U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 06:15 PM

1,855 posts, read 664,938 times

Advertisements

3 things:

1. if a cellphone was used, would it last longer (2 weeks) since ALL it was doing was staying on?
2. if RF was used, would the signal be robust enough to track from considerable distances?
3. if the character has to build it from scratch, how could the batteries and chips be built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 PM

356 posts, read 204,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
[...]

But the dark web purchase is even more interesting. Note though such tools leave tracks that the authorities may well be able to find.
Since this is fiction we could imagine he buys modified versions of the leaked NSA hacking tools, and that they are very hard to detect, and they take advantage of the constant connectivity of the cell phone to exfiltrate the surveillance data using methods that hide the data (encryption/tunneling/steganography/bursts/etc).

It can have a remote triggered self destruct function to remove itself and all evidence of itself.

I’m not sure why the concern about using the cell phone to move data. The phone probably has apps on it running in the background that already chew up some data usage all the time.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:45 PM

3,839 posts, read 1,227,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
A couple of good ideas. I would certainly start out with some version of a Rasberry Pi. And add the blocks for the transmitter and GPS.

But the dark web purchase is even more interesting. Note though such tools leave tracks that the authorities may well be able to find.
Oh okay, but how would the blocks serve the plot exactly?

Also, since the main character got the hacker to hack the villain's computer before, wouldn't he just be able to get the hacker to hack his phone then, and then track the phone by whatever the hacker put on the phone (not sure what it's called)?

Old 02-10-2019, 06:54 PM

18,647 posts, read 15,575,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Yes but he is a cop who has decided to pursue the case on his own, cause the police had to drop the case, cause they had no evidence and no probable cause. So even though the character is a cop, since he has decided to pursue it on it's own, he cannot sign out equipment without rousing suspicion therefore, and would probably have to use his own.
I his is IMO where your Aspergers interferes with certain concepts. A cop going rogue to catch a bad guy is not going to care about following protocol for getting equipment. He would get that sneakily too. Iím pretty sure you watched Dexter right? Dexter did all sorts of things he wasnít supposed to do at work all the time, he used his access as a cop to computers, he stole and altered evidence,, help him do what he needed to do. Of course he wouldnít sign out equipment.

You keep forgetting I think that your cop IS a criminal the second he goes rogue to find this guy. Heís breaking the law regardless if his intentions are noble. One lie, one law broken usually leads to more and more.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Oh okay, but how would the blocks serve the plot exactly?

Also, since the main character got the hacker to hack the villain's computer before, wouldn't he just be able to get the hacker to hack his phone then, and then track the phone by whatever the hacker put on the phone (not sure what it's called)?
He could probably get his teenaged nephew to do that for him, lol. Private investigators track people all the time. Why donít you research how they do it?

Old 02-10-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I his is IMO where your Aspergers interferes with certain concepts. A cop going rogue to catch a bad guy is not going to care about following protocol for getting equipment. He would get that sneakily too. Iím pretty sure you watched Dexter right? Dexter did all sorts of things he wasnít supposed to do at work all the time, he used his access as a cop to computers, he stole and altered evidence,, help him do what he needed to do. Of course he wouldnít sign out equipment.

You keep forgetting I think that your cop IS a criminal the second he goes rogue to find this guy. Heís breaking the law regardless if his intentions are noble. One lie, one law broken usually leads to more and more.
Yep but that was the point I was trying to make though is that since he is going rogue, he is not going to be using police equipment, is what I meant. So since he is doing it on his own, I am not sure what he would use for a tracking device exactly.

Even if a device transmits back to a black box, would the black box still be able to display a screen for him to view GPS on?

Old 02-10-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Yep but that was the point I was trying to make though is that since he is going rogue, he is not going to be using police equipment, is what I meant. So since he is doing it on his own, I am not sure what he would use for a tracking device exactly.

Even if a device transmits back to a black box, would the black box still be able to display a screen for him to view GPS on?
I really think youíre getting bogged down in detail about a trivial thing. Audiences are not going to care or question the details of how his tracking device works.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:24 PM

Okay thanks, but when I ask readers to go over it and give me their thoughts, they ask me questions on every little detail all the time, so I feel I have to provide all the information, so there is no confusion.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 PM

34,868 posts, read 53,429,077 times
Quote:
Yes but he is a cop who has decided to pursue the case on his own, cause the police had to drop the case, cause they had no evidence and no probable cause. So even though the character is a cop, since he has decided to pursue it on it's own, he cannot sign out equipment without rousing suspicion therefore, and would probably have to use his own.
While you movie is a fiction it doesn't matter, but just FYI:
It's generally legal to use a GPS tracking device if:
You are tracking a car or asset for the purpose of legal repossession in the event of a default on a loan. Or you're tracking your underage kids.

It's generally illegal to use a GPS tracking device if:
You are not the owner of the car and do not have the legal right to track it.
Or if you track boyfriend, girlfriend or significant other in their own car.

BUT:
The laws governing GPS tracking by government agents, police or private citizens are not definitive.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:45 PM

Oh yeah, and my main character is not worried about legalities so much as if he doesn't get caught.

He doesn't even need to use a tracking device necessarily, but I felt that if he followed the villain with his car, without one, then he would have to use his eyesight to follow him, in which case the villain may noticed he is being followed if it happens over days of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology