Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 06:09 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,862,904 times

Advertisements

It must be soon because the technology is there and the AI is there. Maybe the computing power is not small enough yet?

What I would like is a real-time translation device and it seems as though we are getting there but not quite yet. My WeChat app has this feature already so it is on the way. Now it is in this hearing aid too.

This Hearing Aid can translate from spoken to text which is not really a big deal any more - particularly since it needs internet access to do it.

Starkey Hearing Technologies

Link Here
Quote:
The hearing aid can also translate between 27 languages. The language translation works in conjunction with a smartphone app. If an English speaker wearing the device says something to a Chinese speaker, the Livio AI system would translate the words and display them in Chinese characters on the English speaker’s smartphone screen. If the Chinese speaker said something in return, those words would be directly translated into spoken English in the ears of the hearing aid wearer.
Although, unfortunately we are not quite there yet...
Quote:
Still, features such as language translation do rely upon having Internet access and access to cloud-based deep learning systems that can perform the computing-intensive natural language processing.
It would be really really cool to speak in one language and it comes out of the device at the same time in another language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 02:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
We may disagree on some things, but on this we agree. Absolutely.

I keep looking at these, but the price seems a tad high, and handing one to multiple people to place in their ear grosses me out.

https://www.waverlylabs.com/

I read about Livio AI and I'm interested. I am due for new devices next year and There is a place that sells them one mile from me.

Thank you for posting about this. I had no idea this was available.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 09-08-2018 at 03:06 PM..

Old 09-11-2018, 11:19 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
When we learn to speak other languages.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
When we learn to speak other languages.
That is a truth.

How many do you speak?

I speak English, a few words in a few other languages, and Stupid.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:41 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We may disagree on some things, but on this we agree. Absolutely.

I keep looking at these, but the price seems a tad high, and handing one to multiple people to place in their ear grosses me out.

https://www.waverlylabs.com/

I read about Livio AI and I'm interested. I am due for new devices next year and There is a place that sells them one mile from me.

Thank you for posting about this. I had no idea this was available.
I bought this during the original campaign.

First, it took something like 18 months to ship.

Then, the supposed instant real time feature didn’t work (the demos didn’t require you to pass around the earpieces). All the smarts are in the app, which isn’t that smart. At least not yet. And there is no offline mode, which can get expensive with data plans overseas.

I still have them but they are more like Bluetooth earpieces than anything else. Haven’t played with them in over 6 months.

If they get them to a point where it can do one-way real time translations I will be happy.

I would recommend NOT buying them.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 PM

That's the conclusion I reached as well. I appreciate the confirmation.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:23 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,862,904 times
I really dont think the technology is quite there yet, and currently the computing power needs to be on a server somewhere. Perhaps thats so people do not steal the translation database, I dont know, but until it can all be carried around in one small package, it isn't going to do what we need it to do - which is like a Star Trek kind-of real-time translator for "alien" languages.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:27 PM

I would think the major roadblock is RAM. The database must be huge even for a single language to single language translation.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:15 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,816,376 times
You'll never get "real time" translations because, while you can transliterate the words in a sentence to and from any language, you need the entire sentence, or multiple sentences, for meaningful context.

Just look at some of the AI closed captioning systems, lol, and they are even working in the same language.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 10-29-2018, 05:17 PM

When I go looking at new hearing aids after the first of the year I plan on having my laptop set up with some common phrases, like "I'm looking for a good restaurant" in a few languages and testing what the result is in English. And doing the same for English into a few other languages.

I'll report back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology