U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,885 posts, read 11,036,246 times
Reputation: 10252

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Which is part of why jobs go out-of-country. However, that doesn't address or excuse not having a method to deal with rinse water. Another idea to do so might be a giant one of those newfangled high tech things called a "bucket" That would require no structural change. Sorry, but over the years I have heard far too many excuses and far too much blame shifting for stupidity and laziness to accept such whinging at face value.
We have another building that will be licensed in the next year or so. It will be interesting to see how they address this problem. I do not expect any miracles.

Many years ago I use to drag race. On two separate occasions I had batteries blow up in my face. In one case, while jumping the car, I over heated a battery and in another case I also over heated a 12 volt jumping it from a six volt. In case people don't know' car batters can make a pretty good explosion when overheated. They sound like a twelve gauge shotgun going off and they can splatter you with battery acid. Fortunately for me I had water close and immediately rinsed off both time. I had no burning or scaring from the acid. However My clothes did fall apart when washed. I also did learn, although very slowly, from experience. I now know you don't mix six and twelve volts and you don't crank so long you overheat. You also want to make your last connection to a ground away from the battery.

Since those early days I have had an occasion where I worked a spill team and I have a great fondness for the safety equipment. It can and will save your life. But there is always Murphy's Law, nothing is infallible; mistakes can still happen. I have about a two inch round white patch of skin on my right arm because a high (long sleeved) 'safety' rubber glove had a very small hole. At the time I had my hands in a solution that contained potassium hydroxide which is one of the strongest corrosives. Some of the strong alkalis are worse than the acids because you don't feel them burn. So it is also very important that we check and only use only uncompromised equipment.

That said: what would be the odds of one of the wet and dry vacuums necessary, to vacuum up 300 gallons of water, having a frayed electric cord? Which could be possible with the current regulations and lack of a place to drain. So I am long winded and come full circle. I still feel that a quick short rinse (half a minute to a minute) and then a move to a shower would be a more effective way to deal with accidental spills on our bodies and eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top