U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 08:56 PM

3,888 posts, read 1,680,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
No reason to "wow". Young generation don't know that, nor ever saw a telegram form or how it works. This operation ceased in the mid 80's in most developed countries. Not sure who still use it nowadays.

Here is an example:
Vintage 1962 Telegram from Luigi Chinetti to Bob Estes Ferrari 250 GTE

Some were printed from a machine and pasted on a form, later on they were received by the phone and handwritten on a telegram form.

Note:
Looks like telegrams are still sent and received:
https://www.americantelegram.com/han...xoC8cAQAvD_BwE
Well, I've never seen a muzzle loading cannon or a siege engine, stagecoach, or a Pony Express rider, nor did I ever see a sailing ship until I was an adult, but I certainly knew that these things existed, what they were used for, and at least a little bit about who used them and how they were part of their times.

There are these things called "history books" and "novels" that can provide a remarkable amount of information about times we aren't living in and faraway places. They exist in versions suitable to all ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 10:11 PM

11,932 posts, read 13,337,213 times
The most dreaded man in the early Forties was the one who delivered telegrams.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:47 AM

4,225 posts, read 1,408,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
the most dreaded man in the early forties was the one who delivered telegrams.
"deeply regret informing you..."

Old 12-21-2018, 12:38 PM

30,453 posts, read 15,603,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, I've never seen a muzzle loading cannon or a siege engine, stagecoach, or a Pony Express rider, nor did I ever see a sailing ship until I was an adult, but I certainly knew that these things existed, what they were used for, and at least a little bit about who used them and how they were part of their times.

There are these things called "history books" and "novels" that can provide a remarkable amount of information about times we aren't living in and faraway places. They exist in versions suitable to all ages.
https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/ten_thousand.png

Old 12-21-2018, 02:22 PM

4,005 posts, read 7,662,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
I believe one of the "Ts" in the name AT&T is telegraph, did you ever use it personally? My understanding is, this was privileged transmission, expensive and only high level people had access to it.
Quote:
Yes. I was "exposed" to it many times.
Telegraph is a device used to send telegrams.
Sending and receiving telegrams was expensive but not a privileged transmission for high level people. Telegrams were sent and received at the Post office, and hand delivered by a courier immediately after it was received 24/7
I personally know how to operate a teleprinter. I think that this system in the US was called Telex.

AT&T - American Telephone & Telegraph
^ This.

This is a bit before my time (I do recall seeing telex systems in my dad's office in the 70's), but I'd guess that it wasn't as much as being privileged as something that simply wasn't really needed by the average joe. Telephones have been around for a long time as well and that was more common in household. You really didn't need a text-based communication medium unless it was for official business?

Sort of like pagers I guess. Most people didn't need them. Unless you were a doctor... or drug dealer .

Old 12-21-2018, 09:43 PM

27,391 posts, read 38,642,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I have had a goal all my life: Learn at least one new thing every day.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:23 AM

6,303 posts, read 10,430,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I have had a goal all my life: Learn at least one new thing every day.
As long as you are learning faster than you are forgetting, any new thing learned should be a win!

My first and only telegram was to my parents asking for money when I was at a remote town in my freshman year in junior high (early 80s).
My dad must have kept it because when he passed away in 2005, my sister found and brought it with her. It was a trip to see it after all those years.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:39 AM

34,364 posts, read 52,793,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The most dreaded man in the early Forties was the one who delivered telegrams.
Yeah. Telegrams we're usually associated with bad news...
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:18 PM

6,628 posts, read 8,782,681 times
I worked in a location that had a teletype. Basically a typewriter operated by a phone line. A box of paper was on the floor, like a dot matrix printer, that typed messages all day on 4 part paper with carbon paper. We could always tell when info was being manually typed because it was slow like me typing this.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:34 PM

20,605 posts, read 20,807,127 times
Quote:
Yeah. Telegrams we're usually associated with bad news...
"Candy Gram for Mr. Mongo"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology