U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:01 PM

1,984 posts, read 720,699 times

Advertisements

If you ever watch TCM old movies or read Sherlock Holmes stories you'd be very familiar with telegrams, ubiquitous, cheap & easy form of communications before telephones became the norm in the 60s and not just a luxury. (Cf- famously wrong election polls in the Truman/Dewey contest of '48-- conducted for the first time by telephone- owned mostly by higher income folks who usually voted GOP.)

My brother and I ran wires from room to room and into the basement and sent Morse code messages to each other with battery powered key pads when playing on rainy days (weren't allowed in the house unless it was raining- HARD.) That was in the 50s, before computer games eliminated the need to actually think & imagine to entertain yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:15 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,175,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
"Candy Gram for Mr. Mongo"
I wouldn't be so glib if I were you. He may knock out the horse you rode in on! lol

Old Today, 02:23 PM

1,984 posts, read 720,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
"Candy Gram for Mr. Mongo"

There's a knock on the door and the young housewife answers it. There's a unformed Western Union guy standing there. "Telegram for Mrs Jones," he says...."OH, goody! A singing telegram!" she says...." No, lady. This isn't a singing telegram."...."But I've never gotten a singing telegram. You must sing it to me!".. "Well, if you insist"--- The messenger breaks into little tap dance and sings--"Jack and the kids are dead. Yea!"

Old Today, 02:49 PM

4,219 posts, read 1,408,285 times
"Land Shark."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology