U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 05:12 PM

6,226 posts, read 2,196,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Nuclear power plants leave much more to be concerned about (in my opinion) as the devastation from them is truly horrific, and still happening now, and probably will continue.
Have you looked up the long term death totals for Three Mile Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 05:57 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,340,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What's a CME? Catastrophic Medical Event? Close my Eyes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
LOL. I don't know either-maybe mass extinction caused by asteroid?

A CME is a coronal mass ejection.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
In terms of global or national catastrophes, my main concern is EMP/CME. We are due, or maybe even overdue, for a major CME.

I'd happily take either one or both of those over what we have to look forward to long term from the type of climate change that is happening now. Frankly, a massive EMP with decades long lasting effects might be the best medicine that could happen to the planet right now to get it back on track again.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:05 PM

19,233 posts, read 13,933,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
and they consider it such an important book that they're posting the first chapter on their website:
The most notorious was 252 million years ago; it began when carbon warmed the planet by five degrees Celsius, accelerated when that warming triggered the release of methane, another greenhouse gas, and ended with all but a sliver of life on Earth dead.

That's nothing but lies.

CO2 never killed anything.

The Liar lied by omission when he blatantly and deceptively failed to tell you that the CO2 was the result of massive volcanic activity, and I don't mean like Mount Saint Helens or Mount Pinatubo.

I mean like the Deccan Traps or Siberian Traps and others.

The Deccan Traps are one of the largest volcanic provinces in the world. It consists of a composite thickness of more than 6,500 feet (>2,000 m) of flat-lying basalt lava flows and covers an area of nearly 200,000 square miles (500,000 square km) (roughly the size of the states of Washington and Oregon combined) in west-central India. Estimates of the original area covered by the lava flows are as high as 600,000 square miles (1.5 million square km). The volume of basalt is estimated to be 122,750 cubic miles (512,000 cubic km)(the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens produced 1 cubic km of volcanic material). The Deccan Traps are flood basalts similar to the Columbia River basalts of the northwestern United States.

These Trap type events and others related to them do not last for a few days or weeks or months.

They last for millennia, even eons. The Siberian Traps erupted continuously for ~2 Million years.

It wasn't the CO2, it was the Sulfur, Sulfur Oxide and Sulfur Dioxide emitted by the volcanic activity.

Yeah, you know, Acid Rain.

In medium to high concentrations, Acid Rain kills vegetation. In low to high concentrations, Acid Rain kills aquatic life.

That's what happened.

Acid Rain kills off aquatic life in ponds, lakes and shallow inland seas, as well as streams and rivers. The animals in the ecosystem that rely on those bodies of water for a source of food, whether that food is animal or vegetable, die off.

Then the predators who prey on the animals dependent on aquatic life either die off, prey on each other until the die off, or move into another ecosystem in search of food.

Now ecosystems become imbalanced with the influx of large numbers of varied predators.

In short order, the predators kill off everything, then die off, turn on each other or move to another ecosystem.

Lather Rinse Repeat until there's nothing left.

Acid Rain plus Acid Snow gets into the tributaries, then the river and empties into deltas.

Now, all the aquatic life in the deltas die off, and you have a cascade effect as sea creatures that rely on aquatic life in the delta die off, and the predators that rely on them die off, prey on each or move to other areas in search of food.

Run-off from land into coastal water does the same thing, and, of course, Acid Rain doesn't just fall on land, it falls in the ocean, too, where it kills plankton and other life resulting in the destruction of life.

But, that's just the Troposphere.

Volcanic ash, Sulfur and other particulate matter that gets ejected into the Stratosphere stays there for decades and decades before it ever falls out.

It reflects UV-A, UV-B and UV-C back into Space, causing Earth to cool, and the blocked sunlight kills vegetation, which also results in a cascading chain of extinctions.

So, he's a goddam liar and you can tell him I said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Point well taken...However: as Alpine glaciers have receded in recent years, long dead tree stumps dated to the Roman Warm Period have been exposed. Those trees didn't germinate under the glaciers.

Odd, but Julius Caesar didn't mention glaciers in his Commentaries, although he had to cross the Alps with his troops several times and he was quite explicit & complete about describing the natural history & various natural phenomena he encountered on his exploits north of Italy....And Europe hasn't wandered a whole lot in the last 2000 yrs...
That's right.

The Liars won't tell you it was warm enough in Britain to grow grapes for wine, and, boy, Romans loved and prized their wine from Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
A mass release of methane from the Arctic may come a lot sooner than there is time for to come up with geoengineering techniques to remove it before it happens.
Methane?

