U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM

34,868 posts, read 53,429,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh yeah, and my main character is not worried about legalities so much as if he doesn't get caught.

He doesn't even need to use a tracking device necessarily, but I felt that if he followed the villain with his car, without one, then he would have to use his eyesight to follow him, in which case the villain may noticed he is being followed if it happens over days of time.

Right. And you want to add a dose of excitement there too, by putting on the tracking device or following the suspect with different cars (changing the cars.)
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM

4,226 posts, read 2,103,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right. And you want to add a dose of excitement there too, by putting on the tracking device or following the suspect with different cars (changing the cars.)
mk6 uses a shuffle of 3 persons to follow either on foot or in car. so the paranoid suspect wont see the same car in their rear view or the same persons face if they double-back.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

18,647 posts, read 15,575,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
mk6 uses a shuffle of 3 persons to follow either on foot or in car. so the paranoid suspect wont see the same car in their rear view or the same persons face if they double-back.
The cop is doing it on his own.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

2,287 posts, read 540,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I'm writing a screenplay, and I want the main character to follow the main villain around, but of course I don't want the villain to be able to spot that he is being followed, on the highway and all.

So I want the main character to plant a tracking device on his car. Which he would have to make his own do-it-yourself tracking device.

But I was wondering, in anyone could tell me, how would me make such a device? Some people told me to plant a cellphone under his car, and just have him track the GPS of the cellphone. However, a cellphone only lasts a day to a day and a half before it needs re-charging, where as I want the main character to have to track him over several days if possible, without having to swap out a phone once a day, at the risk of being caught, or seen doing it.

So I was wondering if anyone knows more about this, and how a character would do this, if that's okay?
Wire a cell phone and charger into any switched 12V battery wire. It will not drain the car battery while the car is off, and it will charge any time the car is on.

Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

34,868 posts, read 53,429,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Wire a cell phone and charger into any switched 12V battery wire. It will not drain the car battery while the car is off, and it will charge any time the car is on.
You can do it on your own car, or friends car if they want it, but how you are going to do it if you want to attach a tracker on someone's car fast, and not being seen doing it?
Few seconds attaching a device on magnet vs wiring it to battery wire. ... Hmmm, never saw that done in a movie...
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

2,287 posts, read 540,008 times
Quote:
You can do it on your own car, or friends car if they want it, but how you are going to do it if you want to attach a tracker on someone's car fast, and not being seen doing it?
Few seconds attaching a device on magnet vs wiring it to battery wire. ... Hmmm, never saw that done in a movie...
When would you ever see the installation of anything in a movie? You'd find out about it after it had been on the car for some time. Or the driver is tipped off about the bug and ditches the car.

What kind of action movies have you been watching?

Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM

4,424 posts, read 2,001,540 times
OP, I've been in the market for tracking devices for years & you are right about the battery issue. It IS a weak link. Somehow it can be done; like Lojack:

https://www.lojack.com/products/

You won't get tons of tech info from their site because they have actually been hacked before but if you use an alternative search engine there are lots of pages from hacker guys that build their own.

Old Today, 10:12 AM

3,839 posts, read 1,227,543 times
Oh okay thanks.

Yeah the main character doesn't want to spend too much time installing it or he will be seen by the neighbors possibly, and all that.

Old Today, 11:27 AM

4,226 posts, read 2,103,276 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
When would you ever see the installation of anything in a movie? You'd find out about it after it had been on the car for some time. Or the driver is tipped off about the bug and ditches the car.

What kind of action movies have you been watching?
i agree, it would be like hot-wiring a car... its risky but plausible...
a few minutes to slim-jim the actuator (or alternatively, a gadget that reads the car alarm remotes code then guesses the next rolling code to unlock); then, a few minutes to splice the wiring to the cars electrical system.

[suggestion of a b-roll montage]:
- the protagonist (or their hacker buddy) ordering a raspberry-pi online.
- soldering the g.p.s. module to the gpio terminals.
- installing some gnu/linux o.s. on it.
- setting up crontab to automatically scan and connect to any nearby wi-fi network (wi-fi is ubiquitous enough that a lot of cafés, hotels, mobile hotspots, ... are unsecured -- even certain cars have mobile hotspot from the factory).
- maybe put a big-ass battery so that the unit can be magnetically placed under the car (or gain entry and plug into the cigarette-lighter like mentioned above).
- the raspberry-pi hosts an apache webserver that the protagonist can type in the url in their cellular-telefone and see a map of their location.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; Today at 11:36 AM..

Old Today, 01:35 PM

13,633 posts, read 24,701,476 times
Another alternative that's even better is to enable tracking on the suspect's phone. Then you can track everywhere they go. Not just where their car goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology