U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 AM

3,772 posts, read 3,389,104 times

Advertisements

I've got a lil project I want to start working on, and I can't find anything on google about them at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 02:53 AM

32,495 posts, read 50,173,619 times
Me either. What do you need them for?

Old 07-11-2018, 03:45 AM

3,261 posts, read 4,193,140 times
What exactly do you mean when you talk about phosphor cubes? I’m familiar with phosphor screens and flash cubes, but haven’t run across phosphor cubes.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 AM

16,549 posts, read 50,099,376 times
I learned something today: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-phosph...es-cuboid.html

The article gives a clue to why they aren't available - they are inherently weak and currently may not exist outside of lab environments, much less survive shipping.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:34 PM

3,261 posts, read 4,193,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I learned something today: https://phys.org/news/2017-06-phosph...es-cuboid.html

The article gives a clue to why they aren't available - they are inherently weak and currently may not exist outside of lab environments, much less survive shipping.
Interesting, but those are phospholipids. Is that what the OP meant?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:59 AM

32,495 posts, read 50,173,619 times
What about phosphor powder?
https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/phosphor-powder.html
Do you need to add it to paint, to create glow effect?

Old 07-13-2018, 11:35 PM

3,772 posts, read 3,389,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Me either. What do you need them for?
I figured out how BMW makes their laser headlights work, and want to make a set for myself. They use phosphor cubes to difuse the laser in to white light.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:51 AM

19,813 posts, read 15,187,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I figured out how BMW makes their laser headlights work, and want to make a set for myself. They use phosphor cubes to difuse the laser in to white light.
BMW uses yellow phosphorus. Do a search on yellow phosphorus suppliers.
''BMW's new headlight technology is powered by lasers, but the important thing to note is that when you look into them, you're not looking at an actual laser.

What happens with each light is that three blue lasers positioned at the rear of the assembly fire onto a set of mirrors closer to the front. Those mirrors focus the laser energy into a lens filled with yellow phosphorus. The yellow phosphorus, when excited by the blue laser, emits an intense white light. That white light shines backward, onto a reflector. The reflector then bounces the more diffused white light forward, shining it out of the front of the headlight casing as a beam that is powerful, yet still able to be gazed upon.'' [Bolding mine]

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/laser...headlight1.htm

Old Today, 01:40 PM

456 posts, read 123,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
BMW uses yellow phosphorus. Do a search on yellow phosphorus suppliers.
''BMW's new headlight technology is powered by lasers, but the important thing to note is that when you look into them, you're not looking at an actual laser.

What happens with each light is that three blue lasers positioned at the rear of the assembly fire onto a set of mirrors closer to the front. Those mirrors focus the laser energy into a lens filled with yellow phosphorus. The yellow phosphorus, when excited by the blue laser, emits an intense white light. That white light shines backward, onto a reflector. The reflector then bounces the more diffused white light forward, shining it out of the front of the headlight casing as a beam that is powerful, yet still able to be gazed upon.'' [Bolding mine]

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/laser...headlight1.htm
Technically, if you are referring to light emitted after being excited by another light of a different wavelength, that is fluorescence, not phosphorescence. The material being illuminated would be considered a fluorophore or fluorochrome. Also, one more tidbit, fluorescent materials have a characteristic Stokes Shift for the light wavelength that can excite the fluorescence. That shift is always to emit a longer wavelength/lower energy light than the shorter wavelength/higher energy light used for excitation (cannot violate conservation of energy).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescence

Last edited by LesLucid; Today at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or