U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2018, 09:00 AM

1,007 posts, read 705,505 times

Advertisements

We just switched over to Verizon FIOS for Cable and Internet. We have three Verizon boxes for the rooms with a tv. I just bought each of my kids a Samsung Smart TVfor their rooms but they are upstairs and have no cable wire going to their rooms. The way this house is built, there is no way to get a cable wire to their rooms without opening up a major wall.

Shouldnít I be able to watch FIOS Cable on these TVs somehow? We can watch it on all of our phones and iPads using the FIOS app. I thought there would be a way to get that app on the Samsung but I cannot figure it out. Iím not about to get Netflix or anything, i have Amazon Prime but they canít watch shows like Sponge Bob for free.

The only thing I can think of is getting our iPads to mirror to the tv. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 09:32 AM

960 posts, read 2,207,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
We just switched over to Verizon FIOS for Cable and Internet. We have three Verizon boxes for the rooms with a tv. I just bought each of my kids a Samsung Smart TVfor their rooms but they are upstairs and have no cable wire going to their rooms. The way this house is built, there is no way to get a cable wire to their rooms without opening up a major wall.

Shouldnít I be able to watch FIOS Cable on these TVs somehow? We can watch it on all of our phones and iPads using the FIOS app. I thought there would be a way to get that app on the Samsung but I cannot figure it out. Iím not about to get Netflix or anything, i have Amazon Prime but they canít watch shows like Sponge Bob for free.

The only thing I can think of is getting our iPads to mirror to the tv. Any ideas?

Disclaimer - I am not a Verizon FIOS cable subscriber and I do not work for Verizon or any telecom company.

#1 The best alternative to stream apps from an iOS device or a Mac computer is to utilize 'Airplay' to redirect the content to an Apple TV (connected to your TV). I did a quick Google search and saw some posts in 2017 that suggested Verizon may have disabled Airplay from their TV app. I recommend checking a Verizon based forum to see if this set-up is possible.

Generally, the cable subscribers DO NOT build apps that are available directly on competing stream devices or services (including smart TVs)

#2 Another option is to see if your SMART TV allows you to down network specific apps (e.g., NBC, ABC, CBS). Through this approach, you can use your Verizon credentials to get unrestricted access to the network-specific app and watch shows for free.

#3 Drop Verizon cable and go with the most expense Internet package you can afford and then bundle it with a streaming TV service: DIRECTVnow, YoutubeTV, or Sling. You will eliminate cable boxes. Depending on your TVs, you may or may not need a streaming device (Roku, Amazon Fire or Apple TV).

Old 12-31-2018, 11:01 AM

1,007 posts, read 705,505 times
Oops. Sorry. I just realized that I posted in Economics. I thought it said Electronics. My eyes are shot.

Old 12-31-2018, 03:36 PM

1,269 posts, read 1,675,014 times
According to this( https://www.multichannel.com/news/ve...art-tvs-403500 ) No Fois discontinued supoort for the Fios app on Samsung smart Tv
So optiins would be get a fire stick/roku or something like that , connect to Tv and watch Fios on the Samsung TV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology