U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:48 PM

27,480 posts, read 38,765,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Are you serious? And that is the link you post to "prove" your point?
How's this for proof?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ACoe1_yg84

lol. Techradar is a website that is written by the ignorant and caters to the ignorant. Opinion generated by that one unintelligent article. Since I won't go back to the site I call True.

And thanks for the cover. Got a bit wisecracked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM

25,303 posts, read 60,677,920 times
If you intend to keep it for a while, get a desktop. With a laptop anything that fails or gets damaged is a major repair effort and for most people requires technical assistance (i.e. take it to a shop.) When you try to DIY, you often end up breaking other parts because of the laptops are snapped together. To replace or upgrade a desktop monitor, you simply plug the new one in. For a laptop, it is usually not with the trouble/cost, just replace the computer. I am not very technically savvy, but on my desktop, I have replaced the power supply, hard drive, video card, sound card, monitor, wireless card, added a cooling thing to the CPU. All with very little trouble. With laptops, screens, keyboards, SSD, sometimes success sometimes disaster and end up replacing the computer. The screen is particularly difficult with many of them.

I find that at home, with a large screen (I use an old TV set, not fast but huge) and a wireless mouse, headset, and keyboard, I can go almost anywhere and use my desktop. Another family member set their desktop up so the keyboard and mouse can communicate with the computer from any room and the video can be connected to their TV in their bedroom. Thus they can use their desktop while in tier bedroom upstairs even thought he desktop is downstairs. The one thing you do not get as much mobility with a desktop is the camera. However I suspect there are wireless cameras available as well if you feel you really need camera mobility.

We have also found the weak link with laptops for gaming is the video card and screen. You can get a really fist refresh rate 4k monitor for a reasonable price. Laptops cannot deal with the power needs and heat from a powerful video card. And a great gaming screen will cost a fortune. Cooling the chip-set is also a problem for laptops. You can get a fast enough chip in some of the more high end laptops, but how are you gong to cool it?

Old Today, 01:25 PM

11,083 posts, read 13,121,378 times
As OP hasn't been seen in 10 days I am going to wait to see if he comes back... before I tear apart ColdJensons post.

No offense CJenson... I like you... but if you're going to say "I'm not tech savvy" maybe you should leave this discussion to those of us that are. GAMING Laptops are WAY more repairable then they used to be. Business laptops? Not so much. Gaming laptops? Yea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology