Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2019, 09:52 AM

35,036 posts, read 16,987,357 times

Advertisements

Time was when Apple Support was accessible and easy to use. The online site had options such as arranging a callback time, or getting an immediate callback. Or you could easily find their 1-800 number. It It was easy to find the "Genius Bar" in Apple stores and set up an appointment. All of this is still possible but only by roundabout and annoying ways. The linguistic skills of Customer Care personal has declined, though not as dramatically as accessibility.

Is Apple heading down the same road as Sears, Circuit City and most of the major department store in "escalating" the difficulty of reaching highly compensated and skilled personnel? Is this now the "American way", to start out with great service, whether in-store or online, and then slowly degrade it? Sure seems that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 07:32 PM

For more on the decrepit state of retail, see Three Hundred Retail Store Closures Announced In One Day. People would rather shop online if dealing with a store is downright annoying or worse.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:49 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Time was when Apple Support was accessible and easy to use. The online site had options such as arranging a callback time, or getting an immediate callback. Or you could easily find their 1-800 number. It It was easy to find the "Genius Bar" in Apple stores and set up an appointment. All of this is still possible but only by roundabout and annoying ways. The linguistic skills of Customer Care personal has declined, though not as dramatically as accessibility.

Is Apple heading down the same road as Sears, Circuit City and most of the major department store in "escalating" the difficulty of reaching highly compensated and skilled personnel? Is this now the "American way", to start out with great service, whether in-store or online, and then slowly degrade it? Sure seems that way.
I believe it is still the same once you find the right location in their webpages, all of which are under "Support." In my view the problem is within the Apple webpage design. It was quite straightforward to find the link to the right customer support one needed, but now one has to go through numerous twists and turns to find it.

The main probleem I am having these days with Apple computers is the CEO's obsession with "thinness," and how difficult is for one to perform repairs or parts replacement. For example, there are PC computers that are about the size of a Mac Mini, and these are designed so that one can replace the CPU, GPU, and so on without having to solder them in place. Also the "thinness" element makes them more difficult to cool.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:56 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:

I last called Apple Support about 4 days ago, using the Call Back function. Had the same great service I've had since the first time I called them in 1988 or thereabouts. So I can't say I know what you're talking about. And I don't understand why anyone would have a hard time navigating to the proper page, I'm no genius, by any stretch.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I last called Apple Support about 4 days ago, using the Call Back function. Had the same great service I've had since the first time I called them in 1988 or thereabouts. So I can't say I know what you're talking about. And I don't understand why anyone would have a hard time navigating to the proper page, I'm no genius, by any stretch.
My problem was that even navigating to the 800 number was difficult. One of my problems turned out to be debri removal from the insert of the charging cord. That is very hard to do with an interactive online community. But I had to call the 1-800 number to get the appointment. At the store the very good assistant told me what to call the problem on the website to break through faster.

Still, I believe Apple is heading down the "K-Mart" road.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:30 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Quote:

I think it may simply be more the sign of times. With technology - people are simply relying on other mediums for support (chat, forums, etc.) or being 'nudged' to use these more automated methods. However, because the shift isn't 100% uniform across all customers/clients, you'll always have a minority (albeit it can still be a good chunk of your user base) that feel neglected or have their preferred method axed.

And this isn't just retail. Banking is another example.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
IMO demand for Apple's support has grown beyond Apple's ability to provide it in the way that they used to. The Genius Bar always looks like bedlam whenever I go to an Apple Store. I rarely need support for my Apple products, but if I have repair needs, I prefer to use an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
IMO demand for Apple's support has grown beyond Apple's ability to provide it in the way that they used to. The Genius Bar always looks like bedlam whenever I go to an Apple Store. I rarely need support for my Apple products, but if I have repair needs, I prefer to use an Apple Authorized Service Provider.
They could have acquired the necessary resources but chose not to. In my view that's a major mistake. Turning cell phones, tablets etc. into commodities will allow the cheaper, i.e. Chinese models to invade the market, at prices where you would throw away rather than keep the item. Ever here of paying to fix a microwave these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology