U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 03:31 AM

100 posts, read 35,294 times

Advertisements

I have tried finding hard scientific definitions of the two sexes, but I just end up finding flimsy speculations about "gender fluidity" without any actual science behind it.
So all wishful thinking and personal feelings aside, what are the objective definitions of "man" and "woman"?

My understanding so far is that men are individuals with a penis, XY-chromosomes and testicles, whereas women are individuals with a vagina, XX-chromosomes, a uterus and an ovary.
Are there any other definitions?

Old 10-26-2018, 06:50 AM

830 posts, read 242,230 times
This is a pretty good couple paragraphs but other than this, I think your definition is acceptable in most cases.

“Male and female describe sexes. They can be applied to a person of that sex, or any type of animal that has different sexes.

Man and woman are specifically used to refer only to adult humans, not animals and not children. Children (and sometimes animals, particularly pets) are referred to as boy and girl.

There's also a distinction, particularly made in academia, in that man and woman more properly describe genders, not sexes, where sex is the biological component and gender the social component. That is, if one is born with male sex organs but is transgender as an adult, they would be called a woman even if they still have male sex organs.

That said, the distinction between gender and sex is still not commonly used in normal speech, although it is becoming more common.”

https://ell.stackexchange.com/questi...ale-in-english

Old 10-26-2018, 08:30 AM

20,304 posts, read 15,661,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus86 View Post
I have tried finding hard scientific definitions of the two sexes, but I just end up finding flimsy speculations about "gender fluidity" without any actual science behind it.
So all wishful thinking and personal feelings aside, what are the objective definitions of "man" and "woman"?

My understanding so far is that men are individuals with a penis, XY-chromosomes and testicles, whereas women are individuals with a vagina, XX-chromosomes, a uterus and an ovary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_qdLp5lfvw

Old 10-26-2018, 09:10 AM

16,863 posts, read 51,384,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus86 View Post

You are young, so I take your question as a legitimate one rather than trolling. In short, "man" and "woman" are not scientific words, any more than "English" or "American" have "scientific" definitions. When I was working at hospital when I was a teenager, there was a patient there that was a hermaphrodite. That illumination pretty much ended any nonsense I might have had about black and white sexual delineations. From that point on, the sputterings of uneducated preachers, homophobes, and politicians were amply apparent to me as "wishful thinking and personal feelings."

Old 10-26-2018, 05:51 PM

37 posts, read 8,244 times
Biologically, male means you have a penis while woman means vagina. Entities that do not have either are considered asexual. Hermaphrodites have a physical birth defect which is related to maldevelopments during pregnancy and is not truly a gender at all.

All other definitions are either political or philosophical.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:05 PM

16,266 posts, read 7,125,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBard79 View Post
Biologically, male means you have a penis while woman means vagina. Entities that do not have either are considered asexual. Hermaphrodites have a physical birth defect which is related to maldevelopments during pregnancy and is not truly a gender at all.

Wrong. The correct biological definition is that males produce sperm and females produce ova.

Reptiles, amphibians, fish, and birds don't have penises and vaginas. Both males and females have cloacas, and in some species, males also have an intromittent organ, but it is not a penis, since it does not arise from the same embryological structure as a mammalian penis, nor does it function the way a penis does. Many plants are either male or female, but no plants have penises or vaginas or anything resembling them. Many non-fish and non-mammalian water creatures, both freshwater and seawater, don't have cloacas, penises, or vaginas, they just release their sperm and ova into the water. Insects are of course weird, but they don't have true penises or vaginas either.

Last edited by jacqueg; 10-26-2018 at 06:23 PM..

Old 10-26-2018, 06:10 PM

16,863 posts, read 51,384,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBard79 View Post

Similarly, if an animal is a cow, it creates manure. If an animal is a bull, it creates...

For your next lesson, do a web search on chimera. After that, check out the reproductive ways of seahorses.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:44 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,185,670 times
I don't know, but I know one when I see one.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:16 PM

3,474 posts, read 4,362,492 times
A man is an adult male human. A woman is an adult female human. Biologically, females produce gametes capable of being fertizlized to produce offspring. Males produce motile gametes that can fertilize female gametes.

Biology is messy, though. For the overwhelming majority of people, the genetic sex (XX or XY) match the phenotype sex (vagina, ovaries or penis, testes), but not in all. There are a broad class of intersex people for whom this is not the case. Any attempt to strictly divide people into two sexes will have problems.

There is also gender identity as district from sex. Gender indicates behavior as opposed to sex which indicates genetic and physical characteristics.

Old 10-26-2018, 11:09 PM

991 posts, read 670,047 times
A human adult male is possessed of XY chromosomes, a penis and, testicles that produce sperm to fertilize egg cells present in the uterus of a human female.

A human adult female is possessed of XX chromosomes, a vagina and, ovaries which produce egg cells that are implanted into the uterus which can receive a sperm cell from a human male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology