lens are most relaxed when attempting to focus on a distant object.

All the ophthalmologists and optometrists I've mentioned "strengthening" to have uniformly told me there's no evidence that this can be done to any significant usable degree.

Another factor is that distance vision usually gets worse as a person goes through childhood and early adulthood, but by early middle age (say 40) that deterioration usually stops. However, the lens becomes more rigid with age, thus less able to cover a wide range of focal distance. This almost always affects primarily close vision. This is why people who never needed glasses when young often end up needing reading glasses for close work later in life, and why people who only had myopia correction when young end up requiring bifocals later on.

As a personal example, I've been wearing glasses for nearsightedness and astigmatism since age 8. Ever since I was about 40, my distance prescription has remained essentially unchanged. However, I have had to go to bifocals because I was no longer able to focus on close work adequately.

[edited for some additional info]

Last edited by turf3; 06-22-2018 at 03:06 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 03:37 AM

OK, thanks for all the useful information. I have heard of the Bates Method so I will look into that.

I just wonder how animals get by with their eyesight which is more important than ours as they dont have glasses and if they have bad eyesight, they die from starvation.

Quote:
All the ophthalmologists and optometrists I've mentioned "strengthening" to have uniformly told me there's no evidence that this can be done to any significant usable degree.
Many scientists would say that there is no scientific basis for acupuncture yet the Chinese have been using it for thousands of years. Meridians or energy lines cannot be explained in terms of modern health knowledge and practices.

Science is littered with both fakes and people who have discovered methods of healing which work for some people. Pills and modern treatments dont always work though either.

I just think we should question the normally accepted practices occasionally, in case someone comes up with a new way to do something, thats all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology