U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 10:55 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,610,465 times

Advertisements

How about a sub-forum on technologies that aren't computers? (Although many of them may be enabled by the use of computers as a tool.)

For example, a few that I've been interested in the last few years:

Super high speed machining
The latest state of the art in fiber reinforced plastics
Thixotropic forming, either from liquid or from solid
what's the latest thing in die casting? Recent variants in squeeze casting? Others?
Indoor air quality management - beyond filters and basic HVAC - has anyone figured out how to heat/cool commercial buildings better, without freezing in summer and roasting in winter?
How is 3d printing making the transition from small batch production and prototype quantities to mass production quantities?

And so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 11:10 AM

3,571 posts, read 4,425,587 times
Why do you want a sub-forum for a topic that barely gets any interest on the main forum? The science forum barely gets any activity as it is. Seems a waste to sub-divide further.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:44 PM

16,206 posts, read 27,674,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
How about a sub-forum on technologies that aren't computers? (Although many of them may be enabled by the use of computers as a tool.)

For example, a few that I've been interested in the last few years:

Super high speed machining
The latest state of the art in fiber reinforced plastics
Thixotropic forming, either from liquid or from solid
what's the latest thing in die casting? Recent variants in squeeze casting? Others?
Indoor air quality management - beyond filters and basic HVAC - has anyone figured out how to heat/cool commercial buildings better, without freezing in summer and roasting in winter?
How is 3d printing making the transition from small batch production and prototype quantities to mass production quantities?

And so on.
All of those are computer-controlled to a certain degree. Some may have a simple electronic control or circuit board that accomplishes tasks such as adjustments or calculations, but even a calculator is a computer.

Modern HVAC systems are computer-controlled. In fact, you can have an HVAC app on an iPad that allows you to adjust the temperature setting for summer or winter via Wi-Fi. However, simple AC and heating systems at your home can still be manually controlled if you don't want automatic controls.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:48 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,610,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
All of those are computer-controlled to a certain degree. Some may have a simple electronic control or circuit board that accomplishes tasks such as adjustments or calculations, but even a calculator is a computer.

You missed my point. Just because a particular technology uses computers doesn't make it identical to computer technology. That's like saying that house building is just a branch of forestry.

I guess no one has any interest in technology that isn't computer software or hardware? Sad state of affairs, when there are so many things happening outside of the CS and IT realm, and no one except a few people in the fields is even aware of them.

Old 11-25-2018, 12:55 PM

3,571 posts, read 4,425,587 times
Quote:
You missed my point. Just because a particular technology uses computers doesn't make it identical to computer technology. That's like saying that house building is just a branch of forestry.

I guess no one has any interest in technology that isn't computer software or hardware? Sad state of affairs, when there are so many things happening outside of the CS and IT realm, and no one except a few people in the fields is even aware of them.
You don't need a sub-forum if you want to post about them. I'd say few people on city-data have interest in science of any kind. There are more science-specific places on the internet with much more active user-bases.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:38 AM

3,960 posts, read 7,619,884 times
Quote:

Start a thread in the general S/T area. If there is enough interest to make it a sub, I'm sure it will become one. The point is that the other subs have the traffic to support it. There's no evidence of that in the topics you're suggesting.

I'd love to see a golf sub in Sports - but there simply isn't enough traffic to warrant one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or