U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 08:45 AM

441 posts, read 191,484 times

Advertisements

This is something that I have been thinking about for a while. I don't know if there was a post about this in the past or not, so here we go....

Global warming, if it's real or not, with emissions from vehicles and other equipment can be a serious issue. I'm concerned about the health and well being with people and the Earth and its possible thinning of the ozone. Also I do support issues in place to combat global warming.

On the other hand, could it be that the sun is expanding? As we all learned in school science that some stars expand into super giants. Others implode. I've read articles supporting that the Sun will eventually expand, consuming Mercury, Venus and Earth. Even the summers seem to be getting hotter each year. But some winters seem to get colder as well. Which is good for my location!! A welcome time after brutally hot and humid days in Southwest Louisiana.

With that being said, I stand on the line between the two issues. Could the colder temperatures be a result of thinning atmosphere?

I'm not looking for argumentation or bashing each other, or me, for their beliefs on the matter. Just interested in thoughts about the subject. Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 08:49 AM

812 posts, read 901,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
On the other hand, could it be that the sun is expanding? As we all learned in school science that some stars expand into super giants. Others implode.
No.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:32 AM

441 posts, read 191,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
No.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a8167506.html

An old article:https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...f-earth-maybe/

https://www.space.com/22471-red-giant-stars.html

Old 12-02-2018, 11:43 AM

20,447 posts, read 15,831,505 times
Quote:
This is something that I have been thinking about for a while. I don't know if there was a post about this in the past or not, so here we go....

Global warming, if it's real or not, with emissions from vehicles and other equipment can be a serious issue. I'm concerned about the health and well being with people and the Earth and its possible thinning of the ozone. Also I do support issues in place to combat global warming.

On the other hand, could it be that the sun is expanding? As we all learned in school science that some stars expand into super giants. Others implode. I've read articles supporting that the Sun will eventually expand, consuming Mercury, Venus and Earth. Even the summers seem to be getting hotter each year. But some winters seem to get colder as well. Which is good for my location!! A welcome time after brutally hot and humid days in Southwest Louisiana.

With that being said, I stand on the line between the two issues. Could the colder temperatures be a result of thinning atmosphere?

I'm not looking for argumentation or bashing each other, or me, for their beliefs on the matter. Just interested in thoughts about the subject. Have a great day!
The Sun is a middle age main sequence star. It has plenty of hydrogen left to convert into helium in the fusion process. It will be billions of years before the sun uses up its hydrogen and begins first to contract, and then to expand.

The following article which you yourself posted provides the details.

https://www.space.com/22471-red-giant-stars.html

Old 12-02-2018, 08:26 PM

15,909 posts, read 13,364,240 times
Quote:

1. We observe the sun daily. If it was expanding it would be observable.

2. Our star is not big enough to go super giant. It will go red giant in about 8 billion years or so.

3. The ozone is not thinning anymore.

4. Its not global warming its CLIMATE CHANGE. Part of a changing climate means more variable weather including colder temperatures in some areas.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:20 PM

10,239 posts, read 4,281,741 times
The sun's energy has decreased since the 1980s but the Earth keeps warming faster than before.

In the last 35 years of global warming, the sun has shown a slight cooling trend. Sun and climate have been going in opposite directions. In the past century, the Sun can explain some of the increase in global temperatures, but a relatively small amount.

This is a great website full of resources. Sun & climate: moving in opposite directions

Check out their myths section.

Global Warming & Climate Change Myths

All climate change deniers or those who don't think humans are the culprit for the current rapid global temperature rises should start with the climate myths section. I would be willing to bet you will find your myth in this list.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:04 PM

190 posts, read 45,919 times
The time scale for significant expansion of the Sun is in billions of years. For example, the Sun has expanded by about 10% over the past 4.5 billion years. There's a nice chart here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future...olar_evolution
The luminosity of the Sun is increasing by 1% every 110 million years; we're not going to notice that in our lifetimes. Any shorter term variation is the result of magnetic activity from solar convection, which tends to be cyclical in nature.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:51 PM

36 posts, read 25,915 times
I’m still trying to figure out what to believe, clearly there is warming but, there are some within the scientific community saying we have entered a “quiet sun” phase, meaning there are less observable spots on the sun and this will in turn cause global temperatures to decrease. There is said to be a correlation between sunspots and the earth’s weather temps and that ice ages have occurred during periods of quiet sun. I hope they are all wrong or at least that the warming cancels out the cooling…I don’t want to see an ice age.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:31 PM

34,104 posts, read 52,535,010 times
Quote:

Here is an article about the effects of Sun expansion. Sorry for the title
https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe.../#6fd1363466c2
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:26 PM

10,239 posts, read 4,281,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Here is an article about the effects of Sun expansion. Sorry for the title
https://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybe.../#6fd1363466c2
I don't see anything in this article about the actual science of Sun expansion. In fact he uses the term Theory to describe Svensmark's study that was nothing more than a hypothesis...a really bad one at that.

The guy who wrote this article in Forbes is a well documented climate change denier. It's no surprise he chose the title he did. All throughout this article you can clearly hear his climate change denier bias.

Looks like he has written other climate change denier opinion pieces in Forbes in the past.

The Continuing Denial of the Scientific Consensus on Climate Change

Quote:
Larry Bell in Forbes

A recent article by Larry Bell in Forbes went over the now-familiar ground of denying the consensus on climate change. He criticized the Doran and Zimmerman study for having too small a sample size and for asking vague questions (although, as I will discuss below, he is forgiving of similar questions and sample sizes of a study done by the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta (APEGGA)). He cited the Oregon Petition, debunked here, while ignoring the work of Oreskes (2004) and Anderegg et al (2010). He cited the Polish Academy of Sciences PAN Committee of Geological Sciences, while ignoring the position of the General Assembly of the Polish Academy of Sciences, which endorses the IPCC conclusions, along with many other national science academies.

Most of Bell’s arguments have been debunked before and there’s little point in discussing them here again in detail. However, I have some personal familiarity with APEGGA, having been a member of this organization for many years, so I will look at that case of a supposedly dissenting scientific organisation in more detail.
Forbes’ rich list of nonsense
Quote:
While it is no longer surprising, it remains disheartening to see a blistering attack on climate science in the business press where thoughtful reviews of climate policy ought to be appearing. Of course, the underlying strategy is to pretend that no evidence that the climate is changing exists, so any effort to address climate change is a waste of resources.
I would not invest much stock in this supposed architect who uses the media to promote his climate change denier nonsense.

Larry Bell
Quote:
While Larry Bell authors articles in the media denying man-made climate change, he has not published any articles in peer-reviewed journals on the subject of climate.
Faculty & Staff

No resume? No Biography? No Interests on his U of H faculty web page.

I think scientists do a much better job at explaining science.

Is the Sun expanding? Will it ever explode? (Beginner)

Ask the Space Scientist

Last edited by Matadora; 12-03-2018 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or