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

Maybe I should let your government explain it to you:

Calculations and some preliminary experiments suggest that an early methane atmosphere would have been polymerized by solar ultraviolet radiation in geologically short periods of time. An oil slick 1 to 10 meters thick could have been produced in this way and might well have been of considerable importance in the development of life.

It's called the photo-chemical reaction and they do teach that in first year organic chemistry at university.

Methane cannot exist in Earth's atmosphere in significant quantities for extended periods of time.

The fact that Methane is measured in parts per Billion instead of parts per Million should have been your first clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
From a timeline perspective, we're just now coming out of the last ice age.
No, you're not. You're in an Ice Age and will be for about the next 2.5 Million years at least.

Once the Antarctic Continent is pushed out of the Antarctic Circle by tectonic action, your climate will change to be warmer and wetter.

If you were to visit Earth then, most of Earth would be tropical rain forest, like it used to be before the Antarctic Continent started entering the Antarctic Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
My interest lies mostly in learning about what kinds of constructive science and technology we can come up with that will help both humans and the rest of nature around us to adapt to the much more extreme changes and conditions that still face us in the very near future.
What extreme changes?

It is an irrefutable scientific fact that Earth becomes warmer and wetter/humid, not drier and less humid.

It's also an irrefutable scientific fact that in every single Inter-Glacial Period the sea levels have increased 3 meters to 10 meters, even when CO2 levels were in the range 260 ppm to 280 ppm CO2.

So, if you never burned an ounce of fossil fuels, the sea level would still rise another 3 meters to 10 meters, and there ain't a damn thing anyone can do about it.

Even if you managed to restore CO2 levels to 260-280 ppm CO2, the sea level would still rise another 3 meters to 10 meters, and there ain't a damn thing anyone can do about it.

It's not my fault people built up coastal areas before anyone had a clue there were Ice Ages or that in the current Ice Age, the Earth is glaciated 80% of the time and only 20% of the time there is an Inter-Glacial Period like we're in now.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite
A mass release of methane from the Arctic may come a lot sooner than there is time for to come up with geoengineering techniques to remove it before it happens.
Methane?

Calculations and some preliminary experiments suggest that an early methane atmosphere would have been polymerized by solar ultraviolet radiation in geologically short periods of time. An oil slick 1 to 10 meters thick could have been produced in this way and might well have been of considerable importance in the development of life.

It's called the photo-chemical reaction and they do teach that in first year organic chemistry at university.

Methane cannot exist in Earth's atmosphere in significant quantities for extended periods of time.

The fact that Methane is measured in parts per Billion instead of parts per Million should have been your first clue.

Do I have any idea what I'm talking about? Uummmm ..... yes??? I think I do. Usually.

I don't know what you thought I was talking about. I do know that I certainly was NOT talking about what you're talking about in your responses to me.

I'm feeling quite confident that both I and the person I was responding to were talking (speculating actually) about the possible potential for future geoengineering technologies for capturing the very large quantities of methane that are being released from the Arctic region's clathrates and permafrost which are now rapidly breaking down.

Maybe you should read that post of mine again. Likewise with the other post of mine that you responded to. You seem to be confused and not comprehending my posts.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:48 PM

4,141 posts, read 7,025,590 times
Thanks for the excellent post, Mircea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
More to the point of likelihood of crisis-- 1 in every 10,000 Americans will die in an auto accident each year.

In fact, I just read that 95% of fatal car accidents occur within 25 miles of home... I'm putting my house up for sale TODAY. I gotta move out of here before it's too late!
Amen to that logic! You need to get out of that neighborhood FAST! Who knew how dangerous it could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Completely reasonable.
Yup. 100%, maybe more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Much of which can be attributed to our current inter-glacial period, having occurred many times over throughout our planets' history. From a timeline perspective, we're just now coming out of the last ice age.
It would be getting warmer even if the earth were uninhabited.
That would be terrible! Who would be here to spread panic and reap in the personal profits, financial and power-over-others, if the earth were uninhabited? I'm moving out of my neighborhood immediately!

Old Today, 07:26 PM

7,136 posts, read 4,528,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Just remember that almost all of these "studies" are financed by people or agencies with an agenda. That agenda is to spread panic and insanity amongst the brainwashees so they will do as they are told. Like spreading this malarky.
This is the Science forum, not the Ignorant Right Wing Conspiracy forum. Discussions about science are evidence-based, not just repetitions of talk radio propaganda. So what's your evidence for that accusation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The most notorious was 252 million years ago; it began when carbon warmed the planet by five degrees Celsius, accelerated when that warming triggered the release of methane, another greenhouse gas, and ended with all but a sliver of life on Earth dead.

That's nothing but lies.

