U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2018, 09:52 PM
 
3,447 posts, read 1,260,942 times
Reputation: 940

Advertisements

And I would genuinely like to know.

The earth is round as in a 3D spherical shape.
But the water doesnít bend - is it the gravity that keeps the water on the earthís surface in a bent shape?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2018, 09:54 PM
 
1,547 posts, read 822,796 times
Reputation: 2176
What do you mean the water doesn't bend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 02:17 AM
 
37,072 posts, read 38,316,614 times
Reputation: 14836
The earth is not actually perfectly round, it's not even a perfect anything....


If you had a glass of water with some oil in it the oil floats over the water because it has less mass per volume. If you could somehow magically take this glass to the center of the earth the water would turn into a sphere and the oil would evenly distribute in a layer on top of it.



That pretty much is how the earth is composed, plenty of gold and other metals at the core because they have the highest mass. Gases with the lighter mass make up the atmosphere. The distribution is not perfect, for example gold, iron and other metals are found in the crust however that is due to volcanic and other processes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 02:39 AM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
16,253 posts, read 7,121,402 times
Reputation: 9244
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
And I would genuinely like to know.

The earth is round as in a 3D spherical shape.
But the water doesn’t bend - is it the gravity that keeps the water on the earth’s surface in a bent shape?
Um, a molecule of water is quite small, especially in relation to the earth, why would it need to bend?

An ocean is a mass of molecules (to be correct, it is a mass of ions and anions) which have an affinity for each other. So the mass does indeed "bend", but none of the individual molecules do. Think about a bunch of peas filling a large bowl. No pea is required to bend in order to conform to the curved surface of the bowl, because the pea is much smaller than the bowl.

But of course neither an ocean bed or a river bed is smooth, so to a water molecule, the whole thing "looks" like an unimaginably enormous and chaotic mountain/valley system. But a molecule doesn't need to bend to fit the surface, and it is naturally attracted to other water molecules, so the individual molecules cohere as a mass.

Gravity does indeed affect water, just as it affects everything else on earth, but the attraction that water molecules have for each other is more important than gravity in holding a mass of water molecules together.

I hope I've understood your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 02:44 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
16,858 posts, read 51,363,981 times
Reputation: 27740
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
And I would genuinely like to know.

The earth is round as in a 3D spherical shape.
But the water doesnít bend - is it the gravity that keeps the water on the earthís surface in a bent shape?
If you mean the surface of the water in the oceans conforming to the more or less spherical shape of the globe, then yes. Gravity causes that.

And in a pre-emptive strike on flat earthers, if the earth were flat instead, lighthouses would have worked at ground level, and on a clear day people in Florida could have seen the Alps in europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 04:59 AM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
3,466 posts, read 4,358,792 times
Reputation: 4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
And I would genuinely like to know.

The earth is round as in a 3D spherical shape.
But the water doesnít bend - is it the gravity that keeps the water on the earthís surface in a bent shape?
Yes. Itís gravity. Water does a much better job following gravity. This is why lakes tend to match the curvature of the Earth while rock can form mountains and valleys.

The water on the surface actually bulges a bit because of the gravity of the moon (and to a lesser extent the sun). As the earth and moon move,this bulge tends to follow the moon. This is what causes periodic tides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Eastern Tennessee
2,300 posts, read 1,527,744 times
Reputation: 5804
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Yes. Itís gravity. Water does a much better job following gravity. This is why lakes tend to match the curvature of the Earth while rock can form mountains and valleys.

The water on the surface actually bulges a bit because of the gravity of the moon (and to a lesser extent the sun). As the earth and moon move,this bulge tends to follow the moon. This is what causes periodic tides.
Good explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
1,244 posts, read 483,654 times
Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
And I would genuinely like to know.

The earth is round as in a 3D spherical shape.

Nope. Not round.


It's more of an "oblate spheroid."


The diameter at the equator is greater than the diameter at the poles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Midwest
3,720 posts, read 6,724,120 times
Reputation: 5644
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The earth is not actually perfectly round, it's not even a perfect anything....


If you had a glass of water with some oil in it the oil floats over the water because it has less mass per volume. If you could somehow magically take this glass to the center of the earth the water would turn into a sphere and the oil would evenly distribute in a layer on top of it.



That pretty much is how the earth is composed, plenty of gold and other metals at the core because they have the highest mass. Gases with the lighter mass make up the atmosphere. The distribution is not perfect, for example gold, iron and other metals are found in the crust however that is due to volcanic and other processes.
No, the earff is a spear. It's round in one dimention but 3D it's a spear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2018, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
16,858 posts, read 51,363,981 times
Reputation: 27740
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Nope. Not round.


It's more of an "oblate spheroid."


The diameter at the equator is greater than the diameter at the poles.
I kinda like the Brit definition that the Earth has gone pear shaped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top