U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 08:29 AM

1,463 posts, read 453,959 times

Advertisements

In terms of global or national catastrophes, my main concern is EMP/CME. We are due, or maybe even overdue, for a major CME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 03:48 PM

4,142 posts, read 7,025,590 times
Just remember that almost all of these "studies" are financed by people or agencies with an agenda. That agenda is to spread panic and insanity amongst the brainwashees so they will do as they are told. Like spreading this malarky.

Warming our earth a few degrees F over 100 years or so would have 50:1 positive:negative effects.

If you doubt that, imagine the earth cooling a few degrees. Far more people die of cold exposure in the winter than die of heat injury in the summer.

"Science" has been corrupted by special interests with an agenda. If you see it in the NYT or hear it on CNN or NBC, rotate 180 degrees and you'll likely find the truth.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:23 PM

2,729 posts, read 956,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
In terms of global or national catastrophes, my main concern is EMP/CME. We are due, or maybe even overdue, for a major CME.

More to the point of likelihood of crisis-- 1 in every 10,000 Americans will die in an auto accident each year.

In fact, I just read that 95% of fatal car accidents occur within 25 miles of home... I'm putting my house up for sale TODAY. I gotta move out of here before it's too late!

Old 04-12-2019, 06:34 AM

1,463 posts, read 453,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
More to the point of likelihood of crisis-- 1 in every 10,000 Americans will die in an auto accident each year.

In fact, I just read that 95% of fatal car accidents occur within 25 miles of home... I'm putting my house up for sale TODAY. I gotta move out of here before it's too late!
Completely reasonable.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:55 AM

1,129 posts, read 554,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
A mass release of methane from the Arctic may come a lot sooner than there is time for to come up with geoengineering techniques to remove it before it happens. The book's author, David Wallace-Wells, says the earth is at 1.1, but northern Canada has already surpassed that, it's increase is now at 2.3.

Canada is warming twice as fast as the rest of the world according to the latest scientific report from Environment and Climate Change Canada:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/cana...port-1.4361044

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47754189

" ..... Canada's annual average temperature has warmed by an estimated 1.7C (3F) since 1948, when nationwide temperatures were first recorded.

The largest temperature increases have been seen in the North, the Prairies, and in northern British Columbia.

Annual average temperature in northern Canada increased by approximately 2.3C. ...... "

Much of which can be attributed to our current inter-glacial period, having occurred many times over throughout our planets' history. From a timeline perspective, we're just now coming out of the last ice age.
It would be getting warmer even if the earth were uninhabited.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:25 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,340,845 times
Yeah. But does that actually matter? Speaking for myself, whatever it's attributed to or however many times in the past it's happened isn't important to me. The past is the past and none of us were there and it's over and done with. But what is happening now is the here and now in our lifetimes, with entirely different environments and conditions around the world and the largest population of humans that have ever existed on Earth in the entire planet's history. Humans and all other living things in nature in many places may not have enough time or resources to make the necessary adaptations and adjustments to such rapidly changing conditions. The consequences of so many things being unable to adapt are too many to enumerate.

My post was mainly in response to rjshae's comments about the rapidity of change upsetting the environmental apple cart and about the release of Arctic methane, and I was pointing out that that has already been happening to Canada's environment.... and it's becoming more extreme with each passing year.

My interest lies mostly in learning about what kinds of constructive science and technology we can come up with that will help both humans and the rest of nature around us to adapt to the much more extreme changes and conditions that still face us in the very near future. Rjshae's comment about investigating ideas like geoengineering techniques for capture and removal of extreme methane releases from the Arctic seems like a good idea to me - if it can be done - but I think if that is going to happen it better happen very, very soon.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:21 PM

358 posts, read 47,575 times
Will the earth become uninhabitable?

Probably, if we continue to behave as mammals tend to do.

I first became aware of man caused global warning in the early 80's.

At that time, there was a common scientific view that we needed to reduce our carbon emissions by 20% THEN. That if we did not do so, it would be too late within a couple of years.

I suspect human beings may be running out of time. Am I bothered? Perhaps just a bit; I've always assumed I'd be dead long before climate change became really inconvenient on a personal level. With luck, I might live another 15 years, so I may experience some discomfort.

I think Millennials will live long enough to be really seriously inconvenienced. By that time, most dickheads will have stopped arguing about causes, and be more concerned with effects, and staying alive..

The good news is that humans going extinct will be a good thing for the planet. It should return to a pristine state after a million years or so, a blink in universal time.

If you have not seen it, I recommend the documentary series, "Life without people". The link below is I think the original doco. There is also a series. I found it fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DijodN3Vu-k

Old 04-13-2019, 04:55 PM

3,325 posts, read 1,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
What's a CME? Catastrophic Medical Event? Close my Eyes?

Old 04-13-2019, 05:00 PM

3,317 posts, read 1,786,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What's a CME? Catastrophic Medical Event? Close my Eyes?
LOL. I don't know either-maybe mass extinction caused by asteroid?

Old 04-13-2019, 05:06 PM

3,317 posts, read 1,786,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
We're not seeing anything we haven't seen before-- many times.
Warming is happening much faster, 10 times faster actually, than to be expected for basic post ice age warming. So no, we have not seen it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology