U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-21-2018, 04:00 PM
 
20,291 posts, read 15,633,754 times
Reputation: 7403

Advertisements

Reported on Oct, 15, 2018, multicellular animal life in the form of a sponge has been dated to at least 100 million years before the Cambrian period, as far back as 660-635 million years ago during the Neoproterozoic Era.
Researchers at the University of California, Riverside, have found the oldest clue yet of animal life, dating back at least 100 million years before the famous Cambrian explosion of animal fossils.

The study, led by Gordon Love, a professor in UCR's Department of Earth Sciences, was published today in Nature Ecology & Evolution. The first author is Alex Zumberge, a doctoral student working in Love's research group.

Rather than searching for conventional body fossils, the researchers have been tracking molecular signs of animal life, called biomarkers, as far back as 660-635 million years ago during the Neoproterozoic Era. In ancient rocks and oils from Oman, Siberia, and India, they found a steroid compound produced only by sponges, which are among the earliest forms of animal life.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1015113522.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2018, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
18,863 posts, read 8,860,357 times
Reputation: 18286
So the question for me is -- will we need to assign different dates to the Cambrian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 01:41 AM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 °N, 🌄°W
9,994 posts, read 4,140,412 times
Reputation: 6334
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So the question for me is -- will we need to assign different dates to the Cambrian?
Why would there be a need to do this?

The "Cambrian Explosion" refers to the sudden appearance in the fossil record of complex animals with mineralized skeletal remains. It may represent the most important evolutionary event in the history of life on Earth.

The OP's link is only describing the discovery of the oldest clue yet of animal life, dating back at least 100 million years before the famous Cambrian explosion of animal fossils.

It has nothing to do with the dates of what occurred during the Cambrian Explosion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
18,863 posts, read 8,860,357 times
Reputation: 18286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Why would there be a need to do this?

The "Cambrian Explosion" refers to the sudden appearance in the fossil record of complex animals with mineralized skeletal remains. It may represent the most important evolutionary event in the history of life on Earth.

The OP's link is only describing the discovery of the oldest clue yet of animal life, dating back at least 100 million years before the famous Cambrian explosion of animal fossils.

It has nothing to do with the dates of what occurred during the Cambrian Explosion.
It depends on how you define the "Cambrian Explosion"...and just for the record, although I went into education and teaching earth science, my degrees were in geology with an emphasis on invertebrate paleontology of the Paleozoic as exemplified by the fossils of western NYS.

The Cambrian Explosion is defined by some as you represent it, but that definition of it is debated. Others define it simply as the point in time when "most major animal phyla appeared in the fossil record". If we are going to look for other markers, aside from just fossils, we may have to push back the beginning of the Cambrian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 °N, 🌄°W
9,994 posts, read 4,140,412 times
Reputation: 6334
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It depends on how you define the "Cambrian Explosion"
How are you defining it?

I am finding the definition I posted is found on several websites.

The Cambrian Explosion

The Burgess Shale

The Cambrian Explosion
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
...and just for the record, although I went into education and teaching earth science, my degrees were in geology with an emphasis on invertebrate paleontology of the Paleozoic as exemplified by the fossils of western NYS.
Cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The Cambrian Explosion is defined by some as you represent it, but that definition of it is debated.
What exactly is being debated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Others define it simply as the point in time when "most major animal phyla appeared in the fossil record".
I really don't see much difference between this: The "Cambrian Explosion" refers to the sudden appearance in the fossil record of complex animals with mineralized skeletal remains, and what you posted above.

I see the Cambrian Explosion is just a period in time where fossil records show a huge diversification of animals on earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
If we are going to look for other markers, aside from just fossils, we may have to push back the beginning of the Cambrian.
https://academic.oup.com/icb/article/43/1/219/604558[/quote]

This is an interesting read.The Proterozoic and Earliest Cambrian Trace Fossil Record; Patterns, Problems and Perspectives

This is as well. Did homeobox gene duplications contribute to the Cambrian explosion?

I'm certain that with the current uses of molecular testing we will be seeing some changes in evolutionary timelines.

DNA dating: How molecular clocks are refining human evolution’s timeline

Last edited by Matadora; 10-25-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2018, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
18,863 posts, read 8,860,357 times
Reputation: 18286
One aspect of the debate has long been whether the appearance of mineralized skeletons should mark the beginning of the Cambrian, or whether the "explosion" is better exemplified by mineralized skeletons simply because those mineralized skeletons were more common in the sedimentary record.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2614223/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:49 AM
 
Location: Pacific 🌉 °N, 🌄°W
9,994 posts, read 4,140,412 times
Reputation: 6334
Speaking of fossils this is not surprising but certainly interesting.

China’s building boom churns up dinosaur fossils
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top