CO2 never killed anything.

The Liar lied by omission when he blatantly and deceptively failed to tell you that the CO2 was the result of massive volcanic activity, and I don't mean like Mount Saint Helens or Mount Pinatubo.

I mean like the Deccan Traps or Siberian Traps and others.

The Deccan Traps are one of the largest volcanic provinces in the world. It consists of a composite thickness of more than 6,500 feet (>2,000 m) of flat-lying basalt lava flows and covers an area of nearly 200,000 square miles (500,000 square km) (roughly the size of the states of Washington and Oregon combined) in west-central India. Estimates of the original area covered by the lava flows are as high as 600,000 square miles (1.5 million square km). The volume of basalt is estimated to be 122,750 cubic miles (512,000 cubic km)(the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens produced 1 cubic km of volcanic material). The Deccan Traps are flood basalts similar to the Columbia River basalts of the northwestern United States.

These Trap type events and others related to them do not last for a few days or weeks or months.

They last for millennia, even eons. The Siberian Traps erupted continuously for ~2 Million years.

It wasn't the CO2, it was the Sulfur, Sulfur Oxide and Sulfur Dioxide emitted by the volcanic activity.

Yeah, you know, Acid Rain.

In medium to high concentrations, Acid Rain kills vegetation. In low to high concentrations, Acid Rain kills aquatic life.

That's what happened.

Acid Rain kills off aquatic life in ponds, lakes and shallow inland seas, as well as streams and rivers. The animals in the ecosystem that rely on those bodies of water for a source of food, whether that food is animal or vegetable, die off.

Then the predators who prey on the animals dependent on aquatic life either die off, prey on each other until the die off, or move into another ecosystem in search of food.

Now ecosystems become imbalanced with the influx of large numbers of varied predators.

In short order, the predators kill off everything, then die off, turn on each other or move to another ecosystem.

Lather Rinse Repeat until there's nothing left.

Acid Rain plus Acid Snow gets into the tributaries, then the river and empties into deltas.

Now, all the aquatic life in the deltas die off, and you have a cascade effect as sea creatures that rely on aquatic life in the delta die off, and the predators that rely on them die off, prey on each or move to other areas in search of food.

Run-off from land into coastal water does the same thing, and, of course, Acid Rain doesn't just fall on land, it falls in the ocean, too, where it kills plankton and other life resulting in the destruction of life.

But, that's just the Troposphere.

Volcanic ash, Sulfur and other particulate matter that gets ejected into the Stratosphere stays there for decades and decades before it ever falls out.

It reflects UV-A, UV-B and UV-C back into Space, causing Earth to cool, and the blocked sunlight kills vegetation, which also results in a cascading chain of extinctions.

So, he's a goddam liar and you can tell him I said that.

That's right.

The Liars won't tell you it was warm enough in Britain to grow grapes for wine, and, boy, Romans loved and prized their wine from Britain.

Methane?

No, you're not. You're in an Ice Age and will be for about the next 2.5 Million years at least.

Once the Antarctic Continent is pushed out of the Antarctic Circle by tectonic action, your climate will change to be warmer and wetter.

If you were to visit Earth then, most of Earth would be tropical rain forest, like it used to be before the Antarctic Continent started entering the Antarctic Circle.

What extreme changes?

It is an irrefutable scientific fact that Earth becomes warmer and wetter/humid, not drier and less humid.

It's also an irrefutable scientific fact that in every single Inter-Glacial Period the sea levels have increased 3 meters to 10 meters, even when CO2 levels were in the range 260 ppm to 280 ppm CO2.

So, if you never burned an ounce of fossil fuels, the sea level would still rise another 3 meters to 10 meters, and there ain't a damn thing anyone can do about it.

Even if you managed to restore CO2 levels to 260-280 ppm CO2, the sea level would still rise another 3 meters to 10 meters, and there ain't a damn thing anyone can do about it.

It's not my fault people built up coastal areas before anyone had a clue there were Ice Ages or that in the current Ice Age, the Earth is glaciated 80% of the time and only 20% of the time there is an Inter-Glacial Period like we're in now.
Do you genuinely not realize that many of the lies you repeated in this post directly contradict the lies you have repeated in previous posts? Like the methane in the atmosphere, for example.

You don't, do you? Because you genuinely do not understand any of the things you copy and paste.

Again, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. You don't even have a middle-school level comprehension of the science at work here. You just scrounge around for right-wing denialist sites that agree with what you want to think, and cherry pick quotes that you don't understand. Why do you get so much apparent satisfaction from that? If it were me, I'd be embarrassed to demonstrate how ignorant I was of the subject everyone else is discussing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology