U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2019, 11:39 AM

76 posts, read 10,197 times

Advertisements

"Meet George Jetson"

Of the several designs out now for personal flying vehicles, I believe this one, the Black Fly has the most promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhKTCbbqbaE

It can takeoff from your driveway and land anywhere, and as a former small aircraft pilot, I do like the idea of having some kind of wing there, at least give me the chance to do a hard controlled crash insead of dropping straight out of the air like a stone. (Just looking at it though, I bet it has a glide slope just short of murder!)

The drawback is of course the limited range due to battery efficiency, it does about 60 miles an hour for 25 minutes, 25 mile range on a charge.

They do seem to have done a lot of their homework though as opposed to some of the other systems.

That "E-Hang" craft scares me, if the craft is coming in for a landing and slips in a gust of wind, those rotors would do a number on someone, at least a flimsy shroud would seem in order, and for the Black Fly there ^ too, it's all just good and safe until it isn't!

And the cost of this Black Fly is supposed to be comparable to an SUV, the E-Hang costs about $250K.

What do you think, would you own one or even just go up in one?

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 03-12-2019 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 02:38 PM

27,725 posts, read 39,173,776 times
Black Fly. Two-seater. Longer range. I'm in.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:24 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,119,605 times
What infrastructure changes would be needed? Parking spaces built, new laws passed, you cannot have every Tom,Dick,and Harry whizzing about the sky wherever they want to and at whatever height they want to.

There are so many other things to consider when talking about a vehicle which can go in 3D space rather than one which just moves along the ground. The whole thing is a nightmare of organisation so I do not think these things will appear until we have AI and robot control all worked out - as well as a proper drive systems which does not use blades or jets of any kind.

The military already has all the technology for this if they wanted to release it from secret projects.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:59 PM

27,725 posts, read 39,173,776 times
You had me until the last sentence. You lost credibility.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:48 AM

76 posts, read 10,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
What infrastructure changes would be needed? Parking spaces built, new laws passed, you cannot have every Tom,Dick,and Harry whizzing about the sky wherever they want to and at whatever height they want to.

There are so many other things to consider when talking about a vehicle which can go in 3D space rather than one which just moves along the ground. The whole thing is a nightmare of organisation so I do not think these things will appear until we have AI and robot control all worked out - as well as a proper drive systems which does not use blades or jets of any kind.

The military already has all the technology for this if they wanted to release it from secret projects.

Yes, yes indeed... and this is why I don't really believe these are going to become commonplace or for large scale commuting...

Not until they figure out how to put brakes on 'em.

I myself don't really like heights, and can't say I liked them when I flew small aircraft. (just a student pilot in the Aero Club at Holloman AFB)

This looks like it could scoot along the ground at maybe 10 feet pretty well, much like a hovercraft, but there is no landing gear either, so bringing one down in an emergency might be hairy.

That electric motor is one of the main breakthroughs here, did you guys see that?!

But yeah, I really don't like the idea of sitting down to dinner in my apartment and having an unexpected guest "crash" in.

I'm not a great believer in the autonomous car either, "Murphy" will probably take care of that one.

But, for rural areas or say a farmer or rancher, these might be pretty awesome!

Thx

Old 03-13-2019, 02:59 AM

390 posts, read 66,233 times
Quote:
What infrastructure changes would be needed?
you would need the ai to be perfected enough. until we have self-driving cars, we wont have cars that fly-- even if we have cars that fly.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:01 PM

1,477 posts, read 779,569 times
An airborne moped. Only took 115 years after the Wright Bros.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 PM

13,541 posts, read 9,607,031 times
The problem with all aircraft is the efficiency.
When it comes to mass mobility, private aircraft are not the solution.

To be honest, I do like the tandem wing. Reminds me of the Ligeti Stratos.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 PM

5,064 posts, read 2,626,679 times
I can see how police and emergency services can use this in high traffic areas.

Old Today, 12:39 PM

8,927 posts, read 2,218,658 times
Quote:

We are about due for the next big infrastructure project, its been how many decades since the interstate highways were created?!! What big infrastructure project is our time going to be known for in the future, that people are still using at that time?

For vehicles like this to really be effective, we need some form of antigravity or gravity control, trying to create things like this using rotors is kind of pointless.

When was the last time you heard of any great strides being made in anti-grav or gravity control? I cannot think of any! Surely there are people out there working on it (American anti grav has been around for decades now)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or