U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 02:52 AM

2,724 posts, read 2,995,197 times

Advertisements

Link 1

Link 2
Quote:
Researchers in Sweden have discovered a specialized fluid that works like a rechargeable battery. Shine sunlight on it, and the fluid traps it. Then, at a later date, that energy can be released as heat just by adding a catalyst.
Quote:
To release the energy, you simply pass the fluid over a cobalt-based catalyst, which causes the molecules to revert to their original form. This, in turn, lets the energy from the sunlight out of its cage as heat.
Quote:
Early results have demonstrated that once the fluid is passed through the catalyst, it warms up by 113 degrees Fahrenheit. But researchers believe that with the right manipulations, they can increase that output to 230 degrees Fahrenheit or more. Already, the system can double the the energy capacity of Tesla's reputed Powerwall batteries.
Another discovery which will be bought up and buried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM

3,496 posts, read 4,372,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Link 1

Link 2
Another discovery which will be bought up and buried.
Like most things that get "bought up and buried", there's a huge, risky path from research path to the market. This is what scientists call "engineering" and it's tough. It seems like a promising start, especially for heating applications, which are a huge user of energy. Unless the systems can be engineered for free, I doubt it will be useful for electric power.

Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,069,705 times
Sounds like an amusing variant of the battery to me. That's all batteries are, folks, is electricity to chemical to electricity storage. Most just don't glow.

Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Like most things that get "bought up and buried", there's a huge, risky path from research path to the market. This is what scientists call "engineering" and it's tough. It seems like a promising start, especially for heating applications, which are a huge user of energy. Unless the systems can be engineered for free, I doubt it will be useful for electric power.
It could also be that the oil and gas industries do not want solar to replace them...just yet.

They have not finished their resources and completely messed up the Earth so why should they want someone else to step in with an alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietude
Sounds like an amusing variant of the battery to me.
Why amusing?
The weight of battery packs are a big hurdle at the moment. If they can be reduced in weight it will mean energy can be transported easier and we will not be so dependent on fixed power supplies.

Old Today, 09:51 AM

3,496 posts, read 4,372,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
It could also be that the oil and gas industries do not want solar to replace them...just yet.

They have not finished their resources and completely messed up the Earth so why should they want someone else to step in with an alternative?

Why amusing?
The weight of battery packs are a big hurdle at the moment. If they can be reduced in weight it will mean energy can be transported easier and we will not be so dependent on fixed power supplies.
No one wants their industry to be disrupted but realistically have limited control over when and how that happens. Germany is in no way beholden to the oil and gas industry and have taken solar as far as they can with current technology. The problem is that solar is too intermittent to use for 100% of power needs. This invention doesn't solve that problem, either. It's a small step in the right direction, perhaps.

I think an efficient (both energetically but mostly economically) means of converting solar energy into chemical fuels like ethanol or methane is what is really needed. There are lots of people working on this (i.e. artificial photosynthesis) but it's a tough problem.

Old Today, 10:00 PM

There are plenty of energy technologies which could be used if the will was there.

I realise it is a stretch of the imagination, but the regularly-seen silent triangular and cigar-shaped craft use some new and unknown power source. It is fairly obvious (although speculative), that it is not oil-based and not based on battery technology. I would assume you need some serious power to lift and drive craft of this kind.

Although no-one knows about or acknowledges these craft, they do provide some 'evidence' of new power sources. I cannot imagine the military are using nuclear power and we do not currently have non-combustive commercial jet engines in the public domain. Of course, I could be totally wrong about all this.

So, with that said, it seems all the energy requirements we humans will ever need has already been developed but is under wraps in the military. Why are we bothering to do dual research and development if it has most likely already been done? What a waste of people's time and energy just because the technology wont be released for the good of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology